Author Topic: Carrier stacking fps killing theory  (Read 409 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Carrier stacking fps killing theory
« on: July 21, 2004, 07:19:53 PM »
Most saw it over the course of this setup. Multiple fleets within visual = fps degradation.

Here's the theory:

Previously .... in "old" AH .... fleets were "one object per ship." A fleet of eight ships equaled eight objects to deal with. The biggest problem then was ship ack .... which happened to produce several more objects to have to deal with. Without the ack, a fleet was much easier on the ol vid card than a shore base was.

NOW fleets are "multiple objects per ship." A fleet of eight ships may be 80 objects (rough estimate). It may be as much a chore (or more) for vidcards to handle a single fleet as it is to handle a large shore installation. Figure in a couple more fleets and it's like stacking bases. Figure in a nearby base and the ack and ... whoa.

I submit that, under the current physical limitations of the game and how it affects the vast majority of players, that fleet stacking should be considered as disruptive to CT play as porking neutral fields and that we add a warning to avoid such in the motd.

*ShruG* :D

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 08:14:44 PM »
I second it
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 08:43:35 PM »
Originally posted by TheBug
I second it

Move the question.

- oldman

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 10:37:59 PM »
i figured this out when i first played on a cv.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 10:49:52 PM »
Makes sense to my low-tech mind, and I would think that as more fleet goodies are added the video card demands will only increase.

But ... sure like the goodies, and want more of 'em, e.g., manned DE main batteries and torpedos.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 11:04:56 PM »
Interesting theory at the least, which reminds me, I better go check and see if people haven't managed to sail those fleets I moved back into the game....
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 01:18:46 AM »
Ain't seen nary a soul in the CT this eve.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 10:27:34 AM »
Arlo - take a look at the below screenshot - what are your settings here?

Also, try some of these tips:
- In the Graphic detail panel, click Setup>Video>Graphic detail, there are three sliders to improve performance:
  * Level of detail and Displayed Object Size can be adjusted to improve game graphic quality or adjusted to improve FPS.
  * Ground Detail Range is the distance to which objects come into video in full detail.
   * Reducing the range will improve performance at a cost of when distance ground objects appear.

Go to the CV in tower view and open up the panel.  Take a look at your FPS (ALT I or P?)  Move the sliders all the way to the right (performance) and record the MAX FPS you get. Move all to the left and note your FPS- that's the min FPS .   Your ideal should be 10-20 lower from the max.

Move all sliders back to the right.  Start with your range and move it to the left until it starts to drastically effect FPS.  Find the sweet spot and move it to the right a few mm.  Next, move the ground detail range slider to the left, find the spot where it hits fps, and move it back a few mm. Finally, move the level of detail slider. Again, sweet spot it.  You should have a workable fps 10-15 from the maximum - any more and when you encounter a busy section, your video card will struggle keeping up with the action.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 05:38:46 PM »
Fork .... not my settings, bro. Had `em tweaked the moment the tweaks were discovered and have been helping others with that for awhile now. Stacking fleets in AHII is a bad thing .... plain and simple. Way too many objects in way too small an area. Even players with twice the hardware horsepower than I have were in a slideshow. Players on the other side taking off were no better off. The player sitting in the ship gun and telling everyone to upgrade their hardware was amusing.