Author Topic: F4U Ammo Load  (Read 380 times)

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
F4U Ammo Load
« on: July 21, 2004, 02:48:33 PM »
Really this applies to the F6F as well but anyway..

The F4U needs a 1200Round ammo loadout. Lugging 2400 rounds of .50 cal around is just to much especially when trying to do fleet CAP with incoming bombers.

2400 rounds weights over 700lbs (More weight than the entire 109 fuel load) and is a large handycap when it comes to climbout.

Also 1200 rounds is the historic interceptor load out. No points for dying with all your bullets.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
F4U Ammo Load
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 05:25:38 PM »
I agree with this one.  I wish there were more options for selecting Ammo load out.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
F4U Ammo Load
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 12:48:50 AM »
got my vote!:)
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
F4U Ammo Load
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 01:33:47 PM »
MY vote
known as Arctic in the main

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
F4U Ammo Load
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 02:04:30 PM »
You... DO realize, don't you?... that that's only 200 rounds per gun... Why would anybody fly with such a loadout? The F4u excells because of its punch. It has the power to smack a plane down in a good sustained burst. Take that away and most f4u pilots will be RTB and sitting ducks in no time.

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
F4U Ammo Load
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 02:45:38 PM »
Krusty,

The problem is when you need to defend the CV against high suicide Jabo's (P-38's, P-47's etc) you need to intercept quickly.

Unless you plan on pulling out the perk F4U-4 you will be a while.

50% fuel and ammo gets you up there nicely in a F6F or F4U-1D.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
F4U Ammo Load
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 02:51:53 PM »
Also, you retain the same punch as any other config, just less trigger time.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
F4U Ammo Load
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 04:28:30 PM »
Personally, I'm inclined to say "Well, if the corsair doesn't climb like you want, fly something that will".

In regards to this post, I think you'd have to 1) Prove that this was not only used, but common, 2) show cause (show that there is interest) for this change, and 3) sell HTC on it.

Personally, I'm against it. Why? Why reduce ammo for the sake of reducing ammo? Unless we all get detailed ammo selection, where we can move sliders for all our ammo needs, I'd say why do it only on select planes? Why give them an edge already?

But then again, that's just me.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
F4U Ammo Load
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 05:34:22 PM »
Krusty,

Both the P-38L and all P-47s have options for lighter ammo loads.  The Mosquito and N1K2-J have options for overload ammo.

I see no reason why the F4Us and F6F should not have this option if it was a historical loadout.  I don't think it really matters how often it was actually used so long as it was used.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
F4U Ammo Load
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 07:01:16 PM »
If you want to nit pick, P-51D probably shouldn't have rockets available--or at least should have to use the bazooka tubes.    The stub launchers weren't available at all until the D-25 model (almost the last version of P-51D and certainly not the most widespread in wartime service), were almost always removed on the few planes which DID have them, and when equipped reduced airspeed which they don't in AH (P-51D that fires its rockets performs the same as one that never had them loaded)

Seriously, look up pictures of P-51D's in wartime service.....it's actually hard to find pics of ones that had the rocket launcher rails.

Maye they were common in Korea.....I dunno.

J_A_B

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
F4U Ammo Load
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2004, 09:18:57 AM »
Personally, I'm inclined to say "Well, if the corsair doesn't climb like you want, fly something that will".

Its a carrier. The only think that climbs measurable better is the F4U-4.

In regards to this post, I think you'd have to 1) Prove that this was not only used, but common, 2) show cause (show that there is interest) for this change, and 3) sell HTC on it.

1. Histically Carriers srcambled A/C all the time. Besides an actual carrier fleet would always have a CAP. In AH you have to provide one yourself and usually at the last second.

2. I have documents showing the "Intercepter" loadout of 1200 rounds.

Reducing ammo for the sake of reducing ammo? That statement makes no sense. There is a historic president, there is cause in the game and there is a historic reference for the ammo amount.

Offline GODO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s/fw190.htm
F4U Ammo Load
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2004, 10:08:27 AM »
Selecting desired ammo loads should be an option for every weapon of every plane/vehicle.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
F4U Ammo Load
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2004, 10:33:23 AM »
You... DO realize, don't you?... that that's only 200 rounds per gun... Why would anybody fly with such a loadout? The F4u excells because of its punch. It has the power to smack a plane down in a good sustained burst. Take that away and most f4u pilots will be RTB and sitting ducks in no time.
OK krusty so it's something you don't understand and wouldn't use, so what.  Others do and would, why would you come out against it and want to limit  the choices we have.  I fly a spit  and that has 220 or so rounds of cannon.  110 or so rounds per gun.  Your point is?  And forget about the 303s.  It takes almost 800 hits to do damage with those things.  I would love to leave the 303s out all together but thats a different thread.

Bottom line is if you are going to have different load outs we should be able to select the bullet count.  What was the minimum each plane could load?  We should be able to add rounds in increments of that if at all.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 10:36:13 AM by mars01 »