Author Topic: Realism? Where did they go?  (Read 6027 times)

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
Realism? Where did they go?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2001, 03:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
I've flown there exclusively since it was opened.

AKDejaVu

So, I’ve been hunting rook F6F’s for nothing  :D.

Glad you all got it.  Have fun.  I don’t see it replacing the MA anytime soon which is fine with me.

Zippatuh

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2001, 03:50:00 PM »
need smaller map and more a/c. a p38 and p51b and a 205 and zeke would be nice.

It would still be axis vs allied.

I love the CA, but its not worth being in such a huge map fighting on the same sector always and waiting for the 5 cv's to get near the shore to start the cv vs airfield spawn war.

And the icon setting and bar dar settings RULE!!!

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2001, 07:52:00 PM »
Everyone is doing the summer thing.  Give it some time.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2001, 08:03:00 PM »
Jeezus.. listen to these guys swing hammers on the nails for the CA's coffin...

NEWS>> it ain't DEAD.. it just needs a new map and planeset.

FWIW, you woudn't of dug it anyway Rude.. Norway map; mosta the LW stuff enabled but only a Brit planeset. Brit forces said the hell with the long flight; placed CV's off the norway coast and for the most part played 'dodge' to B&Z'in G10's and FW's.

Next map and planest will be better.

And you guys pissin on the parade; get off yer high horses.. it's a new program; give HTC time to bring it along!

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: Hangtime ]
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2001, 11:07:00 PM »
The scale of the terrin is excellent for large multi-frame scenarios but it is just too large for the "fly when I can get the time" seedlings to risk going in there looking for a decent scrap.  I tried the other night and after about fifteen minutes I was barely halfway to the nearest enemy field and no one, not even one, adversary had logged on.

That being said, the idea of an arena giving historic match-ups a chance to compete is great.  The CT is an excellent diversion.  It needs to be tweeked and I will be happy to offer my time to grow the crowd when the travel time to a decent fight is not so prohibitive.

The only other thing I would say is this: Yes Lazs1, you are in the large majority when describing your preference for fantasy fun furballs.  I agree with you and enjoy it as well.  However, I am happy to have the opportunity to choose a change of pace when the mood strikes me (and provided I have an interest in the offered planesets.  BoB bores this kid to death).  

In my estimation, this is a format that HTC needs to offer to entice the smaller more exclusive dedicated historical types.

Yeager

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: Yeager ]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2001, 11:39:00 PM »
New planeset and map in place in the CT now... Channel; early war.

... hey Laz; get this; the spit9 is PERKED! 10 points!! and the LW perk plane is a 190A5... for only FIVE points.

aHehhehhe..

HAHAHHAHHAHAH

whohohoho hahhahha hehheh... ahhhhhh crap.

I'll be back in 6 months when we get to 1944. *sigh* I can't fly a damn spit or a freakin 109. Somebody pass me a hammer and some of those nails fer this coffin.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2001, 12:08:00 AM »
Flew in there tonight, had a blast.  We ran a big mission (as close to a historical "Circus" as I could come up with) and had the LW chasing us all over the channel coast.    :)

<S> Opportunists and Waffles!

New planeset and map in place in the CT now... Channel; early war.
... hey Laz; get this; the spit9 is PERKED! 10 points!! and the LW perk plane is a 190A5... for only FIVE points.

aHehhehhe..

You mean there was a period of the war where Spit 9 was more rare than Fw 190A?  And there were no P-51D's?  Heaven forbid!    :)

If you want all-late-war-monsters all the time, try the MA!  That's what it's there for.  And then you want some quasi-historical stuff, hit the CT again.  That's what it's there for!

It's just like breakfast.  I like Frosted Mini-Wheats.  But if I eat it every day for two years, eventually I get tired of it.  So some days I eat Rice Krispies, or Raisin Bran.  After eating Frosted Mini-Wheats every day for a two years, the other cereals taste great.  It doesn't mean I can't ever again eat Frosted Mini-Wheats.  Because they are so dang fiber-licous, I end up eating them again.  But thank God I have alternative cereals, so I don't have to eat the same one every day.  Otherwise I'd probably stop eating cereal altogether.

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2001, 12:12:00 AM »
Yup,

Just got out of there.  Very much improved.  
Good challenging fights 109s vrs Spits over a reasonable and entertaining short hop terrain scale.

Pyro could really turn this into something fantastic with eastern front, pacific campaigns, africa.....early, mid late rotated every few days or every weekend....

Very nice!

Y
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2001, 12:25:00 AM »
If only wheather would affect plane performance here it'd be a nice neat Eastern Front scenario.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2001, 01:21:00 AM »
I just got out of there myself- posted a cheesy little AAR on my one real flight there.  First flight was really a nothing- it consisted of fester and 3 other 190s and 2 109s making BnZ passes at any spits dumb enough to take off from the base they were circling.  Second flight was VERY entertaining though.

Offline Ramjet at Command HQ

• Zinc Member
      • http://www
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2001, 04:35:00 AM »
You will see crew from 249 Sqdn RAF and 312 Sqdn RAF who currently hang out in Warbirds if the CT gets better supported.

Ramjet
COS, Command HQ

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2001, 05:15:00 AM »
The CA is definatly taking baby steps right now but with the introduction of the Europe terrain it does peak my interest more.

Flying the Spit V is similar to training I suppose  :). Don't know how long it will take me to get enough points to fly a Spit IX.

Even though the flights are long and I spend most of my time trying to catch faster planes I will still continue to use the CA as my primary arena. I really feel much more immersion in that arena than I ever have in the Main.

This isn't for everyone and I certainly don't disparage those that don't care for it and I don't consider myself to be too much of a historical freak. I have found the fights in there to be more intense and heart pounding though probably due as much to the  flight time factor as anything. It does "cost" more to loose a fight it seems than in the Main.

Personaly I hope they keep the larget scale maps and look forward to some of those missions that funked has been putting up. Sorry I wasn't in there to join the one last night.

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline bigUC

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2001, 06:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by popeye:
Actually, the Realism Crowd is in the CA, but they are in boot camp.  In six weeks they will be flying Stearmans, then go on to AT6s.

:)

I didn't pass the physical - MA for me  :D
Kurt is winking at U!

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2001, 07:36:00 AM »
It looks promising.  Rolling Perk Set... should be very interesting.

I'll fly there some when I have time, and when there are planes available that I am interested in.  Flying Hurris in there will be a blast!

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2001, 07:55:00 AM »
Had some fun with the early war plane set last night.  Refreshing to hear, "ping...ping...ping...BOOOM", instead of just "BOOM".

The CA REALLY needs dot radar in the tower.  Wandering around looking for the enemy is very "unhistoric", and not much fun.  ;->  Hope to see this added in 1.08.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?