Author Topic: Question about Gun Control  (Read 413 times)

Offline mosgood

• Silver Member
Question about Gun Control
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2004, 12:02:53 PM »
yikes is right!

This guy had told me that the model gun he had for sale was a good selling item and that he had sold quite a few.

Here's what he said about the phone check.

All he had to do is call a number to the FBI and they call up my info based on my Driver License.  With that info, he is given a "Yes" or "No".  That is it.  he specifically stated that he does NOT have to give them any info on the gun type, serial number.... zip.  There is NO info that ties the buyer to that specific number and I could walk out with it after that phone call comes back with a "yes".

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2004, 12:11:30 PM »
Originally posted by Coolridr
I'm not sure myself what the laws are. Never bought a handgun. Never saw the need for one. A shotgun is much more effective for home protection. Just the sound of pulling the slide back makes most people wet their pants.

Find a friend with hand gun, then coax them into going to the shooting range.  You'll be hooked. :) (That is, if you have a Tim Allen grunting sound within you..;) )

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2004, 12:25:19 PM »
cool... unless your home is one room with no furniture and the lights on all the time...  A shotgun is not as good of a choice as a hnadgun in trained hands.

I see no reason for waiting periods.   There has never been any evidense that they helped prevent crime.   There is no evidence that registering guns has ever helped to solve crimes.

most gun laws that apply to purchase are simple revenue generators or designed to make it more difficult and expensive for people to obtain firearms based on the false premise that the fewer guns in circulation the less crime.. when, in reality the oppossite is true and any delay or infringment simply puts more people in danger.

gun laws are allways made by people who dislike firearms and know nothing about them and ignore the data.

People who know the data and don't have phobias about firearms  see no real reasons for anything but basic regulation.

lazs

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2004, 03:31:32 PM »
I have never had to use my shotgun in a home invasion(but I have pulled it out a few times), but from my online FPS experience clearing buildings and what-not, I will keep the shotgun.

I don't actually have ANY guns right now though; 2 more years until my youngest is old enough to shoot, then I will get some more.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2004, 03:41:04 PM »
liz... in FPS you don't run the barrel into walls or furniture... no body grabs the 2 ft of gun that preceeds you around corners....   when you hit something tho.... it is pretty effective.

lazs

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2004, 03:43:49 PM »
That is one thing you learn in FPS-dont walk around the corner near the corner, do it from the opposing wall.  But I know what you are saying.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2004, 03:47:13 PM »
A nice thing about the Shotgun that shouldn't be overlooked when dealing with a prowler is the sound.  The sound of a shotgun being cocked is a universal sound that means 'Danger!'  It's like the human equivalent of a rattlesnake tail.

If there's a Mossad assassin attacking you, then a handgun is prefereable.  But if you're dealing with Joe Stupid the stereo thief, you can immoblize them without having to clean GSR out of your furniture.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2004, 03:51:00 PM »
A smith new century revolver has one of the smoothest and quietest double actions ever invented.   The one time I used it the bad guy had his back to me.... the sound of that hammer coming back was pretty quiet but to him it sounded like the gates of hell swinging open on rusty hinges.

racking the slide on a 1911 is also a very easily distiguished noise.

lazs

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2004, 03:53:59 PM »
Cover and conceal...

I was on the security alert team on my first ship. When they called a drill, you never knew whether it was real or not, but (and I hate to admit it) they were fun. It's different than an FPS. In an FPS, you're always an intruder or you're not on home ground. There are distinct advantages to being at home... chief among them is that you don't need the lights. :)
sand