Author Topic: Unusual Death While Crash Landing  (Read 448 times)

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
Unusual Death While Crash Landing
« on: July 18, 2004, 10:00:31 PM »
A couple of times I've crash landed on the runway, and my plane (most recently a P-40B in the CT) seemed to be more or less about to come to a stop when it suddenly whirls around very rapidly and I'm dead.  Gravity gone wild.

MRPLUTO

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 02:46:05 PM »
Lock the tailwheel by pulling back on the stick at least 25%.
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 04:13:22 PM »
kevykev,

I do that taking off, but in this case I was crash landing, and the tail wheel may have been shot off of damaged by that point.  Anyway, the landings I'm talking about needed a lot more help than a locked tail wheel!

What seemed unrealistic is that as I was bouncing and skidding along the ground, the plane would suddenly and violently flip over several times, at a speed that was so fast it was comic.  This would happen after I'd slowed down a bit and seemed to be about to come to a stop.  And then I'd be dead.

I guess I should film ditches off-line.

MRPLUTO

Offline Kwan

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 07:07:17 AM »
Same here....  in a KI61, Kiki, p47, don't know how many more.

Ditching or landing gear up(damaged) goes normally .. then all H*ll breaks loose just when you should be stopping.
Insta death.

Hope it gets fixed ...  I crash land alot  :)

Offline 2shad4u

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 01:38:11 PM »
same here :rolleyes:  was landing pony no gear and another plane it occured to me in, several times in pony will be stopped and just roll over and im in tower......and p38 even with gear it happens to me sometimes, landing it just flips when coming to s top whirling around

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 03:51:53 PM »
The Bf 109E-4 (at least) seems not to be able to ditch gear up, in water or on land.  No matter how slowly you touch it down, the wings rip off on touchdown, and you shortly thereafter die.

I've noticed the wild "slow down almost to a stop then flip around wildly and die" behavior, too.  I forget which plane.

The SpitV seems to ditch just fine, though.  I even slammed into the ground once at the bottom of a loop and lived.  Not sure which patch version of AH2, though.

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 08:49:33 PM »
I get lots a crashes and deaths if the plane turns too sharp landing or taxiing on the runway even at speeds under 20 mph.  The plane crashes, I die and end up in the tower.

Kinda frustrating :(

But not as frustrating as the stutters.  I've tried preloading, I have minimal settings and it still stutters.