Author Topic: Not impressed  (Read 508 times)

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
Not impressed
« on: January 03, 2001, 10:49:00 PM »
I can't understand all the hoopla over the CH Combatstick. Understand that I have been using a Suncom F15 Talon for the past 2 years without a hitch and all of a sudden one of the pots went all crazy. It's an easy thing to repair but I got all swooped up by the CH mystique and this UBS thing.

Anyway, the first thing I noticed was how easy it was to push this stick around. Compared to my Talon it felt like I was pushing a pencil around. No feedback at all hardly. Keep in mind that I kicked up my Talon's springs a few notches and it was even harder to pull around, so going to the CH stick felt like cheap junk.  I tried the O-ring suggestion and even tried several different sizes in conjunction with the springs. It felt a little stiffer but it also felt ..uhm..sticky? I hate the way that it was not smooth in all the axes. You can feel where one axis starts and another ends.

And the UBS thing. Yes the small spikes were gone, but not really too much better than my good old CH gamecard, and with the speed set just right, it almost kills all the spiking.

The Suncom is smooth all the way around. It is big and feels like it's made of steel. Heavy too. I'm looking at the two, my old Suncom and this brand new shiny CH thing and I'm trying to figure out for the life of me why the CH stick can get by at $80 where the Talon is only $25????

So the CH stick went back in the box and off to the shipper. I called around and was pleasantly surprised to find just one Suncom Talon left at a nearby store. I got it came home, and WOW! They have apparently upped the ante on the springs cause this baby has even more tension than my juiced up model, and it is so smooth. Hardly a scratch of spiking noticeable.  

Some say the CH sticks will last for 6 years or more. Really though..who cares? For $25 you can buy a brand new Talon one every 3 years for the same price of this piece of pure plastic junk they call a CH stick.

Keep in mind this is my first experience with a CH stick since I had the old Flightstick about 8 years ago. Feels like the same old crap.

fscott

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
Not impressed
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2001, 11:04:00 PM »
never take a recomendation from us is the answer..
ive noticed this strange brand loyalty with video cards.i guess they spend a fortune then even if its crap they tell you its great because they wont even admit to themselves they've bought a wrong'un  
btw everything ive bought is top notch...no really! go on buy the same heheh

hazed

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Not impressed
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2001, 11:11:00 PM »
I remember when the CH vs TM wars raged even worse than the AH vs WB debates we see these days

AKDejaVu

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Not impressed
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2001, 11:13:00 PM »
Call the thread police. This belongs in another area. Seems like it deals with hardware.  

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
Not impressed
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2001, 11:16:00 PM »
That's funny I bought a Suncom F-15 and it blows bigtime with spiking, the spring tension is not smooth at all. I luv TM Topgun even with those pots at least the spring tension gave nice smooth inputs. The world is a funny place.

Mav13 you going to call yourself?

[This message has been edited by Torque (edited 01-03-2001).]

TheWobble

Not impressed
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2001, 12:08:00 AM »
Well I would tell ya to try a logitech stick but if you dont want to know how they feel you can stick a steak knife up your bellybutton and try to fly with it. thats the emotion i feel when i use mine anyway...  ANYONE WANA SELL A GOOD JOYSTICK!?

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Not impressed
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2001, 12:23:00 AM »
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

funked

Not impressed
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2001, 12:28:00 AM »
Love my CombatStick USB.  There is not a more precise gaming instrument.  

Offline Smut

• Copper Member
Not impressed
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2001, 07:30:00 AM »

Originally posted by TheWobble:
Well I would tell ya to try a logitech stick but if you dont want to know how they feel you can stick a steak knife up your bellybutton and try to fly with it. thats the emotion i feel when i use mine anyway...  ANYONE WANA SELL A GOOD JOYSTICK!?

Seriously dude...how old are you?

-Smut

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Not impressed
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2001, 07:33:00 AM »
When I bought my CH Fighterstick, I had been a TM user.

As most of you know TM sticks feel like they use tractor trailer leaf springs for joystick springs, while CH is the exact opposite.

It took me a while to adapt, but once I got use to it, I would never buy another stick than CH.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Not impressed
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2001, 07:40:00 AM »
 I had a MckeySoft Sideswiper 3d Blo that died and I bought all CH gear based on Vermillions recomendations a couple of years ago. I've enjoyed the blazes out of it.
 With the CH Pro Peds, Pro Thott and F16 Fighterstick I have a very, very nice hotas setup.
 I even have a CH FFX (for the day when we get FFback) and CH USB Gamestick 3D as backups.
 Sticks are like sims/games. It will always take some adjustment going from one brand to another. But if you can find what pleases you most then stick with it! Sorry the O-ring rig to provide heavier resistance didn't help much. You're the first to not like that trick  

-Westy

Offline Betown

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ecomm-net.co.uk
Not impressed
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2001, 07:53:00 AM »
It is all personal taste guys....
I am flying with <don't laugh> a Microsoft Sidewinder 3D pro...

I have a Saitek X type J/Stick and Throttle with some Rudder peddles siting in my cupboard. But to be honest this is much more nice to fly with. I love it.

It's tight, strong, heavy and totally amazing. The throttle is crap of course but I live with it. I have not bought a better stick.... Well actually I didn't buy it I traded it with a mate for a crappy Saitek Game pad but heY!

Pepino

Not impressed
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2001, 08:21:00 AM »
I have a Saitek X36 combo (USB). I switched from a very old F-16 figthterstick, since I could not find a fix for the chipset issue that made them unusable with fast motherboards (basically, you can not program buttons).

I find F-16 a LOT more sensitive and nice to fly with, and I would buy another one, but the price tag on X36 is unbeatable. Overall, quality is better with F-16, but Saitek gear is not particularly bad.

Just my € 0.02

Pepe

MrSiD

Not impressed
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2001, 08:56:00 AM »
I fly with M$ Precision Pro USB and I dont have one single bad word to say about it..

Well, except for the secondary fire button which I'd prefer to be located on the thumb rest not aside the 8-way hat switch..

The stick feel is very light, but thats exactly how I like it - and there are no stick spikes at all due to the optical 'pots'..

I never regreted paying $70 for it (yeah costs a squeak in finland) even though its a M$ product which made me think twice about buiying it.

So, I think choosing a stick is a matter of taste.. Try different sticks out in the store and make your decision using your own brain.

- MrSiD

Moose11

Not impressed
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2001, 09:37:00 AM »
As per recommendation on the AH board I purchased a refurbished x36 from Saitek. $40, and the only thing wrong with it is that it has scuff marks on the sides, making it not able to b e sold to a regular consumer. For a $60 discount, this was defintely worth it. Programming it is tough, and I still don't know what to do with all the extra buttons but it's 1000x easier then using my Logitech with the twisty handle.. Just have to get some rudder pedals one of these days and I'll be all set.