Author Topic: Name my Ship  (Read 2614 times)

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Name my Ship
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2004, 03:44:47 PM »
Apocalyptic Avenger!
NEXX

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
Name my Ship
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2004, 04:06:21 PM »
the uh valator

or  the

turkey

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Name my Ship
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2004, 04:18:55 PM »
it's a Sonic Voyager Gunship of course

SV-38 for short
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Weavling

• Copper Member
Name my Ship
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2004, 10:22:48 PM »
Heh, you guys come up with some interesting stuff!  :aok

Ya, not too many have really liked it with the large rocket.  I put it in there to give it some character, and something to remember it by.  Of course it doesn't have it on all the time, just when it needs to take out something big.  I'll consider changeing that though.  The other fighters I have designed for this "faction" won't have the "unbalanced big arse rocket" syndrome, but they'll have big arse rockets none the less.  ;)  It's a trademark for this group of fighters I've designed.

I used 3D Studio Max 4 to build the model.  The texture mapping is pretty much the most basic you can get.  I took a metal panel texture, and simply tiled it all over the ship.  I tweaked the settings of course until it looked semi decent.  I don't have photoshop or anything so I can't create my own textures to do UVW mapping.  But I'm glad you like it!  :cool:

BTW, keep in mind this is a LIGHT fighter.  Bigger stuff is on the way.  :p

edit: BTW, for the one who thought that it looked like a Wing Commander 3 Kilrathi fighter, I bet I know why you'd think that.  I took inspiration from the Kilrathi light figher Darket.  The design is similar in that it has duel fuselages that have either guns or the cockpit and have engines on the back.  The wings were also not symetrical as one of them was larger and pointed forward of the ship, while the other side had a wing that was the same shape, but smaller and did not extend as forward as the other.

Kinda busy at the moment, but graduation is on thursday.  I'll soon have much more free time to create my abominations.  :D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 10:26:48 PM by Weavling »

Offline Corwin

• Copper Member
Name my Ship
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2004, 10:37:02 AM »
The Fenestrator
The Robe and Wizard Hat
BloodNinja
Lamont Cranston

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Name my Ship
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2004, 11:35:13 AM »
The (insert faction name here) needed something light and fast with heavy weaponry to begin to hammer away at the enemies capital ships that had proved so dominant in the past but shown vulnerabilities against what has become known as a "snubfighter". Thus the LHFF Mk1 was brought off the drawing boards and into reality for combat feasibility studies. The acronym LHFF stands for Lightweight High-speed Fast Fight (aka F***er by some pilots) and is the first in a new series of earth based aerospace defense fighters that have both atmospheric and space flight in mind when they were designed. This fighter can carry a mulitude of weaponry including the newly designed ship killer missle designed for operation only in space flight.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
Name my Ship
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2004, 02:33:39 PM »
F4U8CN1K2j13C, the Nikicorsair

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
Name my Ship
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2004, 02:34:49 PM »
Also known as the "Super-HO"

Offline Weavling

• Copper Member
Name my Ship
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2004, 02:45:47 PM »
Thats a pretty interesting description Reschke.  Unfortunately,  this story takes place well into the future, and far from Earth.  To make a long story short, our sun unexpectedly died(not due to age), and we moved out.  But there's no way you would know that.  Still, good job!  :aok
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 06:07:33 PM by Weavling »

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Name my Ship
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2004, 01:48:32 PM »
I'll call him Bob

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Name my Ship
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2004, 04:13:36 PM »
Chukonu

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Name my Ship
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2004, 04:27:43 PM »
Black Adder ;)
NEXX

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
Name my Ship
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2004, 12:29:20 PM »
Weavling, go to the following site and check out a freeware program called "The GIMP."

http://gug.sunsite.dk/

It has most of the capabilities of expensive programs like Photoshop.  Email me, and I'll send you a few examples of my own artwork.  I recently upgraded to 3DSMax 6, and do all my 3D modelling in it.  Oh, you also need to check out a Max script called "Chiliskinner" and another called "Texporter."

Chiliskinner is a tool for applying and manipulating mapping coordinates. It takes your 3D model and divides it up, unfolds/flattens the pieces, and lays the flattened pieces out in a nice square pattern.  You can rearrange, stack, and scale the pieces to maximize the level of detail you need on each piece.  Then Chiliskinner applies a planer map to the flattened pieces before re-assembling them back into the 3D model.  You then use Texporter (another Max utility) to create a template bitmap of the flattened model, which you can then use The GIMP (or other 2D graphics program of you choice) to paint the template the way you want.  When you load this newly painted texture map back into Max, each section of the skin is laid exactly over the section of the model it's supposed to cover.  Hope that made sense.

Feel free to contact me if you need help with using these (rkjern@adelphia.net).  By the way, I do copy editing.  Let me know if I can be of assitance in that area.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
Name my Ship
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2004, 12:39:15 PM »
MoonHopper L-A7

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
Name my Ship
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2004, 09:26:54 PM »
The X-11 Framus Pivot
 The La MMXCII
The Belvin Snorkle.
Rikshaw
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.