Author Topic: hard drive related stutters  (Read 1467 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
hard drive related stutters
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2004, 03:49:20 PM »
MOSQ: That option with your system specs would make you studder worse. Right now your seeing studders because I am preloading most textures ,DX9 then manages the swap out (this was the change in patch 3) from system to video memory, and it is causing you to run out of ram.

I belive the low mem condition is fairly nasty to the 256 meg users.

Pryor to patch 3 I did not keep a copy of the texture in system memory around.

MOSQ: For a test set max texture size to 256, play for at least 30 mins and see if most of your problems go away.

P.S.
Im realy starting to hate trying to shove 10Lbs of stuff in a 5lb box.

HiTech

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2004, 04:19:54 PM »
HTC,

Thanks for the explanation. I guess what I was looking for was a way to pre-load my video RAM. I have 128MBs on my vid card. When I login it reports about 28-30 MBs of memory used. I know from experience now that until it gets up to 70+ used, I'm going to have studders. I've never seen it above 75 used.

As I recall prior to patch 3 I would start at about 60 or 65 used, and again by 70+ my stutters were gone.

Is it possible to preload the video memory as an option?

Would increasing my system RAM help? I'll see if I can run one of those memory tracking programs in the background to document when my system runs out of RAM. Any suggested programs whose output would be useful to you?

I'll give your 256 texture suggestion a try tonight.

"P.S.
Im realy starting to hate trying to shove 10Lbs of stuff in a 5lb box. "

I feel for you. Your company has taken a big leap forward with the new graphics engine. I'm sorry I just can't afford to buy a 10lb box right now.

Offline 13Promet

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2004, 07:04:30 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
Im realy starting to hate trying to shove 10Lbs of stuff in a 5lb box.

HiTech

But some people is starting to hate to have spent lots of money for a 15lbs box for shoving 2 lbs of stuff in it ;)

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2004, 09:47:10 AM »
I'll put in a vote for a 'preload all' option.
One question though - how much mem will be required using a 'preload all' option (roughly)?

Thanks
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline flyingaround

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2004, 10:24:11 AM »
Originally posted by MOSQ
Celeron 1.4, 384 RAM, FX-5200 Ultra, Win 98se, Sounblaster Live DX-9 sound acceleration 3/4.

I've tried DX-9 Sound acceleration set to Full, 3/4, and 1/2 (Basic). The sound acceleration has no effect one way or the other with my screen freezes.

I also defrag my computer Hard Drive after each patch or new map load. It doesn't help.

Similar system to mine.  Please tell me how you have ground detail, object size etc set up.

-WMLute
WMLute

III/JG26 9th ST WidowMakers

Offline flyingaround

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2004, 10:24:28 AM »
Celeron 1.4, 384 RAM, FX-5200 Ultra, Win 98se, Sounblaster Live DX-9 sound acceleration 3/4.

I've tried DX-9 Sound acceleration set to Full, 3/4, and 1/2 (Basic). The sound acceleration has no effect one way or the other with my screen freezes.

I also defrag my computer Hard Drive after each patch or new map load. It doesn't help.

Similar system to mine.  Please tell me how you have ground detail, object size etc set up.

-WMLute
WMLute

Offline flyingaround

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2004, 10:24:41 AM »

-WMLute
WMLute

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2004, 02:34:12 PM »
HTC,
I ran Sys Mon in the background last night with no changes to the texture size. You are correct, my available system physical memory goes right to zero with AHII Patch 4, then may increase to at most 10-20 MBs, but gets drawn down to zero constantly.

For whatever reason, the stutters weren't as bad as the previous evenings. My uninformed guess is that the old island map last night has fewer and less complicated textures than Mindanao? Does that make sense?

Towards the end of the evening I switched to 256 textures and did very limited testing. It worked fine.

Today I just logged on for about 30 minutes on Baltic map. I noticed from a fresh boot that in the tower I showed only 19.8 MBs of Video memory used. That's the lowest I've ever seen in AHII. System was still set to 256, no stutters at all, even starting first thing at a base under heavy attack with a furball right there. Video memory used climbed to about 32 MBs before I logged. I wasn't running SYS Mon, but I will tonight to see if I am constantly out of system physical memory with the 256 setting.

I couldn't tell any difference in the graphics between 256 and 512 textures. What does the change between 1024, 512, 256, make?

Flyingaround, I'm back at work so I can't tell you off hand where they are set exactly. I experiment a lot, but I think they are about mid way right now on all 3 sliders.

If you don't already, it helps a lot with FPS to hit Shift F3 when you are near the ground in a furball with smoke from buildings ect.  The rest of the time I use Shift F1 or F2.

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2004, 07:27:02 PM »
Now I think I know why I get stutters, most of the time they are just annoying, but when they happen just as you are lining up a shot (which happens at least once or more a night), you get really annoyed :(

I have 1 GB of RAM, and I defragged my drive the other day, but not since we upgraded AH2 the last time.

I personally would like to see a setting where we could have default only skins.  That would give low end machine users better performance if they select default skins only.  It would also still allow lots of eye candy for those who want it.

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2004, 12:06:13 AM »
Switching to 256 textures has fixed my stutters completely.

Running real smooth again, in fact better than ever in AHII.

There's still an occasional micro second hesitation, but it's totally fine, no complaints now.

When I login in the tower I'm starting with 19.5 MBs used video memory. After an hour or so it goes up to 35MBs and stays stable there.  That leaves a lot of video memory unused on a 128 MB card.

I even enabled 2X AA, and the graphics at 256 are pretty enough for me!

Thanks HTC!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 11:57:09 AM by MOSQ »

Offline paulobrien6969

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.freewebs.com/rafspitfires/index.htm
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2004, 11:53:02 AM »
hi again i have an extra 256mb sdram in the post
and after reading above it looks like i need it it will put me up to 512 mbsdram i also have just received a geforce fx5200 256mb card
will these help?
i will also try the 256 setting since it worked for mosq