Author Topic: AIRBUS Engineers slam 7E7  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
AIRBUS Engineers slam 7E7
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2004, 09:24:26 PM »
I suspect that we'd best not try to interject facts into the conversation, Pongo appears to have his mind made up.  That's why I'm washing my hands of it.  I suspect that the mere fact that the government purchased a product is enough to damn the selling company in his eyes.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2004, 03:37:24 AM »
Originally posted by Dago
I was a dick
Spelling error. The correct spelling of "was" is "am".

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2004, 03:56:00 AM »
Sure Beetle he still is.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2004, 04:02:17 AM »
Originally posted by cpxxx
FYI Airbus is not now nor has it ever been French. They are final assembled in France but are built by the British, French, Spanish, Italians and Germans. Have I left anyone out? Oh yes Americans. Many components engines etc are American.  In fact 50% of the new Airbus A380 is American made. Yes that's right, any more it would legitimately be called American. Note too, that no government subsidy is being paid to Airbus for the A380. Airbus was subsidied in the past mainly to allow the European aviation industry to compete against America. Otherwise there would be no European aviation industry. Don't you think the US government would do the same for their industry?

Air France bought Boeing 777's recently just so you know. Airlines these days get the best deals they can. Of the two big low fare carriers in Europe, Easyjet and Ryanair. Easyjet bought Airbuses and Ryanair 737-800's. Both were probably hard headed commercial decisions. Ryanair's certainly was. The CEO O'Leary won't even buy pens for his staff. They have to steal them from hotels etc!  Both probably got good deals. Either way it was good for America's aerospace industry because of the high American content in both.  That's the way it works. If there was no Airbus, Boeing would have no incentive to develop and vice versa.  
Wow - EasyJet bought Airbus planes? I'm a regular customer of EasyJet - even met and shook hands with Stelios and then shared a flight with him down to Nice a few years ago. One of the reasons back then why they had all B737 was that all their pilots could fly all their aircraft. Also, the maintenance arrangements were greatly simplified and they needed only one simulator(?). But then they started adding other 737 variants like 700 (and I think there's now an 800?). But the news that they bought into Airbus was a big surprise. Story here.

Yep, the Airbus was part British. I worked for BAe in Weybridge during the mid 1980s. BAe built the wings. Some of the work was done at Weybridge, but I think the heavy work was probably done at Filton.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 04:07:51 AM by beet1e »

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2004, 12:54:28 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
I suspect that we'd best not try to interject facts into the conversation, Pongo appears to have his mind made up.  That's why I'm washing my hands of it.  I suspect that the mere fact that the government purchased a product is enough to damn the selling company in his eyes.

It doennt dam it in my eyes that the goverment contributed to it. It dams you in my eyes that you hate airbus for thier goverment support but love Boeing for thier rugged capitalism. lol
There are no facts you can prevent and no fact presented above that changes the situation. Boeing exists due to massive US goverment contracts.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2004, 01:04:16 PM »
con·tract
'kän-"trakt
noun
Middle English, from Latin contractus, from contrahere to draw together, make a contract, reduce in size, from com- + trahere to draw 1 a : a binding agreement between two or more persons or parties; especially : one legally enforceable b : a business arrangement for the supply of goods or services

sub·si·dy
's&b-s&-dE,
noun
Middle English, from Latin subsidium reserve troops, support, assistance, from sub- near + sedEre to sit -- more at SUB-, SIT
: a grant or gift of money: as a : a sum of money formerly granted by the British Parliament to the crown and raised by special taxation b : money granted by one state to another c : a grant by a government to a private person or company to assist an enterprise deemed advantageous to the public

Learn the difference and you will gain wisdom
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!