Author Topic: The Gunfighter Test Phase...  (Read 2641 times)

Offline glenmorangie

• Copper Member
The Gunfighter Test Phase...
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2004, 10:44:07 PM »
Cobra,

The WWII green paint could be gloss or semi-gloss.  US paint was dull, but other countries used semi-gloss.  Russian and German paint are both semi-gloss to varying degrees.

I looked all over for a paint chip of the yellow, but I can't seem to find one.  I've got German and USN but no USAAF or British.  The pictures I looked at vary from almost orange to about the color you've got.  Photographic prints are notoriously unreliable when it comes to the actual color. Sometimes "just about right" is as close as you're going to get.  Paint varies by batch and age, anyway. For my taste, the yellow in the WWI picture is a but light, the yellow in Gunfighter is a bit orange. Somewhere close in-between should do.

I'd use the same approach on the green... "looks about right" will be good enough.

The picture I used is from about 1995 or so. The Little Guy, the canopy rail and the pony have been repainted on the current incarnation.  I like the older nose art and the newer pony.  How much email space do you have?  I'd be happy to send you my "modeller's" walk-around, it's about 50 shots or so.  If I remember, it's the newer version, but I can dig out the older one pretty easily sometime this weekend.  I need to find the canopy rail shots, too.  Older version, in script, "Col. Regis F.A. Urschler, C.A.F" on the left rail; newer version "Brig. Gen. Regis Urschler, U.S.A.F, (Ret)" on the left; "Col. Larry Lumpkin, C.A.F." on the right.  I’ll find close-ups and scan them, but it may take a day or two, probably until Sunday.

The Kills are standard balkankreuz.  They are not on the current paint job. They are black, white, black style.  The Gunfighter writing is outlined, it’s just not obvious in this shot.

Here’s a template and a scan of the stencils.  The stencil you see on the left side of Gunfighter is the standard P-51 data plate.

If these are not sharp enough, let me know and I’ll try again.  You’ll need to make a white outline/background for the crosses.

Keep up the good work,

Offline glenmorangie

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2004, 10:46:55 PM »
Cobra,

Those stencils are terrible, I'll get you some better ones asap.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2004, 11:16:05 PM »
Glen I really appreciate your extra efforts.  I have about 10 mb or so of email space for just one of my 2 accounts.  I believe both can do about 20mb or so.  As far as better stencils these are just fine.  They are extremely valuable just as they are.  Placement charts such as this and just what they read are awesome.  I can redo each one through Photo Shop.  It's more just knowing what needs to go where and the general font type for that area.

I'll even re make a high res version of the props logo.  Getting a modelers walkaround group of photos would be awesome too.  Whenever you get the time to get some stuff it'd be great.  No hurry here.  Your going way out of the way to help me out.  Thanks again for your assistance.

Offline glenmorangie

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2004, 06:18:25 AM »
The only thing I need is your email.  If I remember, the photos are about 5mb.

As far as the stencils are concerned, It's a heck of a lot easier to rescan a better set than it is to spend hours cleaning them up with photoshop, even if most of them may not be legible at 1024x1024.

I'm glad to help.  The easier we make for each other, the more skins we get... :)

I was planning to do Gunfighter, but my Yaks are taking longer than I figured, and you've done a great job.

I'm looking forward to flying it!

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2004, 01:38:34 PM »
Hey Cobra, does my Avatar for the Gunfighters Squad look familiar to you? :D

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2004, 01:51:03 PM »
Glen some I'm taking and adjusting them with Photo Shop and others I'm completely redoing.  They really don't take that long to take care of.  I'll send you a private message with my info. I'm at my parents right now so I won't be able to see if I got them til Sunday.