Author Topic: AI 88's  (Read 526 times)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
AI 88's
« on: July 27, 2004, 12:44:18 PM »
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
AI 88's
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 01:03:29 PM »
No plans on changing it.

HiTech

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
AI 88's
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 01:43:18 PM »
:(

I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline RTSigma

• Silver Member
AI 88's
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 01:56:58 PM »
Reminds me of that song, "You're as cold as ice!"

Its not like the 88's do anything, I have yet to be killed by them and I fly slow and low enough to hit on their sisters.

Sigma of VF-17 JOLLY ROGERS

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
AI 88's
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 05:50:11 PM »
Just spoke to my friends dad (he was a AA gunner in WWII).   I asked him about the flak guns. He talked a bit about the German 88's he came into contact with after D-Day.

Wally said that the range limit for most 88 German Flak guns was pretty effective up to around 20000ft but it's range was 35000ft or 6 1/2 miles, and could fire 100 shells a minute.  The higher the aircraft, the harder it was to hit.  He also mentioned that a lot of AAA/88 guns were also used in ANTI-TANK roles.

Side notes:
- Gen. LeMay calculated, based on some practical testing using US AAA, that it would take 372 88mm or equivalent shells to down one bomber.
- General der Flakartillerie a. D. von Renz estimated that in actuality it required 4,000 88mm shells to down one bomber.
- Allied AAA had proximity fuzes while German AAA had none.
- It took the 88mm shell apprx. 20 seconds to reach its maximum effective altitude of 20,000 ft: the fuze delay was set at 20 seconds.
- prior to allied radar AAA, a mechanical computer, the Kerrison Predictor, was used in most AAA air defences during the later part of WWII where a single operator could command an battery of AAA guns.
Good reference site is : http://www.ww2guide.com/flak.shtml
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
AI 88's
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 10:34:22 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
No plans on changing it.

HiTech

Can you give a little input on what ways you can avoid it? Other than dont fly in it?? Cause thats pretty much 66% of any map most times.. Are there different odds of it hitting you at 5k compared to 10k compared to 20k?? At what point is it for certain to hit you?? What are the rules that govern it hitting you?? What are the rules that govern if it kills you or not?? Obviously turning will not keep it from hitting you.. How bout flying slow or climbing?? What makes it shot at one person and not the other?? Does it shoot at the person in the area the longest??

HT, i only ask for the rules so we will know how to compete with it.. Or are you trying to say, 'Dont fly near the enemy base'????
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 10:37:52 AM by TheDudeDVant »

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
AI 88's
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 08:43:23 PM »
Originally posted by TheDudeDVant
Can you give a little input on what ways you can avoid it? Other than dont fly in it?? Cause thats pretty much 66% of any map most times.. Are there different odds of it hitting you at 5k compared to 10k compared to 20k?? At what point is it for certain to hit you?? What are the rules that govern it hitting you?? What are the rules that govern if it kills you or not?? Obviously turning will not keep it from hitting you.. How bout flying slow or climbing?? What makes it shot at one person and not the other?? Does it shoot at the person in the area the longest??

HT, i only ask for the rules so we will know how to compete with it.. Or are you trying to say, 'Dont fly near the enemy base'????

Just an obsevation. But if you move closer to it, it has more trouble hitting you. Like the rounds dont have time to arm so to speak... So there is a Min and a Max range sort of. I dont know exactly what it is. But for example. Like from 6 miles in to 3 miles... Its most deadly..Inside about 3 miles...and outside of those ranges you are ok. Hope this helps.

Offline Jasta

• Copper Member
AI 88's
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 11:46:01 PM »
just experienced this phenomenon on my last flight in the CT.

Im dissapointed to say the least.

First burst of flak nailed me. Nothing like what I see on gun cam films and such.

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
AI 88's
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 08:19:07 AM »
88mm is a bug I tell you.. A BUG!!!!!!!