Author Topic: P-51b  (Read 1567 times)

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
P-51b
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2004, 10:56:37 PM »
Originally posted by simshell
tthe YAK kills the P51 b or d  with ease its just better to boom zoom the yak with a big E over it or you well die unless you are facing a dweeb or have a very bigg E over it

Maybe in AH2,  hardly ever happend in AH1..

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
P-51b
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2004, 02:48:22 PM »
Originally posted by WldThing
Maybe in AH2,  hardly ever happend in AH1..

AH1 and much more in AH2

iv never had much trouble with any boom zoom plane in a YAK-u when the fight gets even
known as Arctic in the main

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
P-51b
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2004, 03:26:08 PM »
A P-51D with 4 guns and a fairly light fuel load is an excellent match for a Yak-9U, being virtually even in maneuverability and climb rate.  

Thing is, most P-51D pilots fly with a decidedly heavier loadout--myself included much of the time.  Being light for a 1 vs 1 doesn't much help in a 15 vs 15.  If I'm in less-crowded airspace I'll typically take the ligher loadout, although since my return to AH the 4-gun option seems like more of a liability (my shooting is extremely rusty).  The P-51 is rather weight-sensative with regards to its fighting ability.  

The P-51B is at a slight disadvantage versus the Yak in a prolonged fight at low altitudes due to its engine.

J_A_B

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
P-51b
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2004, 04:46:56 PM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
A P-51D with 4 guns and a fairly light fuel load is an excellent match for a Yak-9U, being virtually even in maneuverability and climb rate.  

Thing is, most P-51D pilots fly with a decidedly heavier loadout--myself included much of the time.  Being light for a 1 vs 1 doesn't much help in a 15 vs 15.  If I'm in less-crowded airspace I'll typically take the ligher loadout, although since my return to AH the 4-gun option seems like more of a liability (my shooting is extremely rusty).  The P-51 is rather weight-sensative with regards to its fighting ability.  

The P-51B is at a slight disadvantage versus the Yak in a prolonged fight at low altitudes due to its engine.

J_A_B

yes the P51B ENG was made for low alt but dont forget the YAK was made for low alt to

and look at the POUNDS of both planes the yak is like a TON lighter even with the lightest P51B the yak can still beat it in a even E fight

and like i said the YAK-u is a monster when it comes to regaining lost E the P51D or B is not

the yak-u wins in a turn fight or a loop fight or anything not counting a HO

o by the way the yak is better at climbing
known as Arctic in the main

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
P-51b
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2004, 05:19:35 PM »
"yes the P51B ENG was made for low alt but dont forget the YAK was made for low alt to "

My point is that the P-51B is NOT good at low altitude, hence why it is at a disadvantage.

Bet you didn't know this, but a P-51D with 4 gun and light fuel load will be within 100 FPM of a normally-loaded Yak-9U's climb rate on the deck, and will turn as well if not better.  The reason you don't see this in the MA is because 99% of P-51's are flown in a far heavier configuration.  As I noted above, the P-51 is extremely weight-sensitive and a heavy P-51 (which is most of them) WILL be meat for a Yak-9U.

BTW do not look at weight alone as an indicator of turn aility.  The F6F Hellcat can out-maneuver many planes which weigh less :)

J_A_B

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
P-51b
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2004, 07:04:49 PM »
Originally posted by simshell
AH1 and much more in AH2

iv never had much trouble with any boom zoom plane in a YAK-u when the fight gets even

No Yak could ever beat my pony in AH1,  equal E,  and merge alt..  And i've had many duels...

Offline badcow

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
P-51b
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2004, 09:34:57 PM »
The Bravo model has became my favorite ride of all. Soda's evals still hold true to AH2 for this bird regarding the supercharger. 17k is the medium alt where this one really cruises, vs about 12k for D. That is usually too high for most fights, but you can cover distance quickly and economically at that alt. It gets there quickly enough too, starting non-wep climb is around 3k/min and it doesn't slow much if any with alt in AH2. The performance kicks in again around 30k for the B, vs apx 25 for D. I find the first 2 notches of flap work very well for increasing lift/turn rates at about 225 to 300 mph. The main thing I had to learn that surprised me was that often you must slow down, which seems contraindicated to a noob. If it has one knock against it, it's that you can't spray and pray, but I can live with that. I love this plane. Even though the guns are small, it's how you use them that matters most;)    You can saw off buff wings at 200 yds when they are converged to that distance, you can't do that pulling gs on fighters but they do get the job done. You also get a lot of sister kissers or assists, but why be a kill hog? While on paper many planes can beat it, it's so stable and so fast that often you can afford to check out the enemy's pilot's skill level, and if in your judgement you've got him beat, the plane won't let you down. If he scares you, you can usually split. I also think it's a good beginner's ( which I am, relatively speaking ) plane, although I'm sure some would take issue with that. It won't teach any bad habits and it's ez to fly. Another plus is the icon. Enemies think you're flying the D model and jump you readily. It's fun if you can sucessfully surprise them with unexpected manuverability, especially D model pony drivers with less stick time :)  Were it not for this plane, I would not find AH so addicting. I'm far from an expert on this plane, having only flown it for a short while, but as you can see, the plane generates a lot of enthusiasm, at least from certain cows.

airCOW 11th Arctic Storm