Author Topic: How to fly the P-47  (Read 341 times)

Offline SunTracker

• Silver Member
How to fly the P-47
« on: June 21, 2004, 09:18:01 AM »
Should the P-47 be used as a strict energy fighter?  I am not having a whole lot of success in it right now.  Mainly I don't know what rules to abide by in it.  

Post any tips/tactics for the P-47 if you would please.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
How to fly the P-47
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 09:36:59 AM »
Frenchy or Ammo would be a real good resourse. I don't know if there has been a piece written in the Help forums on flyin the Jug. Try a search over there. Soda's aircraft pages will give you an overview.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
How to fly the P-47
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 10:04:06 AM »
there were a lot of talks about the jug both in help forum and in vehicles forum. follow nopoop's advice.

as to how it "should" be flown is up to you. You probably already figured it's not a great turning plane... :p  But that doesn't mean you have to boom and zoom yourself to bordom.

It is a challanging plane in the MA, since it's so different from what it was built for. down low you are a poor cllimber, poor accelerator, poor turner and only slightly faster than a spit9 (if you are already at your top speed, don't expect to accelerate there, it will catch you).

what's left? good roll rate, very stable at near stall speeds, good controls authority and one pull on the stick brins you from 400 to 200 mph (that is not always bad as you will find out).

if you are a score potato - forget it. Else, fly it cos you love it.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
How to fly the P-47
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 04:05:59 PM »
Good gunnery will work wonders for you.  if you miss all your chances to shoot the Spit, mustang, etc.. then eventually they will shoot you down.  The guys that are successfull in any AC generally have real good shooting percentages.  

You can pull some ACM tricks in a P-47, but if you don't capitalize on them then someone is gonna pop you. The jug is capable of a really sweet overshoot.  You can surprise the over-confident spit/n1k/la7 driver with this move.  But if the other pilot sees it coming,  they may not fall for it.

In general, keep your speed, don't get drawn into a furball and get slow (furballs are fun, just keep your speed.  Don't fight their fight, make them fight your fight).  However beware of the fast typhoon or mustang that is stalking you from altitude.  When you have to manuever to evade their pass, there is ALWAYS a N1k or Spit there to get ya.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
How to fly the P-47
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 05:07:36 PM »
Try not to bring enough fuel to power a small country. If you have to, then use DT's that you can toss when you go into the fight so your plane stays "light".

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
How to fly the P-47
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 05:20:54 PM »
One on one, you have a chance in the jug if your gunery is half decent. Moreover, if it's a Spit/Niki/Zero/hurri you can always run away. if it's a G10/Pony/typhy/LA7 those guys usually keep full throttle and you can "outturn them" enought to give you a quick shooting opportunity.
The true jug killer is the Yak9U, or any disciplined pilot of any fast plane listed above.

Like ammo said, the bad news is 1 vs alot with a combi of fast planes and turnfighters. The jug is not fast enought to allow you to run to your buddies, nor nimble enought to allow you to "stay alive" till your buddies arrive.

Patience is the key, hardcore turnfight if in low numbers with some friends around, or dive away/autoclimb/cook diner/come back for more action.

With a 5k alt advantage and a good gunery, you can do some serious damages on 4-5 lower bad guys. Don't get greedy, run when you have to, usually works when you don't wait for the last seconds.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
How to fly the P-47
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 05:32:21 PM »
get a wingman.

it works in all the planes ofcourse. but a a pair of jugs watching eachother is just beutiful. :)

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
How to fly the P-47
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 06:32:16 PM »
P47D11 is the best turning one but I prefer D25 because I dont like the cage canopy of the d11. The P47 is under-rated as far as its turning capabilities go. People say you need to keep E or your dead, but I prefer to use flaps, burn E and turnfight. At alts above 5k it will win a fight against a spit9 or 109. just mix between vertical and horizontal turns. If your on the deck with no E your pretty much screwed because your limited to fighting on a horizontal axis while something like a 109 can pull up and you cant do anything about it.
The P47 is a very forgiving aircraft. In many cases I have fought against 3 other planes on the deck and taken alot of damage, not to mention winning. Yet with all that damage I can return to base safely with 10+ victories (that oil leaks a long time before engine dies)