Author Topic: Skins under construction  (Read 13504 times)

Offline glenmorangie

• Copper Member
Skins under construction
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2004, 08:29:43 PM »
Updates to my Yak 9 in progress.

Panel lines roughed in, ailerons, rudder and elevators shaded.

To finish: bottom, rivets and weathering...

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Skins under construction
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2004, 08:41:06 PM »
Mongol: May I ask why those colors? Seems a bit harsh on my eyes :p

As for myself, I present U8+BB, a bf110C4 from the Channel Front, 1940 (BOB)

Offline glenmorangie

• Copper Member
Skins under construction
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2004, 09:31:16 PM »
Krusty,

Heres the text file with the info I plan to send to HiTech when I submit.  The colors are from color-chips I received from Mr. Pilawskii after contacting him through his web site.  If the weathering does not mute them, I may dull them a bit, but those are the authentic colors...I thought a desert scheme would be nice for the Russians.

The green/green scheme posted in this thread is from the color chips, too...

Yak-9R, Southern Front, 1944
293 IAP
Pilot Unknown
Constructed at Zavoda 153
Southern Front Camouflage: AII Brown, Light Brown, Blue
Reference: Soviet Air Force Fighter Colours 1941-1945, Eric Pilawskii
pp. 164, 169, 186, 187 (pictures)
Color chips obtained from Eric Pilawskii on-line at "Modelling the Aircraft of the Soviet VVS".

Oh, and as for the game aircraft being a "Yak-9U" and this a "Yak-9R" scheme, the game used the 3-view plan for a Yak-3, not a Yak-9, so I think I'll be OK... I hope... :) after all the work...It took a really long time to map the skinning, and I'm not done with the bottom, yet.  I looks like there's no way to do the gear doors, the inner wing is repeated for the underside of the fuselage.  Just another sad skin story, so pop the top on another beer, bartender, and throw a sad song on the juke-box...

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Skins under construction
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2004, 09:37:15 PM »
Yeah, aligning the skins to the plane can suck big time. I was trying to line up the panel lines for the bf110 landing gear doors (which on the default don't even mesh with the left/right halves of each engine pod), then to line up the flap line on the aft underside of the gear pod. It was a nightmare lol!

Yes, I said a nightmare, then added lol, but only because I'm done with the damned thing already :P

Offline glenmorangie

• Copper Member
Skins under construction
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2004, 09:38:15 PM »
Krusty,

I forgot to say what a great job you did on the 110.  On the other hand, a constant diet of RLM 71,72,65 gets boring...and there's just about a billion people doing Luftwaffe subjects and Mustangs.

Maybe I'll do a Pearl Harbor Model 21, Kate and Val....

Too bad we don't have an IAR-80 or maybe a Boomerang...

French airplanes, we're short on French airplanes, too...

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Skins under construction
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2004, 09:42:43 PM »
Originally posted by glenmorangie
Krusty,

I forgot to say what a great job you did on the 110.  On the other hand, a constant diet of RLM 71,72,65 gets boring...and there's just about a billion people doing Luftwaffe subjects and Mustangs.

Maybe I'll do a Pearl Harbor Model 21, Kate and Val....

Too bad we don't have an IAR-80 or maybe a Boomerang...

French airplanes, we're short on French airplanes, too...

Heh, well the 110 has been overlooked so far! :P

I have a really cool idea for a late-era ('44) Zero, with orange and green, but I don't know if I'm going to tackle it just yet. There are several possibilities

Offline glenmorangie

• Copper Member
Skins under construction
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2004, 09:48:16 PM »
Go for it!

I understand we get a Ki-84 tomorrow and several others. I was looking a the Osprey Japanese Ace book tonight and saw several possibilities for N1K2, Ki-61 and Ki-84.  As long it took to get this one this far, that ain't happening soon, but ya gotta have some goals!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Skins under construction
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2004, 09:52:23 PM »
Actually I just started (this instant) on a d3a1 Val (page 108 of "German, Italian, and Japanese Fighters of World War II") with green uppers and cream undersides.

I am skeptical that we will get the fighters tomorrow.

Offline United

• Gold Member
      • http://squadronspotlight.netfirms.com
Skins under construction
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2004, 09:53:43 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
I am skeptical that we will get the fighters tomorrow.

We probably wont get them until Monday, if theyre ready at all, because thats when the new work week starts.  Sunday (for most of us anyways) is an off day.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Skins under construction
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2004, 10:07:47 PM »
I mean I don't think they'll be done. We just got ONE update (Patch 7). Another won't be due for a while yet.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Skins under construction
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2004, 12:23:04 AM »
Rough preview:

Now I just need to find what the hell squadron it was with :P

My book doesn't give specifics for this profile. It has 2 vertical thin bands on the tail, two equally spaced horrizontal bands on the tail fin, in between which is "E -  212"

Is anybody up on their IJN squadrons? Does anybody know the plane I speak of?

Offline glenmorangie

• Copper Member
Skins under construction
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2004, 09:44:14 AM »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Skins under construction
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2004, 12:18:17 AM »
Okay, the D3A1 Val is on hold indefinitely, until the plane model is fixed. The normals on the flaps are all facing inward. You don't notice it on the default because everything is the same color (white uppers and lowers), but with a 2-tone scheme it's very obvious. I'm currently open to suggestions.

Edit: Also, you don't get separate upper/lower horizontal stabs, it's the same skin for upper port / upper starboard / lower port / lower starboard, which REALLY hampers my creativity.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
Skins under construction
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2004, 12:45:00 AM »
Krusty I hear you there.  Currently I'm on hold for all skinning due to limitations.  For now I'll just dabble here and there to how realistic I can get things to look with the lighting in the game.

Offline glenmorangie

• Copper Member
Skins under construction
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2004, 01:53:32 PM »
I've been half discouraged by the Yak, also.  I may wait for the new models ( however many years that takes ) to finish up.