Author Topic: Realistic Play  (Read 2046 times)

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2004, 02:06:26 AM »
Completely depends on the mission.  I don't like to sit around for an hour waiting for the alliesto get clse before upping.  I hate that.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2004, 11:00:14 AM »
Welcome back to AH, Beeg. It's been fun flying off and on with you last couple of days.

There are a dozen different definitions of what the CT is "supposed" to be, and people will defend their definition very heatedly. The bottom line (and this may sound oversimplified but it's not) is that "it is what it is". It is all of those things at different times, and it always changes... kind of like New England weather.

Just like war... it can be relativley quiet for weeks, then the spit hits the fan. It can be going your way, then suddenly be going very much against you.

To the people who really want a reenactment experience, remember this... the real goal in any war is to get it over as soon as possible. The methods to achieving this end are almost exactly opposite to keeping a game fun and exciting indefinitely.
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2004, 03:34:51 PM »
We did this for a while untill the axis squads made continuous rude remarks. The fun was over and that was the last of it. I know there are still a few squads that fly "missions" but are not anounced.
Anyway, we might just plan something for thursday night. This might be a good time to try it again. Hopfully attitudes will cgange or it will be our last.

We need to head off the bullsh*t animosity before it starts again. It does nothing but give a black eye to the CT and prevents growth. Not mention having guys who would normally get along wanting to step outside over what supposed to be fun. I should know, Ive gone round and round with guys defending why I fly the way I fly, what I think others should be doing, or why my squad is better than this one or that one. Its seems in the past anytime we had squads, Allied or Axis, running missions it was some of the best fights (in my opinion, and others) But then one off colored comment from either side on channel one from either side and its goes to hell in a habd basket. It turns the CT into chat room for text buffer warriors and does nothing but drive people out. (sometimes whole squads) I know you cant tell people how to act, and some get off on running thier mouths. All I will ask of CT regulars, is do your part and take it down a notch. We have a nice little sand box here but its been better( and worse) I think having organized ops (what ever they may be) on tues and thurs squad nights is a vital part of the CT. For those who want to, we should make the most of it. Hawk, you and your squad are as important to making this work as much as any others. I ask that you hang in there and you guys do what you can.

BTW, as far as running your mouth on the BBS and Ch 1. I know Ive been at the forefront of this many times( a helluvalot actually) I wont apologize for all of it, but most of the time it did nothing for the CT. Its part of my nature, but Im going to make an effort to keep it in check.

There are a dozen different definitions of what the CT is "supposed" to be, and people will defend their definition very heatedly. The bottom line (and this may sound oversimplified but it's not) is that "it is what it is". It is all of those things at different times, and it always changes..

The only thing the CT is supposed  to be is fun. Like he said, it is what it is. Make the most of it.

Let me ask eveyone this if someone were to post that a mini mission was about to take place who would be interested in participating? I'm asking this because the idea of running missions in the CT has been kicked around by us in the 312th for awhile but the problem is we don't know if anyone would even want to participate.

I think your best bet will be to utilize the BBS to try to get a feel for how many want to participate and to let opposing squads know whats up. A mission is in the works for tuesday and most likely thursday. Hawk, get with me on the HA forum or email if you want in. Actually, Im asking you to get in on it. Let me know

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2004, 03:48:03 PM »
Originally posted by Grits
Let me point out that sometimes the mission, planned ahead of time, was to fly to the enema base and furball. VF-17 and the VMF squads based in the lower Solomans in late '43 and early '44 did exactly that many times over Rabaul. Everyone that studies that part of the war knows the story of Boyington coming up with the idea of using buff frequencies and formations to trick the IJN fighters at Rabaul into engaging. The only goal was to engage and destroy enema fighters, not to bomb, not to strafe, not to intercept bombers, not to do recon. It was for all intents and purposes a big furball, exactly what happens most of the time in the CT.

I love planned missions, and I am the first one to join one of Stream's missions regardless what side I'm on because they are fun. I will never forget in the Hungary set I think late Feb, the 325th and 78th ran a NOE mission to hit a bridge with A20's. They used LA7's posing as buffs as a diversion force. Deej and I were the only ones to intercept them as everyone else was furballing. That was the single most tense and fun sortie I think I have yet flown in AH and I didnt even get a kill.

I think that furballing did happen, as a planned mission not by accident, and should not be dismissed as "unrealistic" so quickly.

Thank you Grits. Well put and better explained than I did!

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2004, 03:50:25 PM »
I agree that the CT "Is what it is" but more importantly it "Is what WE make it". If you stop and think about it we, as customers of HTC, have a very large role in what the CT is considering we are no part of the company.

Tue-Thurs Ops. I love them, and I think we should do them more often, and more as a side and not as a squad on one side. Include everyone on your side as part of the mission if you can instead of doing it all as a squad. Also, if you are planning something, let the other side know, you dont have to give any details, just annonce here in the CT Forum "something will happen Tue/thurs at about 8-9PM from the Allied/Axis side, so be ready."

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2004, 03:51:44 PM »
Originally posted by Slash27
We did this for a while untill the axis squads made continuous rude remarks. The fun was over and that was the last of it. I know there are still a few squads that fly "missions" but are not anounced.
Anyway, we might just plan something for thursday night. This might be a good time to try it again. Hopfully attitudes will cgange or it will be our last.

We need to head off the bullsh*t animosity before it starts again. It does nothing but give a black eye to the CT and prevents growth. Not mention having guys who would normally get along wanting to step outside over what supposed to be fun. I should know, Ive gone round and round with guys defending why I fly the way I fly, what I think others should be doing, or why my squad is better than this one or that one. Its seems in the past anytime we had squads, Allied or Axis, running missions it was some of the best fights (in my opinion, and others) But then one off colored comment from either side on channel one from either side and its goes to hell in a habd basket. It turns the CT into chat room for text buffer warriors and does nothing but drive people out. (sometimes whole squads) I know you cant tell people how to act, and some get off on running thier mouths. All I will ask of CT regulars, is do your part and take it down a notch. We have a nice little sand box here but its been better( and worse) I think having organized ops (what ever they may be) on tues and thurs squad nights is a vital part of the CT. For those who want to, we should make the most of it. Hawk, you and your squad are as important to making this work as much as any others. I ask that you hang in there and you guys do what you can.

BTW, as far as running your mouth on the BBS and Ch 1. I know Ive been at the forefront of this many times( a helluvalot actually) I wont apologize for all of it, but most of the time it did nothing for the CT. Its part of my nature, but Im going to make an effort to keep it in check.

There are a dozen different definitions of what the CT is "supposed" to be, and people will defend their definition very heatedly. The bottom line (and this may sound oversimplified but it's not) is that "it is what it is". It is all of those things at different times, and it always changes..

The only thing the CT is supposed  to be is fun. Like he said, it is what it is. Make the most of it.

Let me ask eveyone this if someone were to post that a mini mission was about to take place who would be interested in participating? I'm asking this because the idea of running missions in the CT has been kicked around by us in the 312th for awhile but the problem is we don't know if anyone would even want to participate.

I think your best bet will be to utilize the BBS to try to get a feel for how many want to participate and to let opposing squads know whats up. A mission is in the works for tuesday and most likely thursday. Hawk, get with me on the HA forum or email if you want in. Actually, Im asking you to get in on it. Let me know

I must say I got just as bad at the animosity but it realy came as a  defence, not offense! Nevertheless, two wrongs dont make a right. Lets get off to a new start. :aok

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2004, 03:56:14 PM »
Also, if you are planning something, let the other side know, you dont have to give any details, just annonce here in the CT Forum "something will happen Tue/thurs at about 8-9PM from the Allied/Axis side, so be ready."

I think this is vital.  We've had lots of fun on those nights when someone ran an announced mission.  It gives the opposing side something to look for, and a reason to shake out a roughly organized opposition when the big screen lights up and says "This is it!"  When a missions hasn't been announced, it looks (to the opposition) more like a milk-and-pork-fest.  People start making fun of the mission, tempers flare and ugliness ensues.  You don't have to give away the plane makeup, target, routes &c., but broad hints about those things can be the beginning of a really great evening.

- oldman

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2004, 04:19:56 PM »
I think this is vital. We've had lots of fun on those nights when someone ran an announced mission. It gives the opposing side something to look for, and a reason to shake out a roughly organized opposition when the big screen lights up and says "This is it!" When a missions hasn't been announced, it looks (to the opposition) more like a milk-and-pork-fest. People start making fun of the mission, tempers flare and ugliness ensues. You don't have to give away the plane makeup, target, routes &c., but broad hints about those things can be the beginning of a really great evening.

Exactly OM.

I must say I got just as bad at the animosity but it realy came as a defence, not offense! Nevertheless, two wrongs dont make a right. Lets get off to a new start.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 05:04:31 PM by Slash27 »

Offline memnon

• Copper Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2004, 04:53:30 PM »
The Mini missions i was talking about would not occur on regular squad nights and it would be a spur of the moment thing so to post it here would be useless.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2004, 05:03:37 PM »
Those can be tough Mem. if you dont have the right group of guys at the right time. They can be alot of fun if you can get people to join, but getting them to join can be frustrating as hell.

Offline memnon

• Copper Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2004, 05:17:04 PM »
I understand this but i think that after it is done a few times it will catch on and the threads will be filled with nothing but salutes and HAD A GREAT TIME LAST NIGHT. No more bad threads what so ever (Who am i kidding).

What have we got to lose no one will join oh well try again and again and so on.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2004, 05:48:48 PM »
The only problem with those "pickup" missions is they, from the other side as Oldman noted earlier, look like base porking milkruns even if that is not the goal.

Offline TheBeeg

• Zinc Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2004, 07:55:05 PM »
Grits;
I would totally agree that a planned mission whose purpose is to draw enemy fighters up to their destruction is most most definetely within the scope of running a "planned" war.   I can also relate to the fun of being on a mission even if you don't get a kill,  back in my other sim (ww2ol) this was a common as hell occurrence as first of all you have no radar and have to depend on the high command to tell you where the battle is being joined.  Once you're in the air, you've got to practically be on top of the enemy before you can possitively tell if they're friend or foe and sometimes you don't even see the bastage that kills you because he popped out of some overcast to find you neatly in front of him ugh.  
As I write this I'm thinking what is it that I disliked about ww2ol which made me come here.  I'll tell you.  Those guys have the absolutely best environment for reality of all the online sims.  They have an Axis and Allied high command structure, they have what is beyond a shadow of a doubt the best rendition of what the real world skies look like and argueably they have a decent flight model for their limited 1940-41 planeset (in my cases as Axis I got a 109E or after the factories pumped it out a 109F) but unfortunately the problem is that they're flying around in 1940-41 with a 2004 mindset.  They just can't bring themselves to play the role of a jagdflieger and constantly run around bad mouthing the HC, doing stupid things like going low in order to get infantry kills.  It may be fun to strafe a truck full of infantry but not with Spits, Hurcs and Dewos waiting to make you pay the price.  My bottom line is that I became disallusioned with the 6 day a week dweebishness and only go there for squad night on fridays which are a little more structured.  If I'm not going to get the GI Joe or LW Fritz reality I'm looking for then I might as well at least get to fly something a little hotter that Ze olde Emil.  That's why I'm here spouting off reality :D

TheBeeg

Let me point out that sometimes the mission, planned ahead of time, was to fly to the enema base and furball. VF-17 and the VMF squads based in the lower Solomans in late '43 and early '44 did exactly that many times over Rabaul. Everyone that studies that part of the war knows the story of Boyington coming up with the idea of using buff frequencies and formations to trick the IJN fighters at Rabaul into engaging. The only goal was to engage and destroy enema fighters, not to bomb, not to strafe, not to intercept bombers, not to do recon. It was for all intents and purposes a big furball, exactly what happens most of the time in the CT.

I love planned missions, and I am the first one to join one of Stream's missions regardless what side I'm on because they are fun. I will never forget in the Hungary set I think late Feb, the 325th and 78th ran a NOE mission to hit a bridge with A20's. They used LA7's posing as buffs as a diversion force. Deej and I were the only ones to intercept them as everyone else was furballing. That was the single most tense and fun sortie I think I have yet flown in AH and I didnt even get a kill.

I think that furballing did happen, as a planned mission not by accident, and should not be dismissed as "unrealistic" so quickly.

Offline TheBeeg

• Zinc Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2004, 08:04:56 PM »
:lol  
Having been Axis for the last two years in WW2OL I might tend to agree that we Teutonic Knights are a bit on the arrogant and rude side :lol

However, here's a thought.  Why do we keep channel 1 open?  Why not totally ignore the enemy?  Let me tell you that this and Fighter Ace (The King of the Dweebish Flight Sims) is the only place where you can directly communicate with the enemy.  Can't do it in WarBirds or World War 2 Online.  To trash talk the enemy in those sims you've got to go to what we called in ww2ol the Playskool Forums.   I know that we're a small group in the CT and we switch sides to balance quite a bit but if the majority agreed that while fighting we would treat each other as enemies and stop the cute salutes which we all know are nothing more than letting the sob know that you know that you killed his butt :D

Beeg

Originally posted by CurtissP-6EHawk
Beej,

VMF-312 and the 325th FG use to plan and anounce that we were going to fly a mission. These mission consisted of attacking a target. The target could be a bridge, a single building, or even a railroad track of importance. These targets are not always game start targets. We do NBOT furball during these missions. We fly as ordered by the CO or Mission CO. We would attack and RTB. If the mission was NOT to fight, we would not fight.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
Realistic Play
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2004, 08:05:33 PM »
Maybe if we had a CT staffer that actually participated in organizing these missions, things would go much smoother.  I know it's possible without them, but much easier with them.

But maybe if you ran the mission in the MA you would get more interest out of the CT staff.

VoteBug!:aok
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane