Author Topic: HiTech / Pyro CFG file question / suggestion  (Read 212 times)

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
HiTech / Pyro CFG file question / suggestion
« on: August 05, 2004, 09:59:21 AM »
In AH there are many different config files for various items. These of course are very important, and needed.

My question is, is there a reason that they are all separate files? Ie: view.kmp; gunner.kmp; global.kmp and so on.

All those files (including the HPS and others) make backing up the data a little confusing sometimes. You want to keep most, but delete the video8.cfg and things like that.

Is it possible to make the CFG’s  1 file?

For example:

Keymap.kmp

[Global]
data
data
data
data
data
data
data
data
data

[Gunner]
data
data
data
data
data
data
data
data
data

[View]
data
data
data
data
data
data
data
data
data

In 1 file, you get the idea.

Also, the plane HPS or config’s maybe in 1 file

Planes.cfg

[Plane1]
data
data
data
data
data
data

[Plane2]
data
data
data
data
data
data

[Plane3]
data
data
data
data
data
data

again you get the idea. For backing up the plain data it would be a lot easier, and I think save some space since it would be 3 or 4 larger files instead of 100’s of small files. maybe a HPS one, a CFG one, a KMP one, a Video one, and a Joystick one.

you could put some miscellaneous stuff in the CFG one too, like the favorites, and pwl's whatever.

dunno maybe too complicated to write the code that way.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 01:42:51 PM »
Althow it would be technicly possible to use that type of system. It over all would be less friendly.

On the technical side, it would be some what slower of a system, every time any thing is changed or needs to be saved the entire file has to be reconstructed.

Trouble shooting and user support becomes more difficult. We cant just tell some one to delete one file. Did a quick test, it would be around a 12000 line file. Trying to have a user delete one section is not an easy task.

It also goes against a basic programing philosphy of mine, that keeping things isolated as much as posible creates less problems in the long run.

And finaly it still wouldn't solve your issue, because the video would also be put into that file, so you would be backing up everything, just as if you back up the entire settings folder. So in essence it would make what you are trying to do more complex.

HiTech

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 02:18:08 PM »
ahh rgr thanks.

though i was thinking more like 1 fiel of HPS for all planes

then 1 salvo file for all planes

then 1 convergence file for all planes

oh well

the way you explain it it makes alot of sence. i undertsand the reasoning now.

12000 lines LMAO thats huge. notepad wouldnt even be able to read that would it?

ty for the response
I don't know what to put here yet.