Author Topic: [Skinners Please Note] Coordinated skin production??  (Read 918 times)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
[Skinners Please Note] Coordinated skin production??
« on: June 22, 2004, 10:35:38 AM »
This got me thinking.

Obviously, judging by what HT stated during the beta period, it would be possible to implement different set of skins for the CT... but it would be pretty impractical and would require a new skin download or something each time a new CT environment is set up.

How about... if we contact the AH CT CMs, and get a compiled list of all the setups ran by the CT, their planesets, and what kind of skins are needed for what planes in those setups?

We will ask them to create a checklist, and us skinners will volunteer, and coordinate who will work on what needed skin...

Something like this:

List:

CT: Battle of Britain
Skins needed:

Bf109E-4 - Wotan
Spitfire Mk.1 - Kweassa
Hurricane Mk.1 - Ramzey
Bf110C-4 - Waffle
Ju88A-4 - Greebo

..and then, each of the skinners will research and pick what they think is the most representative skin for the type of that era, discuss it, and start working on it.

This checklist would help point out which skins are needed for which represantative type of paint scheme, and will help people avoid doing the same planes.. and also, create the skin set needed for the CT as soon as possible.  

What are your opinions?

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 11:05:12 AM »
Agree, good idea!

However some aircraft can afford to be given several similar skins akin to a particular battle etc.  Spitfire & Hurricane Mk.Is were only really used in the Battle of France and Battle of Britain (there's already one Finnish Hurri I skin) so I think we can afford to allocate the majority of skins to those battles (perhaps 7 - 10 skins for each aircraft to represent most popular/common squadrons).  Obviously they'll still be a few spare for other Nationality skins too (Belgian Hurricane markings for example).  

Of course this can't be applied to all aircraft and that's when the coordinated effort really needs to come into effect!
NEXX

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 11:07:05 AM »
sounds  like  a good idea  to  me ct  get  what  they  want  or  need  and  the  ma  still gets  different  skins.The  coperation  will  be the hardest think  to arange  ,although  i  see you  guys  share a  lot of  infomation  between  you  on all planes.

keep up  the  good  work  the  new  skins  are  great
 rogerdee
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 11:27:53 AM »
A list to prevent two guys working on the same plane would be the best thing going. Saves on suicides..

The amount of time it takes me to put one together, jeez I think I have fifty hours into my first skin and prolly have another twenty to go tweeking things, I have to have the passion for the skin I'm doing.

Cranking skins out or being assigned to do a skin won't work for me. Deadlines are something I do for work. Have to have the passion.

But to have 50 hours into a skin your doing for the Main and when you submit find out someone's already did it is sucking on a gun barrel time.

As a side note for the CT. Hell with templets done for a 109F for example, one guy can create four or five from the same squadron. by just changing the base paint and number designations. And use all the other layers over again. You could CRANK out some planes in that way.

Replicant, I'll take you up on your kind offer. I used some lettering from an IL-2 skin but had to enlarge it. Doesn't look great.

nopoops190@sbcglobal.net
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline dsrtrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 01:00:04 PM »
I am all for it. Then once the skin sets are made up, the skinner could share their panel/rivet templates and save everyone a ton of work.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 04:58:56 PM »
If self organizing things to such degree is difficult, then I think it's possible to consult the CT CM team to setup a checklist at the CT forums to everytime they feel a certain skinset is needed.

Offline SELECTOR

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 05:13:15 PM »
what we should do is work on a block of planes..
say we do B.O.B. set, what we should do is have a list put up and people can say i will do a 109e of a specific squadron. or i will do a hurricane of such and such a squadron..

persons should post updates to make sure all is on track, and if its not then we can help each other..