Author Topic: Half the fun it used to be  (Read 4237 times)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Half the fun it used to be
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2004, 03:59:50 AM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
actually it's a stupid tactic because you'll lose E due to drag and not have full power when you need it but no, it's not what I'm talking about.

The ones that will turn off and on their engines to create drag and slow themselves down so they can turn tighter are the ones I'm talking about.  Just ask Hblair :c)

ack-ack

but, if its a one on one and they dont spot/hear you, you dont need to keep your E. unless your gunnery really sucks :D

I dont know about AH2 as i have not played it yet, but, in AH1, the ammount of times i narrowly avoided death because i heard their engine when they got close to me was not funny.

equally, the amount of times i got to D100 before they spotted me with the 'glide the last 1,000yrds' tactic makes me think its not totaly negative to go stealth for 5 seconds.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 04:02:01 AM by mechanic »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2004, 04:01:01 AM »
Never liked Pat Benetar.  (sp?)
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline 13Promet

• Copper Member
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2004, 05:34:51 AM »
I've been flying P51 pretty much in AH1 with some success, and I think AH2 one is way better: same high speed maneuvrability but much better dogfighting capabilities: it can outmaneuvre Yaks easilly, which was very hard to do before (given equal skilled pilots).
And, of course, excellent .50 lasers.
As for shooting distance, no change for me: I've been always shooting from 200 yds-, even when B&Zing at 500 MPH.
The new rudder response also allows more extreme maneuvres (barrell rolls, rolling scissors and hammerheads especially), if you're skilled enough to control the plane on the edge.
Moreover, the new icon system greatly helps in B&Z, since the attacked plane (spit for instance) will not dare to follow you up in the zoom not knowing the exact close up rate. And anyway he won't be able to wreck you by emptying his ammo load while floating 1k yds under you, as too often happened to me in AH1. At least this is what i'm experiencing.
Outrunning the enemy is also much easier because when you get over 400 yds distance some smooth movements are enough not to get hit, even from hizookas, making the run much safer and effective, when necessary.
As for B&Z VS T&B tactics (I play both, depending on my mood and fighting environment), I can't see much difference between AH1 and AH2. It actually seems to me that more technical pilots are advantaged compared to AH1, whatever the tactic employed: ACMs are much more critical now.

I really can't understand pony drivers complaining.

Best regards

Promet
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 07:54:57 AM by 13Promet »

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2004, 06:50:30 AM »
Originally posted by 13Promet
And anyway he won't be able to wreck you by emptying his ammo load while floating 1k yds under you, as too often happened to me in AH1.
Yep - that happened to me way too often. In a 109F v Spit, the 109 should be able to spiral climb to get above the Spit. Indeed, in AH2 if the Spit (or N1k, whatever) tries to follow, he stalls out and flip-flops as he tries to recover. But in AH1, he'd pull up into helicopter mode and spray upwards from 1K, just as 13Promet says. That particular scenario was the most exploited, biggest BS feature that AH1 had to offer. I'm soooo glad it's gone.

BTW 13Promet - I unset the read-only attribute on ALL my settings files. Now combat trim STAYS off unless I turn it on, and my loadouts stay as they were the last time I used that plane, tracers stay turned off etc. Thanks for your help! :aok

Offline 13Promet

• Copper Member
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2004, 07:50:55 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
BTW 13Promet - I unset the read-only attribute on ALL my settings files. Now combat trim STAYS off unless I turn it on, and my loadouts stay as they were the last time I used that plane, tracers stay turned off etc. Thanks for your help! :aok

Glad it worked ;)

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2004, 09:31:29 AM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
actually it's a stupid tactic because you'll lose E due to drag and not have full power when you need it but no, it's not what I'm talking about.

The ones that will turn off and on their engines to create drag and slow themselves down so they can turn tighter are the ones I'm talking about.  Just ask Hblair :c)

ack-ack

I think Ack-Ack is just jealous here,  since his P-38 could never do it ;)   It was proven as having no significance in a fight anyway..

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2004, 09:49:09 AM »
another thing to think about when your talking about "slower" planes catching faster ones - if the faster one is running on reduced throtlle/rpm for fuel conservation instead of full press/rpm, it can be caught.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2004, 11:19:05 AM »
since the attacked plane (spit for instance) will not dare to follow you up in the zoom

I WANT them following me up in a zoom.

And anyway he won't be able to wreck you by emptying his ammo load while floating 1k yds under you, as too often happened to me in AH1.

I got hit from 800 once while roping... once.   Sounds like you need to learn the ancient and nearly lost art of the spiral climb.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Steve
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2004, 11:29:00 AM »
Steve...

So far the 51 seems to have improved flight modeling relative to the rest of the planes in AHII. It may take some getting used to but I think it is more competitve now in the turning department. Also, it seems more closely matched to the la7 speed wise(more on that as I get more experience)

Agreed! in fact as stated it appears to have an uberhaul in respect to all other aircraft.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
) Dropped on one in a Tiffy from 5k above him (he's on deck), and he out runs me!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No offense Kev but you either blew the angle or underestimated the 51 speed.

Possible, but also had one outrun a Tempest!!!!

quote:
2) Seen one turn inside a Hurri.

I've doen that .. especially fast. Or if I'm quick but not too fast, I can yoyo and make it appear I'm turning inside.  

No he actually turned inside a Hurri 2c

quote:
3) Seen another lift from a field, chase a Tiff that just strafed runway - and catch it!

Awww cmon.

Happened to me also but was a 109 in my case.

Whole point was that it seems to be doing things I doubt it could ever do.
Of course this could all be due to ongoing fixes for AH2, which IMO is still only BETA quality.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2004, 03:56:12 PM »
I flew the Pony D in AH1 because it was a very competitive ride.

I fly the Pony D in AH2 because I think it is a very competitive ride.

It is extremely fast on the deck, and really kicks in the afterburners at about 12K or so.

I think the 6 - 50 cal gun set is very deadly at ranges of under 250 yards which now seems to be normal effective guns range in AH2.  Also, the faster trajectory of the 50 cal Browning makes it easier to lead than cannons or 50 cals of other varieties.  The 6 - 50 cal was a deadly package in the real war, that should satisfy the realism buffs.  However, the 6 - 50 cal set will not get you a lot of one pass kills which may keep it's popularity down (Yeh!)

The Pony turns well, especially with maneuvering flaps set, that's why they had maneuvering flaps. The real Pony could turn, deal with it

The Pony has long legs, which has become important with the fuel burn multiplier set at 2.

If the Pony is a uber ride in AH2, maybe that is because it WAS a uber ride in the real war.  It seems to come up with the crown of being the best fighter of WW2 from a lot of "experts." It may get the crown of being the best in AH2, kinda appropriate.  BTW, I would say the best plane of AH1 was the LA-7. But I still flew Ponies most of the time.

I've noticed that there are a lot more 109s than in AH2.  The 109 was a great plane in WW2 and it therefore should be a great plane in AH.  I wonder why is no one whining about 109s?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 03:59:09 PM by AKFokerFoder+ »

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2004, 04:00:19 PM »
another thing to think about when your talking about "slower" planes catching faster ones - if the faster one is running on reduced throtlle/rpm for fuel conservation instead of full press/rpm, it can be caught.
I don't think I would agree with that.  If ther person is smart they are bringing more fuel, which means maybe they are heavier.  If they are running they are firewalled.

Personally I bring more fuel, so I am always firewalled to burn the excess faster.

Offline GODO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s/fw190.htm
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2004, 04:36:48 PM »
Originally posted by Steve
The gunnery definitely favors slower planes as you must be closer

Just the contrary. Slow planes now cant kill you easily at 900 yards, and they cant aproach to you. With the exceptional exception of any diving Spit ...

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2004, 05:56:41 PM »
Blah!   you have to get closer, have a longer gun solution to get kills.  Ergo you may have to slow down your speed plane to get an adequate gun solution, bringing you closer to the  realm in which the turnfiters dominate.

Just the contrary. Slow planes now cant kill you easily at 900 yards, and they cant aproach to you. With the exceptional exception of any diving Spit ...

Every time one of you guys wanna argue my point you talk about running away.  Run all you want, I'm talking about fighting.

If you were getting killed with ANY regularity over 600 yards in AHI, you never really learned the finer points of pony flying.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2004, 06:12:14 PM »
Blah!   you have to get closer, have a longer gun solution to get kills.  Ergo you may have to slow down your speed plane to get an adequate gun solution, bringing you closer to the  realm in which the turnfiters dominate.

Every time one of you guys wanna argue my point you talk about running away.  Run all you want, I'm talking about fighting.

If you were getting killed with ANY regularity over 600 yards in AHI, you never really learned the finer points of pony flying.

this is the best thing i have seen you post steve!

the thing i miss the least about Aces High (now that i cant play) is the constant runnning pony/la7/190 gang.

infact, when a pony actually turned and fought me i usualy got killed as i was so shocked at him not running:D

sometimes i think AH is nothing more than a chatroom mixed with a pleasure cruise flight sim.

then, every now and then, i run into a good fight.....

batfink
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2004, 06:17:00 PM »
Are you talking about pony flying as in the real world in WW2, or are you talking about AH1 pony gaming-the-game? I met a RL pony pilot at a WB con, and the pony was never flown in a way which would extol its virtues as flown in AH. By which I mean that most of what you have seen in AH is no more than gamers' gamey crap.

BTW how are those crying towels doing in the ladies washroom? :lol;)