Author Topic: HTC - Important - Skin Management  (Read 343 times)

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
HTC - Important - Skin Management
« on: July 30, 2004, 12:23:54 PM »
Hello HTC,
There is great new feature - custom skins......

You did very nice job to bring new skin options into gameplay.

However, there are situations when we wouldn't like to let players use any skin they want......

For example yestoday I was flying at CT - Battle of Britain Setup......... and I had seen Hurricane I with finish markings.....

It is nice to have them at MA - but it is really rediculas at CT or SEA...........

In my opinoin the best solution would be to give different skin manegment for such arenas.

As there are different terrains for CT/SEA there are should be different skins for them....

I think there should be a package of skins that should be upload on log in as it is done with terrains. In this package should be defined - wich skin is allowed and for each side..... also there might be given skins that are not historical..

As you know CT/SEA CMs use lots of subsituations in setups because of the lack of relevant planes - lets take Kurnand where Ki-67 was reskinned as Tu-4. This might be very important for game play and will halp a lot for CMs in making hitorical setups more realistics

Thanks,
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 12:02:19 AM »
Punt

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 01:39:20 PM »
Remapping a ki67 as a tu2 would be a real pain in the arse, as somebody has to make the skin in the first place.

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 04:34:16 PM »
It was reskinned as Tu-4.......
So maybe but it was done.........

If we want normal gamplay at CT/SEA we must have non standard skins and skins restrictions........

First time I really was disapointed of new skins feature - at CT - BoB when I saw Hurri with Finish markings.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 05:38:14 PM »
Consider: BOB had all-RAF sqns using RAF standard skins. You can ONLY have so many literally-identical-skins-with-different-plane-codes. So one BOB squad may pick a finnish skin just to stand out amongst their pilots, so that they, themselves, can identify each other more readily. It may have nothing to do with realism, or messing with realism. It's just a simple matter of recognition, etc, etc.

Offline OIO

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 06:06:54 PM »
yeah i mean, god forbid the icons dont already tell you who's who and who's on your side and who's not :D

Let them do custom skins.

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 01:53:53 AM »
The major point is.......

The new skin feture is great for MA

But it shouldn't work this way at CT/SEA

Offline Dennis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2004, 12:41:58 PM »
A good point, artik.

Perhaps what some who don't fly the CT or SEA regularly don't understand is that with historical plane matchups and scenerios, it can be quite a buzzkill to see an inappropriate paint job or nationality markings on a plane.

It's not an issue in the MA, where it's all vs. all, anyway.

In AH1, custom skins were tied to the terrain.  So the only place you were going to see a Finnish or Russian Hurricane, for example, was the Fin-Rus map.  The only place you'd see an Aussie P40 was The Slot. Slovak 109s were found only on the Hungary map. etc, etc, etc.
Now in AH2, alternate skins, once approved by HTC, appear to be available at all times in all arenas (assuming that plane is enabled).

What would be handy is a way for the person setting up the map in the CT and SEA arenas to disable/enable skins for the enabled planes in the same way planes are disabled/enabled.

Splash1

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004, 01:57:30 PM »
That is very important issue and it has high potencial for future problems in different setups at CT/SEA

Lots of players fly AH only beause these two places - people that like historical mutchups.....

so......

HTC Please Respond

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2004, 02:50:15 PM »
HT has said this to many times.

No, all arena's will have the same skins.  Something about the host program HTR is using i think.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Dennis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2004, 03:40:01 PM »
Pyro has, indeed, confirmed (in 2 threads I could find) that all skins are shared among all arenas.  I could not find a thread where anyone said why this is the case, or that this was set in stone.  I could have missed it in my search.

Anyway, artik's posts seem to fall squarely within the subject of this forum:  "Gameplay Feedback and Requests."  Perhaps it's something HTC could put on "the list" for a future update.

Once ToD is online, it would seem the problem will present itself there, as well.  My understanding is that the missions would be much more immersive there.  It would be a shame to have a willy-nilly approach to plane graphics in that arena.

Splash1

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 01:34:15 AM »
Originally posted by B17Skull12
HT has said this to many times.

No, all arena's will have the same skins.  Something about the host program HTR is using i think.

B17Skull12....
I know this - but having same server for skins do not prevent you to build skin filters - it is not so much code to write......

Also if HTC will add option of submitting non-historical skins for subsituations or non-WW2 skins for non-WW2 setups - that will not be allowed at MA it will solve many issues for CT/SEA gameplay........

It is all about to build skins filter settings.
It is not too much work (relatively;) ).... but it will have to be done anyway.... for ToD or others....

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2004, 01:56:32 AM »
Artik, no point in pushing this, and i can see HT reasoning why.  How often would we use the Skins,  How long wquld we use them.  I am not sure but i think that server's move slower the more skins that is on them.  Storing them up and then turning off i think would cause more lag on account of the server has to tell each player which skins are ok and which aren't.  That causes it to slow down.  Also try and remember that AH2 is not all about realism, it is about gameplay.  Honestly if you want historical realism, Il2 is more fit for you not AH.

If you want better stuff for the SEA/CT, then feel free to donate a really high end server to HTC.

Bandwidth(lol wasn't thinking im to tried) is the problem more skins per different arena= more bandwidth being used.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 01:59:00 AM by B17Skull12 »
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2004, 02:00:04 AM »
Dennis ToD is going to have its over Server and connection i think so it wont be as limited as the MA CT.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2004, 02:06:24 AM »
Originally posted by B17Skull12
Artik, no point in pushing this, and i can see HT reasoning why.  How often would we use the Skins,  How long wquld we use them.  I am not sure but i think that server's move slower the more skins that is on them.  Storing them up and then turning off i think would cause more lag on account of the server has to tell each player which skins are ok and which aren't.  That causes it to slow down.  Also try and remember that AH2 is not all about realism, it is about gameplay.  Honestly if you want historical realism, Il2 is more fit for you not AH.

If you want better stuff for the SEA/CT, then feel free to donate a really high end server to HTC.

Bandwidth(lol wasn't thinking im to tried) is the problem more skins per different arena= more bandwidth being used.

Skull..... there is no usage of bandwith of server accept on skins download.... do you have problem downloading terrains???? No you don't...... after you download skins only thing you use is skin id per plane....

Don't try to explain every thing - it can't be done - it might reduce perfomance.......

Be more positive
<<>>