Author Topic: Rudder controls while taxiing/takeoff  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Rudder controls while taxiing/takeoff
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2004, 03:28:38 AM »
The massive swings with CH pedals (at all deadband and dampening settings) are uncontrolled careening and not taxiing. It is nowhere near normal or something that can be gotten used to after fiddling with settings. It is a bug.

Curious... does HTC have a set of CH USB pedals so this effect can be reproduced?

Offline scott123

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2004, 03:50:50 AM »
I initially had problems in AH II,but you just have to get used to the fact that you need small increments of rudder both left an right till you build up speed.You are I think over correcting.I have no problems now taking off in AH  II.

I do think a locking tail wheel would be a good idea though,and more realistic,most WWII aircraft had them.

:)

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2004, 05:57:01 AM »
When hitech mentioned the tailwheel slop, I naturally asked in text buffer about the possibility of lockable tailwheels for a/c that had them. His reply was that he didn't see much possibility of that happening. This was last week so he may have thought that I was having isolated problems with it. I do think there is a problem. I'm not speaking for him; I'm just relaying what was said.

Offline Boat

• Zinc Member
      • http://None
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2004, 11:21:15 AM »
Originally posted by Rolex
The massive swings with CH pedals (at all deadband and dampening settings) are uncontrolled careening and not taxiing. It is nowhere near normal or something that can be gotten used to after fiddling with settings. It is a bug.

Right. It's a bug and has nothing to do with winds or operator input and it should be fixed.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2004, 12:40:56 PM »
Boat, I don't belive there is a bug in the  system. Make sure you have the damper on your rudder set very very low. Putting much damper in would create a very hard to control aircraft.

HiTech

Offline DktrEvil

• Copper Member
      • TheFunZone.com
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2004, 12:52:01 PM »
I bought USB Pro peddles a few weeks ago and they worked great in AH I.

AH II is a different story when it comes to taxing/landing.  I landed a 190 last night and attempted to straighten out the nose with my peddle to stay on the runway and immediately lost control, went off the runway and lost my gear, and ended up ditching.

I was not doing anything wrong and had I done the same movements in AH I, I would have been fine.

I didn't pay over $100 for peddles just to disable some of their features and I should't have to.
+Dr Evil's Death Squadron+

Let this be a lesson to you all that this organization will not tolerate .......... F-a-i-l-u-r-e!

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2004, 01:49:30 PM »
DktrEvil, It is not, nore will it be the same as AHI. Landing a tail drager, and learning to stear is not a simple task. I also use CH rudder pedals. The trick is normaly called dancing on the rudder pedals, press quickly then release it. If you hold to long and the nose starts to swing greatly, nice ground loops devlope.

HiTech

Offline DktrEvil

• Copper Member
      • TheFunZone.com
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2004, 01:53:18 PM »
I will try "toe tapping" the pedals and see what happens.
+Dr Evil's Death Squadron+

Let this be a lesson to you all that this organization will not tolerate .......... F-a-i-l-u-r-e!

Offline Boat

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2004, 01:59:40 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Boat, I don't belive there is a bug in the  system. Make sure you have the damper on your rudder set very very low. Putting much damper in would create a very hard to control aircraft.

HiTech

I've tried the damper everywhere from the bottom to the top of the slider and it makes no difference. I still taxi around the field like a DUI. Aircraft pullls in one direction and by the time you have given it enough rudder to go the other way, you have overcompensated. Call it what you will but I can steer the aircraft on the ground in AH. I cannot do so in Beta.

I have toe brakes enabled and I'm going to try the pedals with brakes disabled and see if that makes any difference.

Offline Boat

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2004, 02:23:43 PM »
Originally posted by Boat

I have toe brakes enabled and I'm going to try the pedals with brakes disabled and see if that makes any difference.

Nope.

Offline 2Hawks

• Nickel Member
      • http://daniel.clanbaker.com
It's real ppl...
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2004, 02:59:42 PM »
Originally posted by Boat
Right. It's a bug and has nothing to do with winds or operator input and it should be fixed.

It's real ppl. It's not a bug. If anything, I think the swing is undermodeled. You have to stay ahead of the yaw when rolling out. Holding the stick back helps keep pressure on the tail wheel (Corsairs Especially) for the initial roll.

But Face it ppl, It's been an arcade up to now. Your going to have to practice for a more accurate flight model. Planes weighed thousands of pounds, and not all of it was in the front. Your basically getting into whats called 'Pilot induced ocilation'.

Practice, and correct minor deviances fast.

Offline ELKON

• Zinc Member
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2004, 03:05:29 PM »
Hi folks !
Im using a Saitek X36 combo and the effect is the same as long as im slow. Its getting better with increasing speed. I ecpect to see soon something that happend in real alot : crashing Bf 109's while taking off or landing.

Weidmannsheil

Elkon

http://www.whitewings.de

Offline fluffy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2004, 03:15:00 PM »
Adjust the rudder response profile - worked for me. I was getting really bad trouble on intial takeoff and taxiing with 'wander' - felt like both tires were flat or something. I figured it was unlocked tailwheel combined with oversensitive rudder input.  I had the same problem with AH1 way back in AHI beta, but not so bad.  I had to zero out the first two sliders in the rudder profile and adjust the rest accordingly.  Works like a dream.

I use an old MS Pro jstick with the twist axis controlling the rudders, so this issue was doubly troublesome for me because the handle is a bit loose and outputs small random rudder signals.
AHII has tons of room for customizing controls.

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2004, 03:53:58 PM »
I had this problem with my ch pro pedals in AH1. The way I fixed it is in the windows calibration.

Before you start the calibration push your toe brakes down 1 to 2 inches. Then when it asks you to calibrate them moving in full range of motion only push the brakes to full down position, never letting the calibration sense the first 1 to 2 inches of travel. It is kind of like setting a manual dampening and it wont exibit the problems of oversensitivity. You can even set your feet on the rudders comfortably without fear of hitting the brakes.

Play with the cal a bit to set it up how you like it best.

Kevin
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron

Offline FBScud

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2004, 05:35:03 PM »
I disabled my toe brakes and I am getting a bit more used to it.  Take offs are much better but taxiing after landing is still a trip.  While I bow to Hi Tech's superior experience, my real life exposure to taxiing has proved to be far less difficult, but then I didn't have the horsepower and torque up front that these beasts have.