Author Topic: My experience with Patch 3 (pauses)  (Read 283 times)

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
My experience with Patch 3 (pauses)
« on: June 25, 2004, 09:40:28 AM »
Installed patch as soon as Pyro's slipup was fixed.

I also at the same time increased my Texture size from 512 to 1024.

For the first 30-60 minutes I was experiencing alot of momentary freezes while flying.
After 60 minutes or so the pauses stopped and the game was overall smoother than with patch 2.  

Aside from the pauses seems a step in the right direction.

No loss of text buffer, no CTD's (not that they were common for me before)

I do experience slight studdering when looking left or right and rolling when I can see the ground texture.  Have to say that was also an issue for me with AH1.

SKurj

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Re: My experience with Patch 3 (pauses)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 11:37:04 AM »
Originally posted by SKurj
I also at the same time increased my Texture size from 512 to 1024.

For the first 30-60 minutes I was experiencing alot of momentary freezes while flying.
After 60 minutes or so the pauses stopped

From what you said your really not having a problem. Changing your texture size will cause studders as a new texture is loaded as you fly. A new plane, new terrain etc. etc. After that sixty minutes all the "new" textures ( because you changed the size ) had been encountered and loaded.

If a new skin became available while you were on and he flew in your area you would have a mini freeze while that new texture was filed. Same goes for flying over "new" terrain.

As long as you don't change your texture size those textures are now "loaded"  so the next time you go online they're already there.

I think a good deal of posts on mini freezes and studders are related to this. It's normal for the first hour when you fiddle with settings.

Bet you a cheep beer the next time you go up "if" you don't mess with your settings it will be smooth.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 11:58:38 AM »
Skurj, I cannot tell if you are registering a complaint/problem, or noting the patch improved things.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
Freezes and CTD
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 01:47:17 PM »
Sounds like we all need some patience.  

If that theory is correct (hesitations while loading new info) and every time we log in it doesn't have to repeat, then the freezes will dissipate with time.

Before Patch 3 the freezes were almost unbearable.  They eased after Patch 3 was D/L.

I had one CTD while typing in the tower after Patch 3.   No clue why.
-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 03:52:24 PM »
I was merely posting my observations Skuzzy, in case anyone wanted some feedback +)

i also didn't have any of the pauses with the previous versions of ah2.

The studders I get are steady (when rolling).  The pauses I can concede it to be encountering new textures to a degree...  I have a fast connection, have any and all skins available.  To go for an hour seems abit extreme, but hey just my observations +)

SKurj

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 05:10:27 PM »
Feed back is a good thing.  I was just trying to get the context correct.  Thank you.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com