Author Topic: Salute to Knight Target Drones Errr BUFF Attackers!  (Read 1275 times)

funked

Salute to Knight Target Drones Errr BUFF Attackers!
« on: March 30, 2000, 11:54:00 AM »
I was flying a B-17 in particularly stupid manner last night and some Knights had fun blasting me repeatedly.  I shot a couple of them down too.  <S> to all of you, it was a hoot.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2000, 12:02:00 PM »
Ya Funk, was lots of fun.  I took the F4C cannon hog up for the second time, and I was shocked at how much more effective its guns are than anything else I've flown.  The times I got hits on you (other than the 40 .50 strikes when I was in the -51), I'd say you blew up with only 6-8 flashes from hits.  No wonder guys love that ugly blue turkey so much, its guns last forever and they hit like a Mac truck.

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2000, 02:53:00 PM »

Originally posted by Gman:
Ya Funk, was lots of fun.  I took the F4C cannon hog up for the second time, and I was shocked at how much more effective its guns are than anything else I've flown.  The times I got hits on you (other than the 40 .50 strikes when I was in the -51), I'd say you blew up with only 6-8 flashes from hits.  No wonder guys love that ugly blue turkey so much, its guns last forever and they hit like a Mac truck.

Now you see why the game is starting to turn into a HogC Quakfest.  

Gman, didn't I kill you in that pony lastnight?  You drilled my B26 with tons of of bullets from your .50's and the only damage I took was my right gear.  If you had hit me with my one or two HogC shells I would have blown up.
You were blasting away at me with your nerf guns and I was blasting back at you with my nerf guns.  I even laughed when we were blasting each other because it seemed neither of us were doing anything but running out of bullets!  It was almost comical!!  
FYI you did run me completely out of tail gunner ammo.  

Heckel ending up getting me after I ran outta nerf bullets and he got close enough to fire the 30mm.

Salute to you both it was a fun fight.

Mox
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2000, 03:11:00 PM »
Ya that was me  .

I did the same thing to Funked with the .50's....I swear I saw over 40 flashes, and I'll I did was wound his pilot.  He of course shot me down, just as you did.

In the HogC, I shot down 3 bombers in one flight and had over 200/200 rounds left.  Got Funk from 10 oclock at about 400 MPH, and I raked him good, so no surprise there, but the 2nd time I swept in across his 3-9 line and made about a 50 degree deflection shot...4 flashes, and he folded up like a sheet of paper.  That even had me saying "wtf" is up with these guns, and I'm not familiar with the situation/problem regarding them at all.

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2000, 04:16:00 PM »
Gman,  I think I might have got that fight on film, I'll check when I get home.

I have no doubt at all, you were hitting me and hitting me good, I heard lots of pings.

When we were shooting our nerf .50's at each other I couldn't even see your plane for all the tracers and hit sprites yet neither of use was taking much damage.  

I shot most of my tail gunner ammo at you and I saw around 30 hit sprites on you.  I had a fight before you got to me but I must have shot about 600 rounds at you!  

Do a little more testing on your own but I'm sure you'll find that the .50's are nerfed and something major is wrong with the HogC's guns.  Try to kill a buff with any other plane using cannons and you'll see the HogC's are WAY different.

See ya up there!

Mox
The Wrecking Crew

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2000, 04:31:00 PM »
Yeah, I was there too.  (I think I shot you a few times myself Funked.   )  I tried attacking a bomber with a la5 last night when all this was going on.  It was a low-level attack on a b26.  (I thought it might be funked, but it ended up being jaybird.)  Anyway, I landed around 30 hits from around 500 yds away and fully expecting the b26 to be destroyed, I disengaged. When I looked behind me the b26 was still flying along, no smoke or anything.  So I came back and hit it again at 200 yds with another 30+ pings and finally it blew up.  I would have thought that La5 20mm was more powerful than this???  It took 200 rds, with almost all of it hitting the target, to take the b26 down.  I'd hate to try it with 50 cal!  It would be basically a training exercise in gunnery.  

bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2000, 05:03:00 PM »
Gawd I hate this....

I can kill buffs with my 'nerf' .50's; but dammit yah gotta be DEAD on target; and concentrate your fire on a single part of the buff. My two favorite targets; the tail and the wing outboard or the engines. (in that order)

If in a decending fast pass; go for his tail... particularly the horizontal stab. Make sure you are not 'hosing' the whole buff.. just concentrate your fire on the tail. What you will do is 'overwhelm' the damage register for this part of the buff and it comes off... like surgery.  

If in a climbing attack; go for an outer wing panel. Concentrate the fire on JUST the wing panel. *POP*.. Off it comes....

The hard part... avoiding the buffs return fire while hitting him accuratly. I've had plenty of attacks go sour; with the nose bobbing a bit. Hit sprites ALL OVER the buff; but no apparent damage effects. I would guess the buff is pretty tough; with multiple strikes in the same damage grid to have significant effect. The fuselage seems to be very very tuff.. so I go for the wings and/or tail.

When I'm flying (and gunning from) a buff I try the same thing... I concentrate my fire on the fighters wing. Sometimes; it works. In addition; I fly the B26 like a massive fighter... and most of my kills in it are from those fixed forward firing .50's gunned from the pilots chair. I've had some luck (tho not much) gunnin from the tail, but this seems very ineffective unless you can rudder over some so the top ball or waist joins in. Don't let the fighter sit square on your low six... all you can point at him then is the absurdly weak tail gun. Tromp on them pedals and fox his shot while you bring more turrents into play.

Another note... watch the fire convergence zones in a buff... they do not converge! There seems to be a built in scatter to the train of fire from a buff.. a kinda 'cone of fire' where some pings are landed but never a concentrated stream of fire on the point aimed at. Maybe THIS is why the buffs guns seem so damn feeble.

I ain't saying this is 'right'... it's just what seems to be effective in regards to the way they are used.

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2000, 05:04:00 PM »
i was there too, funked killed me in my little spit, he was b17.    (

next time will be my turn

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2000, 05:13:00 PM »
3 times funked!

High slashing attack from 3 to 9, died
High aspect 12 attack (lite him up like a christmas tree, ) Died.

Low 12 attack with lots of E (zoomed right up to him from below) died.

He had the magick guns last night, but our turn will come!

------------------
Maj Ghosth
XO 332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2000, 05:28:00 PM »

Originally posted by Hangtime:
Gawd I hate this....

Hang, I have a few very simple questions for you.  You've spent more time in a Pony than most people and I'd like your honest answers...

Do you feel your guns on the Pony have been altered/changed in ANY way since beta?

Do you feel the .50's on the bombers have been altered/changed in ANY way since beta?

Do you feel the cannon's in the HogC are different in ANY way from the other cannon's in the game?

Hang, this is not a flame in anyway, I'm looking for some opinions from some of the players out there that use .50's in a world thats full of HogC's.  A simple yes or no would suffice but feel free to elaborate.

Mox
The Wrecking Crew

funked

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2000, 05:41:00 PM »
Bloom I bet there was some kind of netlag thingy.  30 hits should have wasted him, but maybe it took too long for the host to receive the info and update your computer.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2000, 05:59:00 PM »
I have an idea.  The cannons on the Spitfire IX should be the same as the cannons on the F4U-1C, except half as many of them.  If a Spit IX only using its cannons and a Hog 1C using only two of its cannons attack a target, are the results the same?  If not, what is the difference and why?  I suspect that the results will be the same and that non-Hispanos are under modeled or the Hispanos are overmodeled.  Or I could be way off base, but you never know until you try/ask.

Sisu
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2000, 06:25:00 PM »
Mox... I'm the poster boy and persona non grata at HTC in regards to the .50's modeling. Yes; I think they are not correct. Yes; I think they are undermodeled. Across all platforms.

As for the F4U's Cannons... I consider that AC to be the most damn dangerous AC in the sim.. not because it's a Hawg... but because if he hits me even once or twice; I'm dead as moses. I guess this means I fear the F4u1C.   I don't consider anyone a 'dweeb' for flying it or any other plane... it's there; it should be used. I just don't happen to like flying it. Or 109's, or FW's or anything else. I'm a pony boy.  

If there is something 'wrong' with it or them; I cannot say. I have nowhere near enuff time in the other plane types to say if they are overmodeled or not. As I say.. the F4u1C is one deadly mutha, the most dangerous plane here and I do my damndest to avoid gettin into the kill zone of one. I suggest everybody else does the same.  

Hang
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Sorrow[S=A]

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2000, 08:46:00 PM »
Bloom: An La-5FN should take down a bomber in 10-20 hits or less if they are concentrated. Here is a demo showing this:
 http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/sorrow/film1.zip

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2000, 09:24:00 AM »

Originally posted by Hangtime:
Mox... I'm the poster boy and persona non grata at HTC in regards to the .50's modeling. Yes; I think they are not correct. Yes; I think they are undermodeled. Across all platforms.

As for the F4U's Cannons... I consider that AC to be the most damn dangerous AC in the sim.. not because it's a Hawg... but because if he hits me even once or twice; I'm dead as moses. I guess this means I fear the F4u1C.   I don't consider anyone a 'dweeb' for flying it or any other plane... it's there; it should be used. I just don't happen to like flying it. Or 109's, or FW's or anything else. I'm a pony boy.  

If there is something 'wrong' with it or them; I cannot say. I have nowhere near enuff time in the other plane types to say if they are overmodeled or not. As I say.. the F4u1C is one deadly mutha, the most dangerous plane here and I do my damndest to avoid gettin into the kill zone of one. I suggest everybody else does the same.  

Hang

Thanks for the comments Hangtime.  You pretty much summed up how I feel about the HogC.

It's BIG, it's blue, it's ugly, but most of all it's a "One ping wonder"!

I completely agree with you about the .50's in ALL planes.

Mox
The Wrecking Crew