Author Topic: Land Mode and Shore Battery  (Read 284 times)

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
Land Mode and Shore Battery
« on: June 09, 2004, 02:27:21 PM »
I've noticed this before. and saw it again when shelling the shore battery at A41 on Baltic, 6/9/2004, with 8" ship guns.

First, Land Mode (W) seems to wander off target. The hit point drops and drifts to the left, with no turning of the ship involved. I had to constantly correct aim. Finally, up close, I could not get gun to point to target using land mode.

I observed the above while trying to destroy the Shore Gun. I seemed to hit it many times, dozens, but it would not be destroyed. I've tried this before also without success. I've never been able to destroy a single shore battery.

One possibility is that I wasn't really hitting the gun emplacement, but some trees behind it. But I did see my shells hitting on the slope directly below the gun and walked it up until I could see explosions on the gun emplacement. However, if I was really hitting trees behind the target, this would also explain the Land Mode drift, as it was zeroed in behind the emplacement, not on it. But for this to be true, the hits I saw on the slope below the shore battery, and the explosions on it had to be behind the battery and showing through the fill on which the battery is mounted.

I hope the above will help locate the problem, but if you need any more info, e-mail me for contact arrangements.

grizzly