Author Topic: Freezes & warps  (Read 1417 times)

Offline 13Promet

• Copper Member
Freezes & warps
« on: June 20, 2004, 07:27:55 AM »
I have 2 problems left:

1) Lots of microwarps, especially when I get close to the opponent: it looks similar to WB stick stirring, but since no stick stirring is possible here ("Don't move your controls so rapidly") it must be related with the game itself. I had no such kind of problem in AH1.

2) I still have lots of freezes, not necessarly when meeting new contacts.

AH2 settings:
1280*1024
Details and rendering distance: sliders at about 50%
Textures res:1024

System:
Win XP SP1 - DX 9.1
AMD 2.4+
1GB RAM 266
Abit KD7
ATI Radeon 9600pro/256 (wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-02-040515a-015958c  drivers)
On board C-media audio + Avance AC97 addon audio board.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Re: Freezes & warps
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 09:11:26 AM »
Originally posted by 13Promet
I have 2 problems left:

1) Lots of microwarps, especially when I get close to the opponent: it looks similar to WB stick stirring, but since no stick stirring is possible here ("Don't move your controls so rapidly") it must be related with the game itself. I had no such kind of problem in AH1.

2) I still have lots of freezes, not necessarly when meeting new contacts.

AH2 settings:
1280*1024
Details and rendering distance: sliders at about 50%
Textures res:1024

System:
Win XP SP1 - DX 9.1
AMD 2.4+
1GB RAM 266
Abit KD7
ATI Radeon 9600pro/256 (wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-02-040515a-015958c  drivers)
On board C-media audio + Avance AC97 addon audio board.

I feel your pain bud. Be prepared for many ppl the advise you to dumbdown the game settings ie.  telling you to set the "detail sliders" from Setup/Video/graphic detail... to 100% Performance (All the way to the right.) And under Setup/Video/Video Settings...Set Resolution to 1024x768 or less...Set  Maxium Texture Size to 256 or less...and set the Max Frame Rate to 45. While this may help you minimize the micro freezes and the stutters..... Its hardly a playable game after such modifications. Why? Because if you want to attack a Fuel Bunker, Ammo Bunker, Troop Barracks....or any other ground target..like Gv,s. YOU ARE SCREWED....as you will need to cut the arse of an M3 or any other small ground target with you FRIKING Propeller before you will be able to see it!  :rofl
Or some might tell you your video card is a little lacking. Either way......Your system falls well enough within the "Bench MarK Machine" as well as the "Min req" machine the was stated as being able produce a playable game. These micro freezes and stutters are more responsable for the gunnery issues than we realize also....imo.  and gl.........PS...Dont forget to DUCK!!!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 12:10:58 PM by Mugzeee »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Freezes & warps
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 10:51:21 AM »
Promet: Go into dxdiag, and turn down sould acceleration 1 knotch. See if this fixes your studders.

Mugzeee: If you can't provide some assistance and just wish to whine. Would you please do it else where.

HiTech

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Freezes & warps
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 11:49:50 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
Promet: Go into dxdiag, and turn down sould acceleration 1 knotch. See if this fixes your studders.

Mugzeee: If you can't provide some assistance and just wish to whine. Would you please do it else where.

HiTech

I have no intent to offend. I provided assistance, ie...explained the settings that needed to be adjusted and where the need to be set for the most Freeze/studder free performance...As for the whine, im sure im not the first person on the BBS to whine about something.. If Whining isnt going to be permited in the BBS..Which i actually think a no whining policy is an acceptable approach. Although very hard to enforce.
Say so now.. and i shall refrain.
Originally posted by pyro

Will the system requirements increase for AH2?

Yes. Our benchmark system for AH2 is roughly a PIII 900 with a GeForce 2. That is the design limit we are using for nice playability. The minimum system will fall under that, but we won’t be able to give specifics until we get further down the development and testing road. The new graphics engine in AH2 will be much more video card dependent, so even if you have a slower CPU, a better video card may be all you need to upgrade.

I still think HTC should edit what they are claiming is a system that will provide a "Playable " Game.. the BBS proves this out time and time again
Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 07:19:24 PM by Mugzeee »

Offline 13Promet

• Copper Member
Freezes & warps
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 11:02:04 AM »
Originally posted by hitech

HiTech

Thank you, HT, freezes are gone by turning down sound acceleration :aok
BTW: what kind of functions of my audio board am I missing by employing this setting instead of full acceleration ?

What about the microwarps ? I still see them.

Thank you in advance for your help

Promet
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 11:08:54 AM by 13Promet »

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
Freezes & warps
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 11:32:33 AM »
I have my sound down to 3/4 but still experience strange freezes. I'll go from 45 fps to 1 to 19 to 40 again. Any idea's.
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
dxdiag
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 03:22:19 PM »
Hmm....where do I get to dxdiag to turn down the sound accelerator?
-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Freezes & warps
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 03:27:38 PM »
Talon:

Start/Run type in dxdiag, chose the sound tab

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
Freezes & warps
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 08:47:16 AM »
Thank you.
-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline AWwsky

• Zinc Member
Freezes & warps
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 05:33:36 AM »
I'm getting the same problematic screen freezes and have taken the same steps with reducing the sound card accelaration which has no effect on the freezes what so ever.  Then after patch 2, VOX causing micro freezes and sounding like a scratched CD became an issue.  I had none of these problems during beta or with patch 0.  All in all, these problems came about with Patch 1 for the most part.  I'd actually settle for going back to the CTD's then put up with the micro freezes and messed up VOX.  This has to be an issue with the game itself and it needs to be fixed.  I'm tired of dieing because of freezes, which are causing me to lose sight of the bandit and/or causing missed shots on targets.:mad:

Help us out here HiTech..It has to be something other then our system settings, as many have complained about it during game play, but not here in the forum.  If you cannot come up with a solution, then I will attempt a clean install of AH2 after uninstalling everything like I saw stated else where on the boards and see if that fixes the problem.

AWwsky

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
Freezes & warps
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 09:29:11 AM »
look at the date of the original post - this post is a few patches old.

Offline AWwsky

• Zinc Member
Freezes & warps
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2004, 12:55:39 PM »
Yeah, I realized that after I hit the submit button.  I'll just have to make a fresh post.  To bad there's no Un-Submit button  LOL

AWwsky
Take off is optional...Come to think of it, so is landing!!!

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
Freezes & warps
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2004, 11:56:39 AM »
Are you using on-board (integrated) sound hardware? Back when the 1.6 to 2.4 systems were being built many Motherboard manufacturers had integrated 3D soundcards that sucked the life out of a computer. I always completely disabled those via BIOS and ran a normal soundcard (always had great luck with the SB Live series).

Just a thought.

Offline 13Promet

• Copper Member
Freezes & warps
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2004, 09:33:43 AM »
Unfortunately stutters are back since patch 3.

TY edbert: disabling onboard audio greatly improved frame rate.

Offline AWwsky

• Zinc Member
Freezes & warps
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2004, 09:48:23 AM »
Never ever would I suggest getting a PC with onboard sound/video.  I have never liked intergrated crap.  I built over a 1000 computers and know what not to get when it comes to mother boards.  I owned only one PC that had intergrated video and audio and will never own another.  That was a Packard Hell, err I mean Packard Bell. (Pentium 100Mhz that is somewhat obsolete these days).  Guess that rules out your theory on that one:cool:

AWwsky

Take off is optional..Come to think of it, so is landing!!!