Author Topic: Slipball Question  (Read 383 times)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
Slipball Question
« on: June 30, 2004, 11:18:52 AM »
ok, If i bank a plane to the left or right, the slip ball should follow, correct? Basically, if im flying straight as possible with no rudder input with right wing down 60 degrees -the slipball should "fall" to the right, correct? now if I reduce that to a 30 degree bank, the slipball will go back a touch torwards center. If i add right rudder now to coordinate it in a turn, then the ball should be lined up center, correct?

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Slipball Question
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 12:16:16 PM »
The phrase "Step on the Ball" works well as an explanation.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
Slipball Question
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 01:00:03 PM »
What I'm saying, is that when you bank and pull back for a turn, the ball stays centered in a cooridinated turn....any rudder input uncoordinates it.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Slipball Question
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 01:18:24 PM »
You'll find that in banks to the right very little input is needed because of engine torque. Turns to the left require much more rudder input. Except Yaks which are the opposite.

I don't know whether use combat trim changes any of that. I don't use it.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Slipball Question
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 02:03:24 PM »
Wallfle: The ball does not change with bank angle alone, it is a messure of side force on the plane. I.E. Slip/yaw angle. When you bank the plane it will not normal stay coridanted by itself. Adverse yaw do to ailaron deflection, along with other items create a a yawing force that needs to be corrected with rudder.

HiTech

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
Slipball Question
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 02:29:03 PM »
I guess it just seems weird to me that If i bank an aircraft 60 degrees and pull back on the stick, with no rudder input - the ball shows coordinated. as soon as I add a minimal touch of rudder - the ball goes apes**t - for lack of a better term.

Thought "coordinated turns" were when you're in a slight bank and you add rudder in the direction of the turn/bank to keep the ball centered?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 02:37:12 PM by Waffle »

Offline Gryffin

• Nickel Member
Slipball Question
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 03:03:54 PM »
Is auto trim taking care of coordinating the turn maybe? I must admit, I have never actually watched the ball during flight, but perhaps with auto trim off it might behave differently.