Author Topic: Texture Preload Choice - Please Help  (Read 232 times)

Offline Darkish

• Nickel Member
Texture Preload Choice - Please Help
« on: July 18, 2004, 12:33:48 AM »
Is it best to have the textures preloaded to Vid Card, System or both?

I fess up that my entire PC knowledge has derived from game tweaking, playing etc, and this is a new one for me.  On gut insinct I would say the Vid Card (GPU has instant access) but then I'm willing to bet that my DDR3200 system memory is faster than the RAM onboard my FX5200 (256MB).  However tying up the system memory pushes it close to 512MB limit - see, I'm confused.

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 03:52:38 AM »
You can't have both.

Video memory is better but you'd need to have enough memory to use it. From the messages on the board so far, not many people do (or many of us would rather have the fancy pictures rather than sacrifice the quality to fit it into the vid memory)

System memory is the best (only) choice for us. Even that is a bit cranky in that some of us need to start the game offline, the textures load then sign on to the online game.

I'm sure things will get changed soon so we get the texture load in a better place (ideally, right at the title screen).
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Darkish

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 07:08:51 AM »
For me, at the 512 texture size, both system and card options can be ticked.  Individually and together.

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 09:26:48 AM »
Video would be the better choice then.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."