Author Topic: Radar in Scenarios  (Read 327 times)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Radar in Scenarios
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2000, 07:19:00 PM »
I don't really have a prob with the d3.0 icons in scenarios. Its the dar that really hurts some of the fun in my opinion...

funked

Radar in Scenarios
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2000, 07:20:00 PM »
I'm not sure it was so easy to ID planes in real life.  Anybody know why early USAAF aircraft in the ETO had white stripes, or why all Typhoons had black and white underwing stripes two years before D-Day?

theNine

Radar in Scenarios
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2000, 07:27:00 PM »
I understand that during WW2 aircraft identification was extremely difficult and often misidentifications were made.  Could we somehow have a compromise and turn on icons at a distance that is historically accurate.  I don't know what that distance might be, but if a WW2 pilot could positive ID a contact at say 1500 yds, our icons should also activate at that distance.

I am not sure it is presently possible, however it would be even more interesting to have to be closer to aircraft that were more difficult to ID than others, like telling the difference between 190's and early 47's, before an icon popped up.  Or have bomber's icons pop up sooner, since they would be more visible and easier to identify.

theNine

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Radar in Scenarios
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2000, 09:16:00 PM »
being a ju88 pilot in the med league there's np doudt that having all dar off will aid in our remaining undetected however we may fly head long into the enemy making strategic and tactical considerations a little more interesting. plus we don't have the defensive fire that 17 and 26 have so its that much more important to us that we remain undetected.

Offline indian

• Copper Member
Radar in Scenarios
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2000, 12:04:00 AM »
Radar was around back then but only gave location not altitude and they could compute the speed. I would like to have HQ send out message of nme in sector such and such. Or give us the radar equiped planes that did see combat.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
Indians Home page were links to help pages can be found.
Indian's Homepage

Offline Suave1

• Zinc Member
Radar in Scenarios
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2000, 08:16:00 AM »

Originally posted by SC-GreyBeard:
as it is I can't tell the differance between a fw190 and a p47 at 1500 yds.... I usually don't get that good a detail untill around 1000 yds or less

Just like real life . Why should you be able to identify plane type and country markings from over a kilometer away with the naked eye . We're all used to flying with bionic eyes I guess . I've been practicing with icons off alot lately and any fighter beyond 1k is just an undiscernable dot to me. At 1k my computer chirps and the dot becomes a shape . I too am hardware challanged, I get 16 fps in the tower. Yet I find fighting icons off refreshing as Irish Spring after dirty sex .

[This message has been edited by Suave1 (edited 10-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Suave1 (edited 10-14-2000).]

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Radar in Scenarios
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2000, 09:03:00 PM »
I didn't realize that the radar situation  was explained on the events website. I just read that the sector bars would be employed. I sure hope they change their minds on that.