Author Topic: How do you take out the ack with a fighter?  (Read 467 times)

Offline Sascha JG 77

• Zinc Member
How do you take out the ack with a fighter?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 1999, 12:52:00 PM »
Yeah I remember that version of the mossie from Aces over Europe. I guess it really existed cause the designers at dynamix were failry accurate in their research.

Sascha JG 77 "Herz As!"

Rojo

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 1999, 01:18:00 PM »
My squad-mate jarbo has become quite proficient at JABO attacks on Ack. Here's his method (75% success rate for destroying the ack, and better than that for surviving the attack):

Approach the field at about 10,500 feet AGL. Roll inverted as you pass over the base perimeter. The ack will begin shooting at you, but is ineffective at that altitude. Spotting the ack is easy, then. Chop throttle and pull into a near vertical dive. Quickly trim for angle, then use slight control corrections to line up the target dead in your sights. Release weapon. Unfortunately, they haven't fixed the dual-bomb drop bug, so you can only take one ack per sortie.  The lower you go before dropping, the higher the risk but better the result. His prefered drop altitude is...well, got to let you figure some of it out for yourselves, don't I  .

Of course, our number-1 buff driver, eskimo, has a near 100% success rate taking out ack with his Fort, provided the rest of us keep the fighters at bay  . With him in his Fort, and three of four Buccaneers doing SEAD on the enemy (read as "vulch"  ), we're nearly unstoppable. Cooperative tactics are definitely rewarded in this Sim.

Rojo (a.k.a. Sabre), out!

Offline Sascha JG 77

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 1999, 06:47:00 AM »
O.K...here's some info on the 50 mm air to air gun:

The BK-5 was an adaptation of a tank gun and was intended primarily for use
                                         against Allied heavy bombers. Its magazine held 22 rounds and the gun had a
                                         rate of fire of 45 rounds per minute. BK-5 cannon were installed in some Me
                                         410 twin-engine interceptors and experimentally in the Me 262 fighter, but the
                                         war ended before testing with the latter aircraft could be completed. Only
                                         about 300 of the guns were produced and combat usage was limited. When
                                         Reich Marshal Hermann Goering was captured and questioned on May 10,
                                         1945, he mentioned the BK-5 experiments translated as follows:

"You might find around Germany some jet airplanes equipped with anti-tank
                                         guns. Don't blame me for such monstrostities. This was done on the explicit
                                         orders of the Fuehrer. Hitler knew nothing about the air. He may have known
                                         about the Army or Navy, but absolutely nothing about the air. He even
                                         considered the Me-262 to be a bomber and he insisted it should be called a
                                         bomber."

SPECIFICATIONS
                                         Weight: 135 lbs.
                                         Muzzle velocity: 1,600 ft./sec.
                                         Gun length overall: 45 in.
                                         Barrel length: 23 in.
                                         Maximum rate of fire: 450 rounds/min.

Source:
USAF Museum Web-Site

Sascha JG 77 "Herz As!"

[This message has been edited by Sascha JG 77 (edited 10-21-1999).]

Offline -cman-

• Zinc Member
      • http://cman.digitalmechanics.cx
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 1999, 08:47:00 AM »
Norden bombsight should be finished Soon (TM).  HT and PYRO said they were working hard on it last week when I interviewed them.  This should make the buffers' life a lot easier.

Clearly the ballistics on the rockets are sorta porked.  I believe there is a thread on this in the bug reporting forum.  They seem to shoot off approximately level with the ground no matter what your dive angle.

BDA and crater graphics should receive some tweaking with the next update along with other terrain issues, but that is pure speculation on my part.

And, judging from the Bishop activity over Rook airfield F7 last night, the ack doesn't seem to be quite as effective a Vulcher repellant as thought. :0

------------------
-cman-
The Dweebs of Death
"Death before dishonor,
often just moments
before."

Offline smash

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 1999, 05:20:00 AM »
Dive bombing works... I've taken out acks on almost every sortie where that was my goal... and survived.  It helps to take the 51 with 2 1ks.  No luck with rockets - at least so far.
ASUS ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10
Intel Core i7-6850K Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.6 GHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 08G-P4-6183-KR, 8GB GDDR5X W/Oculus Rift
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
CPU and Vid are water cooled