Author Topic: Weeding  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Darkish

• Nickel Member
Weeding
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2004, 11:17:20 AM »
Wheeeeeeeeeeeee Urrrrrrrrggggggggggggggg Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Urrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggg ggg Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggg ggggg - 5" floppies, an unattainable zenith.

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
Weeding
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2004, 12:38:52 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
and actually my PC gaming goes back even farther. 20 years now

Anyone remember

"Load "*",8,1"

Yeah,  Those were the days.

The load up for C-64s.  

Anyone here remember Q-Link?  

Thats what Got me online in the Mid-80s.   Iv got Friends coming for the 4th that Iv known since those days,  One was even an Alpha Tester for what became AOL.

Here is the History of AOL/Quantum
http://www.corp.aol.com/whoweare/history.html#1988

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
Weeding
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2004, 07:06:30 PM »
Saved me a post Ghost.

After 16 years of PC gaming all this drama is amusing. When you've stayed up until 3:00am manually rearranging the autoexec.bat and config.sys files using himem to try and free that last 5k of low 640 memory in DOS to get Aces of the Pacific to load without a boot disk... well, perhaps some are more suited to the console gaming universe.

AH2 rocks so far, and it will only imrpove.

Charon

cool i just bought a copy of Aces of the Pacific off ebay, will take a few days for it to get here so i went to underdogs.org and downloaded it, along with AW3, got AW working but couldnt get aces of the pacific going, i think im gonna have to buy a 486 to play  it since it came out in the late 80s. they should release a collector version for later OS.

Btw AW3 rocks, its just like ah just 2d cockpit.   good thing i still use my sidewinder 3d pro. :D

Offline diezalot

• Zinc Member
Re: Weeding
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2004, 07:28:57 PM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
Ya know in June when the gardens growing great. But you have to go out there & spend hours pulling all those little weeds.

AH2 is so much better, they pull themselves out.

This is a good thing IMO. What we have left are people who can stick it out.

Me i plan on being the last one out the door when dale turns out the lights. 15 years from now. Anyone care to join me????

HTC

HEAR HEAR HEAR

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Weeding
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2004, 08:38:08 PM »
Creamo go soak your cork elsewhere.

As for the rest of you, its obvious that Ripsnorts been giving lessions.

Talk about your bald headed thread hijackers!

However I have to admit I too enjoyed tweaking the heck out of my config.sys & autoexec.bat's.

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Weeding
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2004, 08:52:12 PM »
You get a free hat at the con ghost, Congrats.

I didn't hijack the thread, but as I am, lemme say, put AH1 icons back, or better yet, just put the AH1 MA back in, and I will send in cash.

You can play AH2 Beta and tweak all your exe.bats, I'll enjoy what I played for 4 years. Pay for it again too.

Offline IK0N

• Copper Member
Weeding
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2004, 08:53:48 PM »
Originally posted by Charon
Saved me a post Ghost.  

After 16 years of PC gaming all this drama is amusing.  When you've stayed up until 3:00am manually rearranging the autoexec.bat and config.sys files using himem to try and free that last 5k of low 640 memory in DOS to get Aces of the Pacific to load without a boot disk... well, perhaps some are more suited to the console gaming universe.
Charon

OMG I though I was alone!!! Still have AOTP archived somewhere...
All the complainers should be forced to make 688 attack sub work dialup in a DOS environment...
I still have a DOS machine just for walking down memory lane once in awhile.. of course the DOS manual is sitting next to it just in case...

IKON

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Weeding
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2004, 09:26:21 PM »
688 attack sub work dialup in a DOS environment

You dimwits ought to have a CON. You are NOT alone.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Weeding
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2004, 09:51:12 PM »
THE game that started it all for me was a sit down coin operated arcade game in the 70s. I tried to find an image on the internet but the only thing that came close was a description of a coin op "sim" that Chicago coin put out in 1975 and it had no image (and I'm not even sure if this is the right one because it seems a bit off):

Description

"You basically had control of a large lever which resembled the joystick on a WWI vintage airplane. A vertically scrolling movie would project in front of you, and you would shoot at it while it was shooting at you. You could move side to side a little and dive and climb. The best way to succeed was to pull up in a climb, see what was coming at you, then dive while aiming your gun. This gave you the most time to line up your shot for the kill!! "

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=4964

The one I remember didn't actually have a "vertically scrolling movie." It had enemy planes on transparencies that were reflected onto the viewing screen and moved around a bit. If you scored a hit it would superimpose an image of an explosion and drop away. I believe I was playing it before 1975 too. My pre-teen days.  :lol

(Chicago coin apparently also put out a pinball machine in 75 called "Red Baron." Methinks one or two of their designers had a fixation with Richtofen.)

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Weeding
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2004, 10:11:31 PM »
Originally posted by Grits
Oh yeah, I was the multi-config king, at one point I think I had 12-15 different ones to boot up in. Falcon 3.0 was the toughest since you needed 621k for some features (I forget what now). QEMM did rock, I still have a floppy (a 5 1/4 no less!) of it in my "archive".

I still have an old 486DX4-100 with DOS 6.22 on it loaded up with all those old games, AOTP, AW 1.13g, Red Baron, Falcon 3.0, Strike Eagle 2, Gunship 2000, and Tornado just for nostalgia's sake.

???... no Fleet Defender?? You suck :)  (never did get to try Tornado... how was that?)
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Weeding
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2004, 10:19:35 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
THE game that started it all for me was a sit down coin operated arcade game in the 70s. I tried to find an image on the internet but the only thing that came close was a description of a coin op "sim" that Chicago coin put out in 1975 and it had no image (and I'm not even sure if this is the right one because it seems a bit off):

Description

"You basically had control of a large lever which resembled the joystick on a WWI vintage airplane. A vertically scrolling movie would project in front of you, and you would shoot at it while it was shooting at you. You could move side to side a little and dive and climb. The best way to succeed was to pull up in a climb, see what was coming at you, then dive while aiming your gun. This gave you the most time to line up your shot for the kill!! "

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=4964

The one I remember didn't actually have a "vertically scrolling movie." It had enemy planes on transparencies that were reflected onto the viewing screen and moved around a bit. If you scored a hit it would superimpose an image of an explosion and drop away. I believe I was playing it before 1975 too. My pre-teen days.  :lol

(Chicago coin apparently also put out a pinball machine in 75 called "Red Baron." Methinks one or two of their designers had a fixation with Richtofen.)

OH!!... I know exactly what your talking about.  Geeez louise that was awhile ago lol.  I wanted to like that thing but, it kinda sucked.  I vaguley remember those things showing up at the fair, never could find one in a Mall kind of arcade.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Weeding
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2004, 10:56:29 PM »
Originally posted by Tumor
OH!!... I know exactly what your talking about.  Geeez louise that was awhile ago lol.  I wanted to like that thing but, it kinda sucked.  I vaguley remember those things showing up at the fair, never could find one in a Mall kind of arcade.

Mine was off to one side from the pinball machines at "Harmon's Hambuger Hut." Had me a roll of quarters, I did. Ate me burger while inspecting the beast. Sat down and spent that whole roll of quarters that afternoon holding my first joystick (heads out, fixated juvies!) and popping bad guys. The addiction had started. Damn thing got another roll of quarters from me the following week. The week after that it was gone. The manager said it got broken and he sent it off to get fixed. It never came back. Some other game took it's place.

SOME OTHER GAME!

Mr. Harmon! YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO ME! I'M HOOKED, DAMMIT! CaN'T yOu SEE?????!!!!!!

Eh .... went back to outdoor fun that got me through school and into the service. Then a guy onbase bought a comode-door 64 and a game called "Mig Alley Ace" and the fever came back.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Weeding
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2004, 12:03:51 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
and actually my PC gaming goes back even farther. 20 years now

Anyone remember

"Load "*",8,1"

LOL, I think i can still type that in my sleep.  My 2 commodor monitors are in my kids rooms, those RCA jacks make them great for hooking up the dvd, vcr, or game consol.

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
Weeding
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2004, 12:49:33 AM »
Bought my first 486/66 so I could play Dark Troopers, and X-wing...

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Weeding
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2004, 09:08:26 AM »
Originally posted by Tumor
???... no Fleet Defender?? You suck :)  (never did get to try Tornado... how was that?)

Nope, no FLeet Defender, by the time it came out I was firmly in the grip of Air Warrior and didnt even know what box games were out.

Tornado was pretty cool for a box game, nothing like blasting along at 600kts 50ft off the ground.