Author Topic: FW190D9 Fuel Consumption Bug (possibly other planes too)  (Read 250 times)

Offline KurtVW

• Copper Member
FW190D9 Fuel Consumption Bug (possibly other planes too)
« on: June 23, 2004, 08:35:26 PM »
On a flight in the FW190D9 I had dialed in a 200 mph climb at 40MP.  Since I've been working to conserve fuel lately I was watching the E6B.

Much to my surprise, as my altitude increased my fuel burn ALSO increased.  

This is incorrect.... Any aircraft regardless of type, jet, piston, super-charged piston... All will get a fuel benefit as altitude increases, this is because the thinner air allows (In fact, REQUIRES) a leaner mixture or else you will flood the engine.

I did notice that in the 262, the fuel burn decreases greatly with altitude, so I was surprised when I didn't see the same effect in other aircraft....

Please fix.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 08:55:40 PM »
Try testing in level flight at different altitudes and see if you get the same results.  You had your engine trying to maintain 40in and 200mph while climbing.  That may have skewed the results.

Offline KurtVW

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 10:18:42 PM »
Not really,  There is another flight modeling problem there that also needs to be addressed.  As altitude increases, manifold pressure should decrease (this never happens in AH, regardless of engine).  In a supercharged engine you can set this effect back, but still, eventually, manifold pressure will decrease, and when it does, your burn will also decrease.

If you are pushing a set pressure, your burn should remain unchanged.  It can not increase... The only thing that could increase it is increasing the MP or enrichening the mixture.

However, I did level at three different altitudes and the burn did not change in level flight.  At higher altitudes, more fuel was consumed.  Its incorrect.