Author Topic: With Full serve prices hitting 2$ a gallon....  (Read 522 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
With Full serve prices hitting 2$ a gallon....
« on: March 30, 2000, 10:12:00 AM »
Cost conscious Southwest Airlines has pilots use self serve.

[This message has been edited by Gman (edited 03-30-2000).]

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2000, 10:30:00 AM »
Uh, while I appreciate the attempt at humor, I see nothing funny in air crashes.

------------------
banana
308 (Polish) Squadron RAF "City of Cracow"
"On the whole, it is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them"

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2000, 11:07:00 AM »
Well, to the best of my knowledge nobody was hurt in this incident.

Regarding "air crashes", as you put it, which is a bit of a misnomer since you can't crash into air, I've witnessed 2 incidents which would qualify, and was onboard one of the aircraft in question, a DC-9 that slid off the runway and did a 320 degree spin through an occupied taxiway.

The other was another DC-9 that lost its left engine (exploded was more like it) on final approach.  I was in the tower doing ATC training at the time.

So if I can find this pic funny, I'm sure you can, without me "horrifying" your delicate sense of disaster.

And by the way, the first thing they did to us in ATC school was make us listen to pilots on the radio as their aircraft went down (some screamed, some were eerily calm), so don't get high and mighty on me if you haven't had the nightmares yourself.  Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Gman (edited 03-30-2000).]

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2000, 11:15:00 AM »
Sorry if I sounded like I was "high and mighty". That was not my intention. It's just that I don't see anything humorous about crashes of any sort. You are correct, I don't have any airplane mishap or crash experience(thank God), but I have been broadsided by a semi-trailer, and nearly killed. Does that qualify?

------------------
banana
"On the whole, it is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them"

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2000, 11:22:00 AM »
LOL, I'm sure it qualifies, and nothing that bad has ever happened to me (knock on wood).  Sorry if I came off as an a-hole, I'm considering a change at work and I'm a bucket of stress.

(S)! to you guys for taking the 308's proud name.  One of my grandfathers was in Lancasters, the other worked as a radio tech, and one of the squads he was liasoned to for a period of time was the A303 squadron.  I'm sure I can send you guys some pics for your website or whatever of both 308 and 303 squadron A/C, although they will be laser copies of the originals.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2000, 11:40:00 AM »
<S> Back at ya!  

Sorry for getting my undies in a bunch so fast. Like I said, I appreciate humor, but crashes are just too near and scary to me to be funny. I'll shut up now.  

------------------
banana