Author Topic: Bio-degradeable fish hooks  (Read 6066 times)

Offline quig

• Nickel Member
Bio-degradeable fish hooks
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2004, 09:31:44 PM »
Originally posted by XtrmeJ
Thanks to you I have a dead fish. You owe me. WTG, moron. :p

Funny....

When I did it the poor bastard lasted almost an hour.

Offline XtrmeJ

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2004, 09:33:20 PM »
:lol

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2004, 09:40:08 PM »
It's not about Peta. It's a bunch of fisherman who got together and came up with ways to ensure that there's gonna continue to be great fishing here for decades.

Hell, you can't even fish with bait.

Simply having a barb on your hook results in something like 15 or 20% of the fish end up dying from the trauma. From time to time I've forgotten to clamp the barb down, and trying to get a fish off one of these things can be ugly and time consuming. You half rip the fish's face off.

You don't see many guys here catchin' fish to eat them. In fact it's pretty taboo, and the guys that fish with a spin caster, a club and a cooler, while rare around here, are viewed as complete tools. It's a pretty serious sport, and the Bow River is probably in the top 5 trout rivers in the world. I'm pretty thankful for these rules... the fish are HUGE and there's lots of them. So what do I care about the rest of it?

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2004, 10:04:43 PM »
Originally posted by Nash
It's not about Peta. It's a bunch of fisherman who got together and came up with ways to ensure that there's gonna continue to be great fishing here for decades.

Simply having a barb on your hook results in something like 15 or 20% of the fish end up dying from the trauma. From time to time I've forgotten to clamp the barb down, and trying to get a fish off one of these things can be ugly and time consuming. You half rip the fish's face off.

You don't see many guys here catchin' fish to eat them. In fact it's pretty taboo, and the guys that fish with a spin caster, a club and a cooler, while rare around here, are viewed as complete tools. It's a pretty serious sport, and the Bow River is probably in the top 5 trout rivers in the world. I'm pretty thankful for these rules... the fish are HUGE and there's lots of them. So what do I care about the rest of it?

well that makes sense from a sporting aspect.  I don't understand why peta has such a big deal about fishing....people have been doing it for centuries.  

I havnt been fishing for a LONG time but I did eat the last thing I caught.....10lb catfish fried w/ some lemon served with homestyle potatoes and gravey!  :)

not to hijack the thread or anything but most hunters/fishermen are also conservationists.  They beleive and keeping the land that they hunt/fish on beautiful and do infact care about the animals they are hunting.  Peta can still kiss my prettythang.

Offline Lazer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2004, 10:25:53 PM »
haha.. you guys are sick! :D

Who pepper sprays a fish? :)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2004, 10:28:15 PM »
You're exactly right Gunslinger.

I never really bought into that idea so much until I started getting into it myself. But man is it ever true. Fishermen, hunters, ranchers etc., care more about this stuff than any lobbyist could ever... because they personally depend on it.

Offline Capt. Pork

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2004, 10:36:41 PM »
Originally posted by Nash

I don't wanna give myself away as totally naive, but how does it work without bait?

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2004, 10:36:48 PM »
I was arguing with a friend of mine on the topic of fishing hooks that rust away after a couple of days

Kill yourself. Hell, take Udie with you.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2004, 11:39:56 PM »
Originally posted by Capt. Pork
I don't wanna give myself away as totally naive, but how does it work without bait?

It confused me when I first heard about it too. It means any substance that attracts fish by scent and/or flavour. So like, even worms for example.

The reason is, when ya hook a fish with a fly they generally get hooked in the lip. With bait, the fish tend to swollow these and the hook gets into their stomach or gills. ~25% of trout caught with bait die.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2004, 11:57:35 PM »
Nash is exactly correct... same goes for the species of fish I tend to fish for: Bass, Walleye, Northern, muskie.... etc.  Seems like using live bait is almost cheating.  Also, in my experience, the really big fish are just too smart for live bait(could be completely untrue as a rule, just my experience).  Biggest fish in about any species I've caught have been caught on artificial.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2004, 12:48:17 AM »
Someone call Storch, he's the master of fish hooks.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Scootter

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2004, 03:52:04 PM »
Originally posted by quig
Simple test:

Find someone with a fish tank, grab up one of their precious fish, spray that sucker down with pepper spray, drop it back into the tank.

Then time how long it takes that thing to stop bouncing of the sides of the tank.

I have a fresh water and a salt water fish tank, I have a Repalla 13-G (3 sets of trebel hooks) in the fresh water tank hooked to a branch (to look like a real slice of a lake) it has been in there for 3 years and yes the hooks are rusty but a long way from being gone. I started an experment in the saltwater tank about 6 month ago with a stainless hooked lure in the same way and the hooks are starting to get rusty a bit but will last for a long time before desolving.

I bet in a fish they would be subject to more degradeing but rusting away in days, no way.

I have been scuba diving on wrecks and reefs and have recovered lures in very nice shape (cleaned them up sharpened the hooks and fished them)

Just a home spun experment but there you go

storch

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2004, 04:02:41 PM »
Fish hooks will corrode but not in a few days.  More like a few months.  We were spear fishing off of Hollywood Beach and my brother comes up a with a snook.  I was about to lay into him for spearing a snook when he shows me the hook and long leader.  He managed to grab the leader and haul the sucker back.  Since it wasn't speared it was a legal keeper.  I'm just glad we didn't have to explain it to any marine patrols though.

storch

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2004, 04:07:44 PM »
Originally posted by Capt. Pork

I've caught more than one peacock bass with just a shiny hook retrieved quickly.  If you use a spoon or a crank bait it works better.  Certain species are very aggressive and at certain times of the year hit moving objects.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2004, 05:17:16 PM »
Last yr while surfing the net trying to find info on any local Muskie fishing spots I came across an article on this very subject...

A study was done on the effects of bait fishing for muskie trying to determine the survival rate of fish who swallowed the hooks....
All those that did swallow the hook were tagged and monitored.

Within a year all had perished, minus a couple which were MIA.

Just passin it on...

SKurj