Author Topic: Recalling retired soldiers  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Recalling retired soldiers
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2004, 05:11:29 PM »
"are you saying you cannot be for the war unless you are in uniform? as usual you are full of ##it.."

Nope. I'm saying YOU'RE full of **** and cowering behind a keyboard while others go.

Offline bigsky

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2004, 05:16:45 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Retired soldiers aren't being recalled.

Everyone who has ever served knows of this particular risk.

yes they can call up retirees. its part of the deal, you get the check every month, your still avalible for duty. they have been recalling retirees for months from what ive heard. but from the way i understand only certain people in special fields. i was informed about the retirement deal and the inactive reserve commitment when i signed up. nothing special here, the hunt for warm bodies with recent and/or extensive military is on. and you cant beat being recalled to duty by being mercenary or whatever you want to call it. unless you were physically unable to perfome your duty.
"I am moist like bacon"

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2004, 05:22:32 PM »
Did my 20.  1975-95.  I even submitted a Voluntary Return to Active Duty on Sept. 12, the day after.  Recieved a reply the following April/May time period.  They sent a nice frameable document of how what a fine American I am to volenteer and come out of Retirement, thanks but no thanks.

If I was recalled, I would go. If not then, oh well they had their chance.  Not going to volenteer again.

:D

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2004, 05:34:56 PM »
Mac. What trade?

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2004, 05:35:04 PM »
Originally posted by bigsky
yes they can call up retirees. its part of the deal,

I did some checking and I stand corrected.

Funny thing is... after doing ten, I can't be recalled. If I did ten more, I'd be eligible.

I think this is the applicable law: http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/688.html
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 05:40:04 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Re: Recalling retired soldiers
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2004, 05:40:35 PM »
Originally posted by SunTracker
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/06/29/iraq.reserves.ap/index.html

Poor SOBs.  They did their service, now some are going to end up in body bags.

Nice troll

But seriously....

The print is not fine it is in black and white.  You can be involuntarily recalled if you are in the IRR.  Your enlisted time consists of 8 years total.....4, 5, or 6 active and the rest in the IRR.  They can recall you for the duration of a conflict plus 6 months.

After 20 years you are eligible for a pension but you dont actually retire until you reach 30....prior to 30 years you are on "retention pay"

This is all in black and white on your contract and they actually MAKE YOU READ IT NOW before you sign it.

Looks like you're time posting vacuous bravado on web boards could be over. You're manpower and ability to stop lead are needed badly. But why wait? Why not volunteer now to help the Army's plight and begin to practice what you preach.

Westy....I was recalled to active duty to support operation "Enduring Freedom" on Nov. 27th 2001.  My wife at the time was 3 months pregnant.  I had 12 days to make my watermelon and pick up a pack.

NOW,  I'm still ON active duty and I go were my commander in chief deems fit to order me to.  

As far as body bags only 815+ have died as a result of combat in Iraq.....statistically more die from traffic accidents every year while on active duty.  

Keep throwin fat on that fire :aok

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2004, 05:58:50 PM »
for your service

Do you work in statistics? Find out if you can how many Infantry have served in Iraq. And how many Infantry have died or been severly crippled in Iraq.

Then find out what % of drivers are killed or crippled each year in the US. Many different trades are of course suffering casualties in Iraq.  But the majortiy of casualties are probably focused in a few of them.
Just saying that if you really believe that its safer in Iraq then on Americas interstates then you should look into it.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2004, 05:59:50 PM »
Pongo

ABN RCN, * for you non~Military out there that's Airbourne Recon* communications, Signal Corp.  Jumped for 8 1/2 years, tunnels for 18 Months...*burn out period for tunnel rats is about 8 - 16 Months.*

*2 tours at Bragg, Fresh outta Jump School, then 82nd Recondo, to include Panama and Jungle Training, MI, = 3 years,*
*3 tours in Korea = 11 years mostly commo and S-2, 1 in Germany, ACR Commo Chief=4 years, 1 tour Gordon as a Instructor =1 year,

*Finished at Huachuca=16 months.* Tired of the "Click" in REMF's.

Told myself once, when it isn't fun anymore then it's time to get the f**k out"

Fuffered a lower back fracture, L4/L5 Compression, pinched disc from jumping. Had to give up the Hardcore stuff. Made it to 20 years though, often in extreme pain.

Would do it all over again too if need be.

:aok
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 10:39:35 PM by AWMac »

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2004, 06:10:14 PM »
82nd? if so wich Batallion?

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2004, 06:22:05 PM »
Originally posted by Pongo
for your service

Do you work in statistics? Find out if you can how many Infantry have served in Iraq. And how many Infantry have died or been severly crippled in Iraq.

Then find out what % of drivers are killed or crippled each year in the US. Many different trades are of course suffering casualties in Iraq.  But the majortiy of casualties are probably focused in a few of them.
Just saying that if you really believe that its safer in Iraq then on Americas interstates then you should look into it.

just comparing deaths here....MORE US servicmen Die in car accidents every year than have died in Iraq.....it a statistical fact...

how do I know?  I had to attend my annual summer safety briefing/suicide prevention class today.  (dont read anything into that we've had those since 95)  

I dont were you are mixing up infantry and drivers....they all catch bullets just the same.....Not trying to downplay the deaths just responding to the first statement about retirees ending up in bodybags.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2004, 07:12:20 PM »
God bless all those in the ready reserve and best wishes.  

They all have my full support.  I wont stab em in the back while they do their duty protecting all of us here on the homefront.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2004, 09:45:33 PM »
Volunteered after 9/11 also. Pounded the ears of every Guard/Reserve unit around. The Actives wouldn't even talk to me at all.

They all told me the same thing. If you can't total 20 by age sixty, we can't take you. I can only total 15, so they hung up on me. Badgered them for months too.

Wonder if they'd take me now? I think I'll give 'em a call tomorrow. I'm SURE they'll enjoy talking to me again!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

storch

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2004, 10:16:16 PM »
They probably wouldn't accept me back, I'm 47 and served 6, 4 active 2 reserve.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2004, 10:42:07 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
just comparing deaths here....MORE US servicmen Die in car accidents every year than have died in Iraq.....it a statistical fact...

how do I know?  I had to attend my annual summer safety briefing/suicide prevention class today.  (dont read anything into that we've had those since 95)

Looks like you've might have been lied to.

http://web1.whs.osd.mil/mmid/casualty/Death_Rates1.pdf

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2004, 10:47:41 PM »
The numbers on the chart don't add up either as percentages or totals, do they?

ah, they're per 100k numbers.

So in '02 there were 34.4/100K accidental deaths and  1.1/100k hostile action deaths, right?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!