Author Topic: AH Film Viewer Questions  (Read 299 times)

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
AH Film Viewer Questions
« on: July 15, 2004, 12:50:26 PM »
With people posting some cool AH movies lately I wanted to toss a couple of questions for some discussion on the AH film viewer, particularly the view functions in conjunction with the capture functions.

I typically like to view my films in fixed view which allows me to pan around the scene to focus the view on the action I'm interested in.  I have found that in trying to capture this view in the film viewer, the replay of the captured view doesn't pan to the same positions that I was panning to during the playback & capture of the film.  Does anyone know if this is just the way it works with fixed views or if there is something else to do to make sure the captured views are synchronized with the manually panned views in the fixed view setting?

2ndly if you've captured new views in a film and are coverting the film to an AVI file, I've noticed that the film being converted isn't playing the same views that I've re-captured.  Anyone find a way around this or am I just having a case of user error here :)??

I'm sure there are probably nuances to all this so curious as to what other people have found and lessons they've learned with the film viewer.

Thanks!

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
AH Film Viewer Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 01:06:12 PM »
I'm going to start messing around with it but there is a button for 'Ignore Recorded Views' or something to that effect. I also know from my limited experience with AH1 films it didn't really seem to work 100% of the time. I never figured out if it was operator error or what.
I can see this 'response' was in fact a non-response and didn't shed any light on the subject :(
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline o0Stream140o

• Silver Member
AH Film Viewer Questions
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 07:13:17 PM »
With the AH1 film viewer you had to fight the views... it's basicly the same with AHll.  When I started making these movies, I don't remember having any trouble with the viewer with the views, but now I do it a different way that doesn't incorporate the film viewer...  After making some with the viewer, I found a screen capturing program that makes it a lot easier to deal with... the only problem is that it eats up memory like a bat out of heck...

They took the way I used to do it away... in the game film button... so I am taking some time off from making them in here till they fix the viewer...

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
AH Film Viewer Questions
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 08:18:09 PM »
Hehe fuze you're giving yourself too little credit!  I think you added to the discussion- at the minimum the film viewer films are non-intuitive!

It seems to be OK when I'm in chase mode and it will record that view.  I wonder if it's just the panning that's a little quirky whether you're in fixed or external views.  I'll have to try it out.

stream14 - what s/w capture program are you using?

Tango, XO
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline o0Stream140o

• Silver Member
AH Film Viewer Questions
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 11:36:06 PM »
Originally posted by dtango
stream14 - what s/w capture program are you using?

Tango, XO

Fraps 2.2 http://www.fraps.com

Then you can use Virtual Dub to compress it to what codec you want.... and frame rate.

Although I am still using movie maker... yuck.. I plan on getting Sony Vegas 5.0 very shortly.. Hopefully that will give me a couple of extra bells and whistles to use when I make them...

If you want to see mine tango... it's not as flashy as GScholz but for what I have it's the best I could do...

http://www.colstream.neptune.com