Author Topic: Outnumbered by Rooks...again  (Read 4998 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Outnumbered by Rooks...again
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2004, 01:19:09 AM »
Zazen, just to clarify I wasn't singling out Sunday nights. We all know it's Rook squad night. This is becoming a 7 day a week thing. If I was just interested in being on the winning side I'd switch countries. I'd be interested in seeing the membership breakdown by country to see if it is really as bad as it seems.

Balance is what keeps the game interesting. Otherwise, it's just a daily ritual of being kicked in the nuts for $15 a month.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2004, 01:27:56 AM »
Originally posted by rpm371
Zazen, just to clarify I wasn't singling out Sunday nights. We all know it's Rook squad night. This is becoming a 7 day a week thing. If I was just interested in being on the winning side I'd switch countries. I'd be interested in seeing the membership breakdown by country to see if it is really as bad as it seems.

Balance is what keeps the game interesting. Otherwise, it's just a daily ritual of being kicked in the nuts for $15 a month.

Read my post I was writing as you posted this, it offers an explanation for this.

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2004, 01:43:26 AM »

Originally posted by Zazen13
To make a long story short, demographically speaking, Rooks are older people with careers who are better able to afford the necessary hardware required to run AH2. Your average Bishop 16 year-old flipping burgers at McDonald's for minimum wage simply cannot afford a $499 256MB Radeon 9800 XT. Obviously, this demographic distribution is a gross generalization, but accurate overall.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2004, 01:45:38 AM »
Originally posted by Delirium

I have flown with Bishops, my ears are still ringing from the shrill, pre-pubescent squeels on VOX. As you fairly quoted I am grossly generalizing the demographics, but take it from someone with extensive first-hand knowledge, Bishops have a veritable monopoly on teenie-boppers. ;)

As far as Rooks are concerned, we conducted an informal poll, the average age of a Rook is 46! I am 33 and am one of the younger Rooks! :cool:

Zazen
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 01:47:57 AM by Zazen13 »

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2004, 01:46:48 AM »
It's a good theory, but I can't agree with it. I think the demographics are probably the only thing that is balanced between countries right now. I think the number of 16 year old burger flippers is likely the same. The cost of an nVidia FX5200 is well under $100. It runs the game well and even the pimpliest pubescent can scam that much out of Mom and Dad in no time.

The daypart section has some merit, but you have to balance that out with the overseas Rooks. I'd have to see the actual numbers to know.

Again, this isn't a "flame the Rooks" thread, just a problem with the game I see that is not fixing it's self.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 01:53:45 AM by rpm »
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2004, 01:47:33 AM »
Sometimes the Rooks do have a large advantage. Perhaps hitech has something in mind for this problem, perhaps having new members that sign up go to Bish or Knights and can't change sides for a month?

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2004, 01:49:36 AM »
Originally posted by RTSigma
Sometimes the Rooks do have a large advantage. Perhaps hitech has something in mind for this problem, perhaps having new members that sign up go to Bish or Knights and can't change sides for a month?

Sounds good to me! ;)

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2004, 02:56:53 AM »
For the past few months if the numbers are largely lopsided, I'll switch to the side w/ the least numbers. I'd rather not fight w/ 5 or 6 guys for one carcass(even though I like my chances of being the one to get the kill  )

It's much simpler to find a fight against the hordes.

Rooks at 30k?  No more than anyone else.  I've flown some for all 3 sides the last few tours.. they're all the same.
I made it as high as 12k this month.  It's a nice alt although a bit high... those 25k+ bananas usually won't bother w/ a pony that is so much lower.  They're only gonna get one pass(at best) before I'm outta there and on my way to some fun, low,  stuff.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2004, 03:02:45 AM »
Steve!  Sounds like you're happy again. Can I borrow some of those crying towels you had made? The small maps are killing me. The hording is much worse on those. I've played only 1 hour in the past 3 weeks. Don't think I can wait 3 years for TOD... :(

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2004, 03:03:52 AM »
Sure buddy, they're well broken in.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2004, 06:33:46 AM »
Originally posted by Zazen13

Instead of whining about it, why not do the same things yourselves? Get your bigger squadrons to have their squadnights on the same night (Fri/Sat?)

Zazen

the arguement isnt about the rooks organisation on Sunday nights, its about the 100+ players compaired to knits or bish.

Bish do BJO.........but we never have numbers, and in a way its good, because it would be utterly boring to have so many players

imo my problem with RJO is the small maps.....RJO can reset one (if they do really good) in under 2 hours. Big maps would spread them out more and take longer to end. After all on small maps you only need to take one base and your RIGHT on the other sides HQ........ :rofl :rolleyes:
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2004, 06:57:34 AM »
Originally posted by Overlag
imo my problem with RJO is the small maps.....
Agreed. Which is why I'm surprised you don't like the pizza map. Not only does that spread out the numbers (a good thing IMO) but it provides some high alt fields which get the Lalas out of their comfort zone, and lets lesser used planes like the P47 hold centre stage for a while. Oh, and it stops guys like Mars01 from copping out of a fight between two bases by upping from a third base in a Lala. ;) Hiya Mars! :):cool:

Incidentally, even the pizza map has been known to be reset by a Sunday night RJO.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2004, 07:41:20 AM »
Rooks are older people with careers who are better able to afford the necessary hardware required to run AH2. Your average Bishop 16 year-old flipping burgers at McDonald's for minimum wage simply cannot afford a $499 256MB Radeon 9800 XT. Obviously, this demographic distribution is a gross generalization, but accurate overall.

lol Zazen, I can't help but think that this has some truth behind it.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2004, 08:01:24 AM »
Originally posted by crowMAW
LOL...well, I think tonight we did.  Knits and Bish held an RJO Truce tonight that seemed to work pretty well.  It was not perfect

not very perfect at all! seems some bish and i know its not just the bish tryed back dooring us knit's with two cordinated noe mission to 21 and 20 during the truce! luckily we caught them and destroyed em'

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2004, 08:46:59 AM »
As some have said Sunday just happens to be the night that many Rook squads have as their "squad night." There are a couple of reasons for this"

[list=1]
  • Friday Nights many Rook squads (the big ones) participate in the Friday Squad Ops event over in the SEA.
  • Saturday Nights are not big for many Rooks because wives / girlfriends want to go out and do things (usually on either Friday or Saturday).

I know in my squad and couple other squads I know this tends to be the case. Sunday nights are usually free and clear of wife / girlfriend ack because the next day is a work day. Which is why I think sunday nights have larger numbers overall that other nights.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team