Author Topic: Interesting b26 sortie  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Interesting b26 sortie
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2001, 11:23:00 PM »
uh MrRipley if you look text-buffer in that film you can see I got six kills too before I run out of ammo and fuel(base got only 25%) in my P-51D.
If I only would have some rockets or bombs with me....   :p

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
Interesting b26 sortie
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2001, 12:28:00 AM »
Still doesn't change the fact that the B26 killed as much fighters as the rest of the planes together in that area.

A good B-26 pilot can give fighters plenty of hell, I had a six kill sortie in a B-26 last week.
  :cool:

Offline MrRiplEy

• Copper Member
      • http://altavista.net
Interesting b26 sortie
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2001, 03:31:00 AM »
Staga: 6 kills in a P51D is completely ok to me.. That would be possible with luck also in real life. I had no way of telling if you were in that place since the buffer doesnt tell locations.

6 kills in a bomber in middle of hostile fighters is unseen in history as far as I know it. Maybe someone can prove me wrong?
I do have record of a finnish fighter pilot singlehandedly shooting down 6 enemy bombers in 5 minutes above my home city with a 109 G-2. I think the bombers were russian BD-2 medium bombers.

Buff pilots always defend about being alone and that the fighters have to set up a good attack to avoid being shot down by the gunners.

Reversely, buff pilots should set up better attacks and fly in formation and get realistic settings. I guess this goes to the main arena mentality of lone gunning and b26 vs b26 dogfights.. Needless to say I'm for a HA in AH.

I do agree that it takes great skill to get many kills in buffs, I can't do it. WTG bloom25.

Still, I'm wondering why it's necessary to make concessions to the buffs when everyone else is fighting with normal realism (shouldn't the 202 have hispano cannons as nobody will fly it at present state??)

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Interesting b26 sortie
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2001, 08:08:00 PM »
I agree that 7 kills in a bomber seems high.  (My record is actually 18 kills, but 10 were ground targets (bombs on map room and VH) and 5 vulches with the forward guns.)
If you guys watch that film only 2 of the planes I killed actually took the time to set up a non-suicidal attack.  Staga damaged the spit, and the f4u made the mistake of staying on my 6 for too long.  If you noticed I was basically dead when two planes attacked at the same time.  (This is more like real-life IMO.)

I should also mention that in the last 5 tours I probably have 50 kills of bombers to only maybe 3 or 4 deaths.  (I know one tour I was 17 and 0, and that was in p51s and p47s - non cannon aircraft.)  If you set the attack up properly bombers, and the b26 in particular are VERY EASY to kill.

Here's how I do it:

NEVER attack a bomber by coming up on it's 6 level.  If you do that you deserve to get shot up.

On a b26 come in on the front beam and slightly below.  He can't get a single gun on you then.  If you miss, rather than pulling up, go right under him and then try to pop up shooting at underneath the cockpit or a wingroot.  Another easy way to kill a b26 is from directly above them, the top turret only rotates up 45 degrees!  Never HO a b26, they have 5 forward firing MGs, you will die.  ;)

A Lanc is the hardest bomber to kill, they can absorb tons of punishment.  I prefer to approach them from above and in front.  Always aim for the cockpit, rudder, or wingroot.  (MG planes should aim for the cockpit.)  I have a film of me attacking a lanc in an la7 where I landed 50+ cannon hits before the thing finally died.  I was minorly damaged in the attack, and I was parked on his 6 most of the time.

A b17 is the hardest to approach properly.  The best way is to come in from above and head on if possible.  Make sure you are turning slightly to throw his lead off.  On a b17 aiming for the tail is the easiest way to kill them I've found.

A tbm is easy to kill, their guns are practically worthless.  Just don't overshoot and let them shoot at you.  They are pretty nimble for a bomber.

An Il2, though tough, has a glass rudder and elevators.  They also have no way to protect themselves from a low 6 attack.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Interesting b26 sortie
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2001, 09:31:00 PM »
I killed a B-17 with 25 rounds in La-7, lucky burst from 2 o'clock high straight to its cockpit.
Once in a lifetime I guess   :D

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
Interesting b26 sortie
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2001, 12:09:00 AM »
hi all:

the JU-88 has no piveting forward gun, stay out of the pilots crosshairs and the JU-88 is easy to kill from a forward attack.

I have made two good attacks on B-17's that I remember.

the first one was long time ago, I was in a P-38, came up on his six with good alt, I dove down and came in fast on his six. Yes I know, dont attack a buff on its six. well I let my 10 rockets go, one at a time but as fast as I could shoot them, I saw two of them hit and the B-17 went down. I would not recommend this attack to any body, I may have won the fight, but I could have just as easy lost.

The second one I remember was a good attack.
There where three B-17's in a nice tight formation. they where heading for out HQ, our city was already down. I came in about 3 to 4 thousand feet above them. when I was right over top of them I rolled my P-51 over and into a dive. the first B-17 I went after was straight below me. I started to shoot and walked my hits up to the cockpit, the plane exploded as the pilot was killed. as I started pulling out of the dive, I found myself in on the six of one of the other B-17's, I opened up as best as I could, to my surprize, I took his tail section off. He fell from the sky. now there was only one B-17 left, and it was still heading for our HQ's. but I was not as concerned if it made it there. that made me get sloppy. I climbed back up to a few thousand feet above the last B-17. set up over top of him, rolled my P-51 over and into a dive. as I said I got sloppy, I did not line up as good as I did the first one. so as I came screaming down, I had to line up for a shot. well I got the shot away, but slammed into his wing. did enough damage to his wing with my .50 cals to knock it off, and we both went down. he bailed before I did, so I got the credit for the kill before slamming into the ground.

well that was the only time I got three buffs in one sortie. and saved our HQ as well, they did not return.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Interesting b26 sortie
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2001, 10:02:00 AM »
I haven't seen the film yet, but I think it's safe to say if the 6 he killed in the air had set attacks instead of coming straight 6, bloom woulda been in trouble.  Also, if he had been attacked by more than 1 or 2 at a time, he would have been in serious trouble.  Good job by bloom, bad job by the fighters.  

Tho personally, I'm too impatient on buff attacks!   ;)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.