Author Topic: Stalls or Spins from stalling?  (Read 416 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Stalls or Spins from stalling?
« on: July 20, 2004, 07:38:31 PM »
A few have posted having trouble with stalls, usually if you stall, you just run out of E, and experience your nose dropping. Spins are usually the end result of stalling, especially at low speed / low energy lose airflow from 1 or both wings, wether it be a slow speed stall, or an accelerated stall along with your AOA. When you have used the wrong combination of axis inputs.

Most straight out stalls are easily countered, lower nose adjust flight path to regain lift and speed.

If you encounter a spin after stalling, is the more or less unspoken word of pushing over on stick ( getting nose pointed at least 40 degrees below horizon, the more the better) reducing throttle to 0 or ( some shut engine off they say it is faster ) and using opposite rudder from the direction you are spinning. Hardly any aileron input at all if any. Once the spinning slows to a stop, increase throttle and gently/slowly pull out. If you act fast/jerky/hastily you may find yourself right back in a spin or spinning in the opposite direction.

There is also 2 forms of spins. The Vertical ( tail ) spin and the horizontal ( flat ) spin.

Vertical spin should be easy ( with experience ) to recover most every time( with enough alt). The horizontal spin can be dang near impossible to recover, and if you do manage to consider yourself lucky. same as in real life, vertical was much easier than a horizontal spin recovery ever was.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 12:04:08 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 01:14:08 PM »
the horizontal is reletively easy to recover from in a p38L, just roll her over with some rudder action, or shut off an eng and it will spin over.

Offline memnon

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 06:30:11 PM »
i have recovered from horizontal spins and here is what i do i put down flaps throttle back kick rudder and if upside down use aileron in same direction of rudder so as to flip over and then nose over. If i'm not upside down then i do everything i just siad above except i don't use the ailerons. It's not easy but it can be done.