Author Topic: Ecke, or other German speakers please help  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
Ecke, or other German speakers please help
« on: July 06, 2004, 03:47:10 PM »
Well, since it seems my Dora skin (Yellow 10) may not get approved, the problem is that I did a D13 and we only have the D9 in the game. So I have decided to try my hand at another 190D. I'm making progress pretty well but will need some help reading the text that was on the side of the plane. It is obviously in German (duh!) but the font is also making it hard for me to decipher. Can one of you native speakers spell it out for me?

Here's an original photo:

And here's a very clear photo of a model:

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 04:12:30 PM »
So far I've come up with "Verlaufts mei Durand
Sfoahr in himmel!"

That translates only the beginning to "It passes", and the end to "in sky".

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 04:24:52 PM »
Personal slogan of Lt Heinz Sachsenberg

Verkaaft's mei Gwand 'I foahr in himmel!

Sell my clothes I'm going to heaven

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 04:34:18 PM »
Found this page, but Wotan beat me to it:

http://home.att.net/~jv44/jv44wurger.htm

Has the sayings on the other Doras of JV44 also.  Too bad Yellow 10 won't be accepted as it was a unique skin.  But having a JV44 Dora would be just as great!  

Aw crap, the Eagle Editions book Doras of the Galland Circus would have been a great reference for you.  Unfortunately it's now out of print!

mauser

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 04:35:58 PM »
You will run it all kinds of problems doing this skin. I tried for long time trying to get it to look right, several others made decent attempts but with the amount of mirroring the underside is impossible to get right.

Offline lucull

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 04:56:22 PM »
Originally posted by Wotan
Personal slogan of Lt Heinz Sachsenberg

Verkaaft's mei Gwand 'I foahr in himmel!

Sell my clothes I'm going to heaven

Small correction: Verkauft's mei Gwand 'I foahr in himmel!

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 06:48:18 PM »
Thanks all!

Wotan, have you officially given up then? I'd hate to keep working on this if you still are. How about those others you mention? I did not see this plane on the sticky of "being worked on" skins.

Anyhow, at this early stage I only have two screenshots. I just snapped them in order to get an idea of where the stripes go for the fuselage. The slogan on the side is REALLY hard to see in-game, i put a dark background around it so I can see it in the first place.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 07:04:49 PM »

Yup, the underside  is impossible to get it  correct.

If you can find the above book its a great addition to any library. Its been out of print for some time though.

My plan was to do all 4 of JV44 Platzschutzstaffel 190s but it wasnt worthe the effort imo. Incidentally My squad in AH was JV44 Platzschutzstaffel (later the Würger-Staffel)

Lucull,

Verkauft's it is, thanks for the correction.

Offline Ecke-109-

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 02:45:19 PM »
And it must be 'Himmel' not himmel.
H and h looks very similar in this old style letters.

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2004, 10:32:30 PM »
I've got a lot to do yet, particularly with the weathering, but I was able to get ALMOST all of the stripes done. It is only the rear part of the fuselage that I cannot "find" in the artwork. Obviously it is there (somewhere) since the red shows up. I've just got to find out where :confused:

Anyhow, thought I'd post one quick pic to show what I've got so far....

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004, 12:26:40 PM »
I'd make this one of my faves to use, even if all the stripes weren't exactly in the right places.   Thanks for your ongoing effort Edbert.

mauser

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2004, 12:42:33 PM »
there's been 3 others made

iirc waffle and bullethead did versions, I did a version and I think one other person did one as well.

Each ended up deciding that with the current mirroring and strechting it was impossible to do right.

It was much easier to select a different scheme. I did the JG2 D9 we have in game. With the variety of D9 schemes to chose from it just seemed more logical to do one I could get right rather then struggle with something that will never be right.

But to each his own...

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2004, 02:01:15 PM »
I see... I wasn't trying to demean your or the other previous attempts at a JV44 Dora Wotan.  All your efforts are appreciated - skins take so much time and effort to do right.  I didn't know there have been so many attempts already - I just started reading this part of the BBS recently.  Personally I most likely would have been satisfied if any of the attempts made were approved - at the same time realizing that none of them could be exactly right due to limitations in the way the skin is "formatted."  That's the hand you're dealt with I guess.  If you had succeeded in doing all four of the staffel's Doras that would have been very high on the coolness meter.  

mauser

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2004, 05:39:24 AM »
Originally posted by mauser
I see... I wasn't trying to demean your or the other previous attempts at a JV44 Dora Wotan.  All your efforts are appreciated - skins take so much time and effort to do right.  I didn't know there have been so many attempts already - I just started reading this part of the BBS recently.  Personally I most likely would have been satisfied if any of the attempts made were approved - at the same time realizing that none of them could be exactly right due to limitations in the way the skin is "formatted."  That's the hand you're dealt with I guess.  If you had succeeded in doing all four of the staffel's Doras that would have been very high on the coolness meter.  

mauser

Hmm, I think you miss-interpreted my post. HTC has hinted upon redoing the way the skins are done and how the texture is wrapped to make skinning easier. Granted the D9 is probably way down on the list.

However, with this in mind it seems to me that for the short term good quality skins can be made by following the path of least resistance rather then forcing something that most likely would be better off waiting to see if the .bmp improves. As I said above there’s are many other schemes to choose from.

I have said as much to those who keep trying with the p38.

But I may be a bit different, I gave up on the A series 190 because the wings are asymmetrical with the left texture map being noticeably off.

The unique feature of the Platzschutzstaffel D9s is the underside and this is where we run into the issues with the mirroring and stretching.

Skins are a lot of work and I would hate to see someone waste their efforts only to be frustrated in the end, especially if there’s a future fix in the works.

Edbert has done fine work and I hope he pulls it off...

Offline BSB

• Zinc Member
Try this web site
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2004, 02:59:56 PM »
Try this website Edbert MOL

http://rafiger.de/Homepage/FBMuseum/Info-JV44/TheDoras.htm

and good luck these planes were going to be my first try at skinning a plane.  Glad to see someone working on them.  
:aok
I've noticed there's one nut that seems to fly a 39 and actually get kills in it. I'm not sure what's wrong with them...

Hazmatt