Author Topic: CDT, Lockup, Black screen please help  (Read 2622 times)

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
CDT, Lockup, Black screen please help
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2004, 11:37:25 PM »
Originally posted by Steve
DAMN!!!!!  Premature celebration.  Still getting lockups after all that effort.  I'm starting to suspect that the ATI 9800 Pro will not work well w/ AH2.... I wasted a lot of $$$ on this thing. Skuzzy, please help me.

Traded in my g-force for a ATI9600 PRO on a recomendation
from my Computer shop.
All tho don't have lock-ups , the card sucks in AH2. Frame rates
are down--lottsa little glitches like pieces of the map going awol ,
Gun site turns into the sun , just wierd irritating things.

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2004, 11:38:29 PM »
Steve,

You might post your IRQ settings here for Skuzzy and others to look at.

And this may seem weird, but do you have your sound card in the PCI slot that is closest to your AGP slot? Somtimes that can cause problems. If it is, try moving your sound card, and any other cards, away from the PCI slot that is next to the AGP slot. For some reason Windows likes to have an empty PCI slot between the AGP and the first PCI card.

If you do move your sound card you should uninstall the sound card first in System, then move the card, otherwise you may get funky IRQ problems.

And be sure that when you have reinstalled your sound card drivers that DX9 has not by default reset you to full acceleration.

From Skuzzy's Hints and Tips in the Hardware BBS:

SOUND PROBLEMS

NOTE: With version 1.11 of Aces High or later, we do require DirectX 8.1b or later. In DXDIAG, your DirectX Version should be 4.08.01.0881 or greater. If it is not, then you need to download and install DirectX from Microsoft's WEB site.

1) Press the "Start" button from the Windows desktop
2) Select "Run" from the dialog box that pops up.
3) In the Run dialog box, type DXDIAG and press the key.
This will start the Microsoft DirectX diagnostic tool.
4) Once started, select the "Sound" tab
5) Make sure you have your hardware acceleration set to no higher than 3/4 (one notch lower than full).
6) Run the Sound diagnostics and make sure is works.

If you are still having problems:

Make sure you have the latest sound chip/board drivers for your operating system. NOTE: In some cases, such as the C-Media chip or any onboard sound chip, random lockups and lost sounds seem to be normal.

If you have interrupt conflicts/sharing with any Sound Blaster board, you will have problems, such as video graphics stutter, lost sounds, general Internet connectivity issues, or any combination of the above.

Using the "System Information" tool, you can see what interrupts are being used in your computer system. NOTE: It is safe to ignore the various "Steering" interrupts.

Also if you are having problems with voice, you might try changing your record/encode method, in the game, go to "Setup", then press the "Voice" button from the clipboard and check the "Use Wave In" option to see if that will clear his problem up.

INTERRUPTS AND YOUR COMPUTER

For gaming, it is highly desirable that each device in your system be on its own interrupt. Sometimes this means moving cards around in the PCI slots to accomplish this.
Shared interrupts will cause all types of maladies. Stuttering video, sound cut-outs, all the way to system freezes and crashes.
It is difficult to tell you how to resolve this as it depends on the BIOS, motherboard, shared device type, operating system, and many other factors.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 11:52:48 PM by MOSQ »

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2004, 01:03:34 AM »
Here are my Irq's.. what do you think?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 01:07:12 AM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2004, 01:43:35 AM »
Strange that everyone resorts to the IRQ sharing 'fix'. Cards are supposed to able to share IRQ's and while it is not desiable to share AGP IRQ with any others it shouldn't cause any major problems. In fact with todays boards it is almost impossible to avoid sharing IRQ's.
I would like to know what turning down sound acceleration does though. Every other game I play, sound acceleration at max has no effect on them.
Looking at Steves IRQ pic, be aware the APIC which gives you more than 16 IRQ routes all IRQs above 15 through IRQ 9.
If you don't use them turn off the following in the BIOS-
Com1
Com2
Floppy ( I use LS120)
IDE 2 ( I use SCSI as main, need IDE 1 for LS120)
Printer ( I have network printer)
These will all help free up IRQ's for installed devices.

One suggstion Steve - If possible go into BIOS set PCI slot 1 to use IRQ 5, this usually shares with AGP slot and will get Vid card onto its own IRQ.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 01:52:44 AM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2004, 09:34:20 AM »
IMO it's not video related.

Did you try with a fresh AH install ?

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2004, 03:36:11 AM »
Tried new patch and played extensively w/ no boot.
I would have tested it more but the late night studmuffingotry really made me ill.  I had no idea the community was so overrun late at night by eunichs.  No more late night AH for me.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2004, 02:42:50 AM »
boot boot boot boot.  The results of my 4 flights tonight.
My free time just wore out.  If Skuzzy doesn't extend it while he fixes this buggy mess.  I'll find another game to play.  I am NOT goin gto pay for this.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2004, 02:43:11 AM »
boot boot boot boot.  The results of my 4 flights tonight.
My free time just wore out.  If Skuzzy doesn't extend it while he fixes this buggy mess.  I'll find another game to play.  I am NOT goin gto pay for this.

Offline moto61

• Copper Member
      • http://www.eastex.net/moto
I updated my BIOS
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2004, 01:20:11 PM »
I updated my BIOS at someones suggestion and I have only logged on once but, that one time there was NO problems. Prevoius to that my computer went thru the restart rountine 4 times with the longest online session being about 5 minutes.

I think I have actually mase it to the runway to land 2-5 times so far this tour.

Mt patience is also wearing thin. I may just sign off for a few months if this doesn't get better. Between the Rook hordes, small maps, and the constant restarts I am getting tired of the fight just to play.

:confused: