Author Topic: What is Serial ATA RAID 0?  (Read 181 times)

Offline BlckMgk

• Nickel Member
What is Serial ATA RAID 0?
« on: June 18, 2004, 10:36:57 AM »
I know its a configuration between HD's, but what is it exactly? Is it easy to configure with a proper motherboard? The reason I ask is because  most of my dealings with HD's have been somewhat bothersome. I was shopping around and kept seeing RAID 0 etc, but they always show them paired.. i.e. 2x74GB 10,000RPM etc..

Tried a search for it, but just got more HD purchases.

Do I need 2 HD's to take advantage of RAID 0, is it a faster access rate between the HD?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-BM

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 10:41:54 AM »
Raid 0 is striped data across at least 2 hard drives, no fault tolerance, doubles the risk of failure. May improve performance but I wouldn't do it.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline BlckMgk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 10:46:29 AM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Raid 0 is striped data across at least 2 hard drives, no fault tolerance, doubles the risk of failure. May improve performance but I wouldn't do it.

Its what I was figuring would happen, how much of a performance increase? and How much of a stability issue?

HD's are pretty stable now-a-days, but having a no fault between 2 may get a bit hairy.

Thanks for the quick response Iron..

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 10:47:44 AM »
I couldn't advise ya on the performance issue as I have never tried it. Lemme see what I can find.

Here's a link that may give you the info you're looking for:
http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/a_raid0_ata133/
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 10:50:13 AM by AKIron »

Offline BlckMgk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 10:55:11 AM »
Good stuff... thanks again, found this:

Serial ATA RAID 0 Info

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 11:01:29 AM »
about twice as fast since the data is written across 2 paths and drives instead of one.  Downfall being twice the risk of hd failure causing the loss of data.  Backups are good.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 11:02:21 AM »
I have one of the 36GB Raptors. I bought it recently when I upgraded my mb. I had planned to overclock the P4 2.8Ghz. However, even the slightest attempt to overclock results in Windows not booting. I did some research and discovered that apparently serial ata is VERY sensitive to overclocking. I tried all the settings in the bios locking the pci bus and every other thing I could find to lock the serial controller at it's designed operating speed but to no avail.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 11:09:51 AM »
I've got two Seagate 120GB SATA drives in RAID 0 configuration.  This setup screams... it's much, much faster than my old 7200rpm non-SATA, non-RAID harddrive.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 11:15:16 AM »
Originally posted by BlckMgk
Good stuff... thanks again, found this:

Serial ATA RAID 0 Info

Interesting. In several of their "real world" application tests the raid 0 configurations were slower than single drive. They attribute that to the increased CPU load of the raid configuration. Lends credence to my sig. ;)

Was only two tests that single was faster than raid 0, a multimedia content creation test and windows xp boot test.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 11:24:43 AM by AKIron »