Author Topic: It's DejaVu all over again  (Read 190 times)

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
It's DejaVu all over again
« on: November 25, 2000, 08:13:00 AM »
With all the people leaving AH recently, you would think that Aces High has reached some crisis point.

I beg to differ.

This is something that all of us "old timers" in the flight sim biz have seen before in Warbirds, and will probably see again in other sims. There seems to be cycles of turnover that happen from time to time. After four years, I was part of one mass exodus from Warbirds last year. It was an emotional time for me, and I felt sad that the sim I had grown to love just wasn't tripping my trigger anymore.

With no disrespect intented to all those who have recently left, it's my experience that this sort of thing is a normal process in the life of an online sim. I don't see it as the "sky is falling". Rather, it's just a changing of the guard. Those that left we'll probably run into again in another sim, perhaps WW2OL.

Seems to me that most of the people leaving were folks that were online a lot every month. They just burned themselves out. I hope they will be back after a rest, but if they don't come back, I'm sure we'll meet again in another sim.

Personally, since I only get to fly a few hours a week, I charish every time I fly with y'all.

Just one suggestion to everyone: Fly something other than the very best three planes in the planeset sometime. There are so many cool planes that get overlooked. I've gone back to flying the La-5fn and C.205 a lot, and am enjoying good success. There is life after the Niki and Chog, you just have to go out and find it.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2000, 09:09:00 AM »
People come, people go.

Happened in DOS AW, happens in WB, happens in every on line game.

Lots of reasons, but the results are usually the same.

The game goes on. Sort of like real life.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2000, 09:22:00 AM »
 Very well said banana.   They pretty much echo my thoughts on this subject too! <S>

Besides burn-out induced in part by playing too much and too seriously for some, AH has not become the sim they'd been hoping for.  And there's not been much feedback on the many questions, suggestions or ideas for upping the realism, complexity and gameplay that have been presented by the players.  I think if  there had been (or will be) some HTC feed-back that could have lead to some remaining hopeful. Well, depending on the answer to many of those questions of course  
   AH honestly hasn't been what I'd wished for either. The standard issue icons, AWACS radar, and a few more features either missing or unchanged being the root of my dissatisfaction somewhat. However, AH is still the best option avialable to me at this time. Besides, it is a damn fine sim, er game.  I still enjoy flying every time I get a chance. Which can be several nights per week  tallying up to many, many hours (rare) or at the worst only one or two for a few hours at most each time.

-Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 11-25-2000).]

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2000, 10:32:00 AM »
First off.. I see no need to blame me for this.

Secondly, I totally agree.

AKDejaVu

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2000, 03:02:00 AM »
LOL Deja  

-towd_

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2000, 01:53:00 PM »
or maybe the game is getting sucky ?

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2000, 02:59:00 PM »
Towd you mean ppl right?

[This message has been edited by Torque (edited 11-26-2000).]

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2000, 12:58:00 AM »
towd, how is the game "gettin sucky"?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2000, 08:07:00 AM »
For those who have left, or planning to leave, as banana said, its a "online cycle" that repeats itself.

Put your hand into a 55 gallon drum of water, then pull it out, did you see the water level drop significantly?  Nope.

For every person that leaves, I meet two new people, at this time I'd like to welcome Gunslayer, Kiji, and Khaalid to VMF-323! <S>

Offline JimBear

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2000, 09:22:00 AM »
Rip,
You got a great stick and a good guy in Gunslayer!  <S>

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2000, 12:49:00 PM »
rip the problem as I see it is that good sport sticks go out, and dweeb HO masters go in.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2000, 12:56:00 PM »
Santa, experience comes from within the game... don't look to import it.

I've seen several new people that have the potential to be great sticks.  I've even seen some that have enough potential that they can already avoid a HO with a newbie.

Maybe I'd just like to see that from more of the experienced pilots.

AKDejaVu

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2000, 03:27:00 PM »
Deja, excellent points.

It is jsut my experience that most don't bother to learn other tactics than HO.

I might be wrong though.

------------------
StSanta
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
while(!bishRookQueue.isEmpty() && loggedOn()){
30mmDeathDIEDIEDIE(bishRookQueue.removeFront());
System.out.println("LW pilots are superior");
myPlane.performVictoryRoll();
}