Author Topic: HTC - Bring Back Big Maps!  (Read 6913 times)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
HTC - Bring Back Big Maps!
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2004, 03:31:25 PM »
Originally posted by MetaTron
Well, you've gone and twisted what I was saying to suit your own agenda. The Hornets have captured bases with six guys and been opposed. Sorry you can't do it.

Jackal, piss off. Apparently you idiots want to be attacked by hoards. I don't.

ROFL..Just up all the alias names you have used to try to hide from your fantasy fiasco and scam attempts at once and you will have your own hoard.
 Go study your CIA manual or spawn camp somewhere.  :D
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline MetaTron

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2004, 04:05:24 PM »
Fine, Jackal. You want to be an ass, I'll just make sure I don't see your crap again.

Point is, we HAVE all been fighting hoards. It's not fun. As I have said in COUNTLESS other threads, vultching is not fun. Hornets don't have to vultch. We will, and do, when we don't have the numbers to close a field before capture.

Zazen, you are telling me only what YOU do, not what Hornets do.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2004, 04:14:07 PM »
Fine, Jackal. You want to be an ass, I'll just make sure I don't see your crap again.

Point is, we HAVE all been fighting hoards. It's not fun. As I have said in COUNTLESS other threads, vultching is not fun. Hornets don't have to vultch. We will, and do, when we don't have the numbers to close a field before capture.

Zazen, you are telling me only what YOU do, not what Hornets do.

Ummm, we know better Metatron, Hornets are all about score whoring, you know it, everyone knows it, pretending otherwise for the sake of argument is transparent and quite lame . The simple truth is, small maps with concentrated forces isn't as conducive to your style of score whoring as you would like so you're whining about it. As I am sure you are aware, your name itself has become universally synonymous with 'gaming the game', you are the quintessential score/rank potato, willing to devote vast amounts of time and effort doing everything and anything necessary to give the appearance of "greatness".

Btw, I detest vulching, hard to vulch from my 20k perch even if I was so inclined :aok
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 04:26:43 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2004, 04:17:50 PM »
I agree we need the big maps. The big maps seem to address the horde mentality. As of T54, I have logged only 3¼ hours. In AH1 I would simply sit out small maps weeks. In AH2 that means sitting out the entire game, which is pretty much what I've done.

I'm not going to argue which is right or better - small maps or large. All I'm saying is that unless we get some different maps soon, my interest in this game is going to wane very rapidly indeed.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2004, 04:21:40 PM »

It`s me again Margaret! :D
That makes 3 times so far you have made that threat.
Poop or get off the pot Scorpion boy.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 04:29:05 PM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2004, 04:22:18 PM »
For Gods sake.. it is hordes.  H O R D E S.  Not hoards.  That is a big pile of something.

And actually is probably is still possible to take a base with 5 or 6 guys if you can take down the town, then have the goon drop right away while the others cap the field.  You couldn't do it if people were in the air already though, because then they'd kill you while you were heavy.  

Honestly, I prefer the small maps because you WILL find a fight on the small maps.  There are only so many places to attack, so fights tend to happen there.  NDIsles is actually my favorite map, because there actually usually is something for everything.  You want to GV?  Go to the center isle, or any of the smaller islands with bases on opposite ends.  You want to go GV hunting?  Do the same.  You want to kill planes?  Fly to a base, or fly over the middle of the center isle and kill the planes killing the GVs... eventually an air to air fight happens there every day.  

Sure it is "mindless furballing" with "no purpose".. but fighting is its own purpose.

On the large maps, if you want to play around in GVs it involves finding the one guy milkrunning a base in a Panzer or Flak*****, killing him, then finding him again as he milkruns to a new base.  The only air to air fights are typically horde on few, as very few people will take off over and over again to be killed repeatedly by one or two guys flying over enemy territory by themselves.. they'll die once and go off to milkrun, or join the horde.

I know being "forced to fight" grates on some people (and no Voss, I'm not saying you are on of them, just people in general), but I honestly think that "forcing" the population to fight by sticking them in a limited total area with a limited number of things to bomb or attack makes for a better game for everyone.

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2004, 04:25:54 PM »
We had big maps in beta....lots of bugs with them. Im guessing HTC is striving to make sure al the spawn points and bugs are worked out of them before putting them up.
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2004, 04:27:08 PM »
Why cant we all just be happy with what we have.........

metatron: you say fighting hoards is no fun, i love it.
i fly spitfire mkV always and a one on one is usually in my favour, so where is the fun or challenge in that?

i love nothing more than to fly under 10 enemies on my own or with a wingman and see how long i can stay alive.

i couldnt care less about proving that my rank is better than anyone elses. i am here for on thing and one thing only, to fight, kill and die without moaning, and then repeat the procces.

big maps would be fun, but small maps are just as good,
unless you want to be ranked #1 for the Xth year in a row.......

batfink

admitedly this is only my view, not anyone elses.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 04:31:38 PM by mechanic »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2004, 04:40:56 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
For Gods sake.. it is hordes.  H O R D E S.  Not hoards.  That is a big pile of something.

And actually is probably is still possible to take a base with 5 or 6 guys if you can take down the town, then have the goon drop right away while the others cap the field.  You couldn't do it if people were in the air already though, because then they'd kill you while you were heavy.  

Honestly, I prefer the small maps because you WILL find a fight on the small maps.  There are only so many places to attack, so fights tend to happen there.  NDIsles is actually my favorite map, because there actually usually is something for everything.  You want to GV?  Go to the center isle, or any of the smaller islands with bases on opposite ends.  You want to go GV hunting?  Do the same.  You want to kill planes?  Fly to a base, or fly over the middle of the center isle and kill the planes killing the GVs... eventually an air to air fight happens there every day.  

Sure it is "mindless furballing" with "no purpose".. but fighting is its own purpose.

On the large maps, if you want to play around in GVs it involves finding the one guy milkrunning a base in a Panzer or Flak*****, killing him, then finding him again as he milkruns to a new base.  The only air to air fights are typically horde on few, as very few people will take off over and over again to be killed repeatedly by one or two guys flying over enemy territory by themselves.. they'll die once and go off to milkrun, or join the horde.

I know being "forced to fight" grates on some people (and no Voss, I'm not saying you are on of them, just people in general), but I honestly think that "forcing" the population to fight by sticking them in a limited total area with a limited number of things to bomb or attack makes for a better game for everyone.

Exactly Urchin. For better or worse it is human nature to seek the path of least resistance. Without some sort of decisive numerical or perceived skill/talent advantage this generally entails avoiding confrontation altogether on the huge maps. Taking 5 or 6 guys to an outlying base away from principle engagements, making it flash and wacking the few defenders as they attempt to up after you've dropped your ordinance is a fine example of this natural human inclination. While this is wonderfull for your score/rank, it is largely an exercise in airiel masturbation. On small maps this does not occur, as each base is vehemently defended and those same 5 or 6 guys would get wacked somewhere between flying there and trying to drop their ordinance.

In my opinion, successfully negotiating a 40+ plane furball to the best of your ability with the strength of your chosen aircraft in mind is far more interesting and meaningfull. While this won't necessarily give you a pretty rank, there are a wide variety of engagements to be found and test yourself with at the various strata of the furball. This is what small maps offer in abundance. This is the flavor of the typical engagements during WW2 where one squadron or more met another and fought it out over a finite geographic area.

Zazen
« Last Edit: July 10, 2004, 04:55:48 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2004, 04:45:29 PM »
[size=8]OZKansas[/size]
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2004, 06:18:47 PM »
while i want to play the big maps like festerma and trinity, there just isnt a player base anymore for it

it just sucks coming on late morning early afternoon and only having 20 players per side.....since, you need MORE people to take a base now. UK time gameplay has got worse imo

HTC need to do some advertising because right now theres just not enough players during the day :(
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2004, 06:32:42 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
Ummm, we know better Metatron, Hornets are all about score whoring,  

BULLS**T

if we was about SCORE whoring they wouldnt have ME in it

we are about team work, and helping organise stuff between hornets, and friends like rollo, dadrabit SE guys, etc etc (sorry if i missed someone out! LOL).
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline MetaTron

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2004, 06:42:43 PM »
Let it go, OverLag. These guys are disconnected and have no idea what we're about. The whole point of their bbs (BS) domination is to run their agenda up the HTC flagpole and to hell with the rest of us.

Eventually, the will of the user population will overwhelm their crap.

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2004, 07:09:54 PM »
MetaTron, You say the gamplay is stale, that seems more to me the problem here than even the hordes. Yes the small maps stink for some, others like them. There plain and simple needs to be variety....this map is so stale I have been fighting to capture the same base for the last week. Yes we have captured it, but it gets taken back...then we take it...    you get the picture.

It is rediculous that it goes on like this. It is so easy to stop an assult unless it is a horde to completely overwhelm the field. If you bring 5 or 6 guys to take a field and there is anyone who knows what they are doing, they will stop you.

Bring on the big maps...they are needed. Even if they are buggy, the bugs must be worked out.....OZKANSAS!!!

RHIN0
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2004, 07:23:54 PM »
Eh ... like it really matters what's in the main, anyhow. ;)

Just get the ruttin' new TE up. :aok