Author Topic: real pilots, help me out here  (Read 110 times)

FowlWing

real pilots, help me out here
« on: October 17, 1999, 09:45:00 PM »
I'm not a real pilot, no training so help me out:

I've been playing around with rpm settings and have made these conclusions:

These are constant speed props right?

So, increased throttle increases pitch?

The thrust (sorry if these terms are not aviationally correct   ) remains constant at a given throttle setting regardless of prop rpm setting?

So, reduced prop rpm results in increased torque due to increased pitch to maintain thrust at the reduced rpm?

Say that three times real fast!!!

Sooooo, is there any advantage to tweaking the rpm settings ????

Please hold any replies containing the descriptors: moron, idiot, birdbrain or any derivatives thereof,  the acronym ROFLMAO, or like acronyms intended to flame the writer.

Thank u for your time.

PS: where's that padlock key again?

Offline Gazoo

• Zinc Member
      • http://plaza.v-wave.com/SolarStorm/index.htm
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 1999, 10:32:00 PM »
Started writing and realised we have talked this one through before:

See this thread, it should have all of the answers (+ more) that you are looking for.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum1/HTML/000563.html

------------------
"Just Plane Nuts"
Gazoo
 http://plaza.v-wave.com/SolarStorm/index.htm

Hans

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 1999, 06:17:00 AM »
Nope.

The list of variables is:

1.  Throttle makes the engine crankshaft spin faster and makes it louder.

2.  Constant speed props tilts the prop blades and changes the load on the engine.

3.  The RPM control allows you to set what engine speed the Constant Speed Prop will try to maintain.

Increasing the throttle puts more gas into the engine, which would make the crankshaft spin at a higher RPM.  BUT!!!  Since the prop is a constant speed prop that changes prop blade pitch, it tilts the blades further forward and that increases the ammount of force necessary to turn it...which brings the RPMs of the engine back down.  The net result is more Thrust and a louder engine noise, but the speed of the rotation stays the same (it doesn't sound faster...just louder).  By the way....the current sound that Aces High has is incorrect.  Your joystick throttle should make the engine louder, but not sound like its spinning faster.  RPM will change the speed of the engine and the difference between a soft "wheeeeeee" noise or a loud 'Pawtah...Pawtah' noise.

Just like a car engine going full bore is terribly inefficient for fuel.  You can set the throttle back and the RPM down to make the engine run efficient.  You won't get where your going as soon, but your gas tanks will still be half full so you can get home again.

FowlWing

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 1999, 08:35:00 AM »
Thx Gazoo, the thread from the earlier discussion was very informative, I think I had a fair grasp on this in my own strange little way.