Author Topic: Galer's Wildcat  (Read 709 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Galer's Wildcat
« on: July 21, 2004, 01:41:03 PM »
I've just uploaded another skin to AH Skins. It is the F4F-3 of Major R. E. Galer, CO of VMF-224 and Congressional Medal of Honour winner. Galer shot down 13 aircraft, including 11 in 29 days over Guadalcanal, and survived the war despite being shot down no less than three times.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Galer's Wildcat
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 06:23:06 PM »
Very nice as always Greebo. Any chance you might want to do a Wildcat from VMF-211 while on Wake Is.?

They were F4F-3's but without the red and white stripes on the rudder, small star with the red dot, and the white under the belly curved up and met at the top of the front cowl.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/ac-usn22/f-types/f4f-k.htm

Scroll down a bit and you can see the cowl of both  the plane in the foreground and the one on the right have the white under color wraps up to the top of the cowl.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Galer's Wildcat
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 07:16:41 PM »
Originally posted by Grits
Very nice as always Greebo. Any chance you might want to do a Wildcat from VMF-211 while on Wake Is.?

Only snag is the wing insignias are on upper left and lower right wings only. The F4F skin mirrors the left and right wings so it isn't possible to achieve this. I was originally going to do a Thach or O'Hare Wildcat but was put off because they had the same problem. Sorry, but if I can't do it right I'd rather not do it.

However I will be making up a template for the F4F in the next week or so. This will have most of the cowl/wing variations for the different Wildcats/Martlets/FM-1s.

After that I'll start on the FM-2.