Author Topic: Realistic Play  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2004, 03:48:33 PM »
Originally posted by memnon
I would love to see the CT be more realistic to the time period but unless there is a set amount of aircraft and time limits before reupping it just will not happen.

I think you hit the nail on the head Mem. My impression is the re-enactment camp wants the CT to be a mini-scenario each seek with limited lives, limited planes quantities and everyone flying around avoiding getting killed. That works for dedicated scenarios, but it wont work for the CT. You think the CT has low numbers now, think about what would happen if you can only have one life per hour? I'd be a ghost town.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2004, 05:03:37 PM »
So you're saying leave the CT the way it is now to support the low numbers we at least have?

BTW, in asking that question don't misinterpret it as support for what you call "the re-enactment camp"
的t's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

storch

Realistic Play
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2004, 05:14:44 PM »
Originally posted by TheBug
So you're saying leave the CT the way it is now to support the low numbers we at least have?

BTW, in asking that question don't misinterpret it as support for what you call "the re-enactment camp"

Friends,  people will participate in the CT when it is FUN for them to do so or if they have a specific need met as we saw last week.  One guy logged on yesterday and was whining about the moron that changed the "practice room" for the BoB scenario.

We saw great numbers last week when I went to the "O" Club and other forums and promoted the CT as good practice for the up coming BoB Event.  Today the two times that I logged on the place was a ghost town.

If the CT isn't fun no one will play.  It will therefore die an ignominious death.

Let's try to make it FUN.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 05:17:12 PM by storch »

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2004, 05:17:24 PM »
Originally posted by storch

Let's try to make it FUN.

Define FUN and how it would differ from the MA, if it does.
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2004, 05:30:19 PM »
Define FUN and how it would differ from the MA, if it does.

Defining "fun" would have to include everyone's idea of fun in AHII or it's a false statement. BUT ... the CT was designed to offer an historical or quasi-historical setting for Ace's High. It was created to offer an alternative to a three-sided, chesspiece, all planes on all sides atmosphere like that in the MA.

At some point there was a group of players that decided it was created to be a refuge from porking, vulching, grabbing, hoing, ganging, ack-running, smack-talking, fleet beaching/parking, cherry-picking, chute shooting or any number of pet peeves that are, ironically, pretty much an integral part of Aces High play (though smack now has a new home).

I'm not saying there aren't times that I get flat out disgusted with what other player's idea of fun is and even voice my disgust/amazement/mystification. But it's their idea of a virtual orgasm and more power to them if it gets them there. I may occasionally act stupid and do it myself. Weeeeeee!

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2004, 06:08:55 PM »

No problem Bug, I'm not as entrenched in the "weed wacker" frame of mind as it might seem on the surface. I love participating in Stream's missions, and the tension of knowing that something is on the line is great fun. As soon as his mission is over however, the motivation to be "real" and stay alive at all costs is gone. To fly that way all week for no other reason than to be able to proclaim oneself as more "real" than others in an overgrown video game is rather pointless for me. If I felt like it, I could easily fly a whole week (or forever for that matter) and not die, but it would be boring. This is not real, its a game.

I am not saying leave the CT as it is, but we shouldnt go too far the other (re-enactment) direction either. I have seen on other forums on this BBS more than one person say they like the idea of the CT but they consider us (the CT regulars) "too serious". I ask the question again, how many people do you think we would have if you had to wait an hour between deaths? A half hour? Hell, even 5 min? Or maybe only 2 planes a night? It would be the death of the CT.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2004, 06:09:40 PM »
So trying to cater the arena to everybodie's idea of fun would be an impossible task, and it should stick to it original intended design of  " set up for historical gameplay.  There is a two sided war, a limited plane set, and reduced radar. "

But allowing people to separately achieve their "orgasm" by running missions, tracking stats and posting them, or whatever pushes their realism button, would be ok.

Maybe then throwing in a couple twists to the "base mixture" to please all the "camps".   One setup reduce radar down to just flashing bases, another set-up have historical planeset on a tight map to induce furballing, maybe focus on one historical action based on a single unit and the planes it used(possibly one of the current CT squads) and yes of course put the F4u in :), etc...

All this can be done as long as everyone was flexible and the original design of the CT is not altered, imo.  But it doesn't answer the tough question of how to get more players into the CT.  They seem to find their way into it when they need it(BoB practice for example or if the MA is down).  

I have some things I'd be willing to try to answer/help this problem.
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2004, 06:13:34 PM »
Originally posted by Grits

I am not saying leave the CT as it is, but we shouldnt go too far the other (re-enactment) direction either.  

I agree completely, limited lives would be totally out of the question.  But you do agree something needs to change for the CT to grow in numbers, correct? *edit* and not necessarily within the arena or the setup itself.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 06:19:54 PM by TheBug »
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2004, 06:18:50 PM »
guys guys guys, the bottom line is that the CT is about the same as the HA was in WARBIRDS and the numbers that particapate are about the same. I have seen a thousand changes in settings, maps and plane sets in the past six years of playing these two flight sims. I see the same complaints as well. Nothing is going to change. HA in warbirds is gone but it was not the arena, it was the overall game that died. I know of at least five CT players that played Warbirds. We normaly max out at about 30 for squad nights and 10-15 any other night. These numbers have been steady in both Warbirds and Aces High. Most that fly are history buffs or guys that just take a liking to what the CT is compared to the MA.

What will kill the arena more than anything is the way WE yank each others chains. This is NOT good and WE ALL need to stop. Stop using the computer screen as a shield so you can poke out your chest! You wouldnt do it in real life so dont do it here. I gotta stop doing this myself.

The numbers in the CT are the same now as were when Brady was here. (Nothing aginst Brady at all) But he would post, people woudl complain. Players still played.
Brady left, I guess, and the heat is still on. Every ST Staff member that post on here gets yelled at about something. If your not happy, which most arn't in some way fasion or form, and you decide to leave the CT, someone else will take your place.

THE WORLD WILL KEEP RIGHT ON A SPINING!
The CT wont get saved with TheBug or anyone else getting elected. All that will do is make someone else unhappy.

The CT is empty most of the time untill two nights of the week. Tuesday and thursday nights. Sometimes on friday nights for the new map set. This is one reason why I have asked the CT staff members in charge to reset the maps for the squads to "re-enact" what the "Theme" of the weeks map represents. But even then, some call what I just said "silly". If it is silly, the remove the themes. Do not anounce the new maps or planes sets. Just do it.

I went back and looked at the very first post for the CT. There wasnt much information there but once within a few post therein, Pyro (I think it was) ASKED.....ASKED.......ASKED the players what they wanted. Either way, by being asked or just posting, not every one will be happy. However, keep the arena for what it is i.e. Combat, Historical, Special etc. If the allies didnt capture bases in the Theme, then disable capture. If you want captures always enable...per Brady's thinking, then remove the "themes". Personaly I like the "Themes" and is why I post so hard about it.

Lets "re-enact" or not, but if not then remove the ADVERTISEMENTS!

Sorry Grits, thats the way I feel and thats my $.02
BTW If I am correct, Pyro/Skuzzy or one of these guys created WARBIRDS. He is the one that created the Historic Arena in warbirds. I am not 100% sure but I would have to think that the Comabt Arena in Aces High was/is the same intent as the Historic Arena was in Warbirds.

As I have said 100 times, wanna furball, go ahead but its not why the CT or HA was created. They were created for the new name... "Re-Enacting" historic battles. Doesnt mean one side always has to "win".
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 06:27:06 PM by CurtissP-6EHawk »

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2004, 06:24:16 PM »
Originally posted by CurtissP-6EHawk
The CT wont get saved with TheBug or anyone else getting elected.

Now that's silly thinking.  The CT lacks energy from the CT staff area.
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2004, 06:27:43 PM »
Sorry didnt mean it in a bad way. As far as that goes, I say give everone a chance to do it. If the staff members dont like it, as well as CT players, vote him/her out.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2004, 06:41:23 PM »
I agree completely, limited lives would be totally out of the question.  But you do agree something needs to change for the CT to grow in numbers, correct? *edit* and not necessarily within the arena or the setup itself.

I agree, we should try some different stuff.  Most will probably be surised that I prefer the more reduced dar, visual, and tower warning settings. I loved that late war ETO set we did when we first tried turning off the fighters from triggering the base flash. Personally, I have always thought that even at D3.0 you would not be able to really I.D. a plane as small as a fighter unless it was something like a P-38 that was very distinct. I also wouldnt be against no dot dar at all, only bar dar to give you an idea of the relative numbers instead of the AWACS dar we have now.

Originally posted by CurtissP-6EHawk
What will kill the arena more than anything is the way WE yank each others chains. This is NOT good and WE ALL need to stop.

Agreed, and I will try to stop also.

Sorry Grits, thats the way I feel and thats my $.02 [/B]

No problem with me Hawk, there is nothing wrong with dissagreeing, its not personal, at least not on my end.

Offline memnon

• Copper Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2004, 08:05:26 PM »
But it doesn't answer the tough question of how to get more players into the CT.

I suggested in another thread that we ask Hitech, Skuzzy, Pyro, or whoever is in charge of it could put a message about the CT up in the MA. Something Like "System Enjoy Historic battles with limited planesets In the Combat Theatre" and it could pop up every ten minutes or something like that. It could also be done in the other arena's.

I did not say that the CT HAS TO HAVE limited planeset's and lives i was merely pointing out that in order for a true re-enactment you would have to do that. This would never work in the CT because it would be the death of it.  

I agree that we need to bring more people into the CT or at least try and i agree with what Hawk said
However, keep the arena for what it is i.e. Combat, Historical, Special etc. If the allies didnt capture bases in the Theme, then disable capture. If you want captures always enable...per Brady's thinking, then remove the "themes". Personaly I like the "Themes" and is why I post so hard about it.

I fly the CT because in a way we are a little family however the family does need to grow and no i'm not drinking :lol

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2004, 08:08:36 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Defining "
At some point there was a group of players that decided it was created to be a refuge from porking, vulching, grabbing, hoing, ganging, ack-running, smack-talking, fleet beaching/parking, cherry-picking, chute shooting or any number of pet peeves that are, ironically, pretty much an integral part of Aces High play (though smack now has a new home).
!

whats funny is that what happen in WW2 everday RL pliots did HO they did gangbang they did pork they did smack talk they did chute shooting they did cherry picking they did grab huge alt

of course this is not WW2 this is a game o wait the CT is trying to semi RL
known as Arctic in the main

Offline Dennis

• Nickel Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2004, 11:04:50 PM »
I'm curious where folks got this idea that there is a "re-enactment camp" among CT fliers.  

I've read (and re-read) TheBeeg's post, and all he seems to be suggesting is that we might get more out of the game if we approach it differently.  The changes he suggests are more "inside the head" than inside the arena.

Not that some of the gameplay changes subsequently suggested in this thread are bad ... it's just that they're not necessary to get your head into a '40-45 frame of mind. The arena already has the tools and atmosphere for that.  (ToD will be even better suited) From that point, it's up to you.

And that's the beauty of his suggestions.  You can take them or leave them; fly smart (and more historically or with more 'realism') or not.  You can choose to be transported in time when you click that "Combat Theater" button ... or not.  You make the call.

Am I wrong?

Splash1