Author Topic: B-26 and v.46 observations  (Read 245 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
B-26 and v.46 observations
« on: January 14, 2000, 02:29:00 PM »
Very nice addition to the planeset.  This weapon will have a definate role, a very long lifespan in the sim.  I managed to lose my V stab aweful easily and tore wings off pulling out of a 20 degree dive at just a tick under 320 ias.  The front hand held gun has a very limited traverse of fire.  This bomber will fall easily to well coordinated frontal attacks from below.  Took some hits and recieved ample damage in spite of others feeling that it was unkillable.  I was shot down twice in four sorties with two kills credited.

Very stable in the nordan sight.  Decent loadout with decent climb.  Landing seemed uneventful though fast.

My electric gunsights were too large.  It was like being in zoom plus a few yards without zoom being on.  Of course the glass reflector plates arent modeled in yet.

Very pleased with this release.  The hires gauges are splendid and the rolling terrain
much more interesting and causes use of terrain to be a much larger factor now.

The plane FMs are feeling stable and predictable even without PROP DRAG and I suspect aero drag in general still unfinished.

Nice work, very nice.

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2000, 05:44:00 PM »
Your speed being high when you ripped the wings off only enables you to pull enough G's to do it.  It's not speed or dive angle that rips the wings, it's the G's you pull.  These things are not fighters, so any fast movement at high speed has the potential to rip the wings.

How many G's did you pull?  That is the relevant question.

Also, the B26 is quite vulnerable from below.  It is a good choice for low-fast runs to the target.

------------------
Lephturn
The Flying Pigs

Offline Tern

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2000, 06:04:00 PM »
Lephturn, you're right on target, (no pun intended) since as I recall the main roll of the B26 was low level attacks, of skip bombing altitudes.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2000, 07:08:00 PM »
B-26 loses horizontal stabs randomly...
Question: How much overstress you can have with 160mph to break plane?  
Must be quite effective control surfaces.. huh

Offline BBGunn

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2000, 10:27:00 PM »
The B26 was known for its high landing speed.
Too slow and you stall and drop a wing and go in like pelican poop.

Offline v355_Spike

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2000, 12:36:00 AM »
Good insights guys! One thing I would like to know is how in the heck do ya get in front of the thing. I mean like at 12-15k shouldn't the pony be like twice as fast as that buff?

------------------
SgtSpike
v355 Fighter Group
Steeple Morden Strafers

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2000, 01:12:00 AM »
Spike: B-17.. yes.. B-26, no..
Two different planes.
Also, P-51 has bad accerlation.
It is fast, but gets to top speed slowly.
B26 currently flies around 280-350 TAS.. seems correct to me..
As note here that Ju-88 was able to fly about 400mph. (special version though, but gives some point)

Offline JoeMud

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2000, 11:59:00 AM »
On the b26 I can see the plane ripping apart in turns but what I would like to know is how it rips apart flying level and at about 200mph ias??? Anyone??

------------------
Gijoey,Joetwo,JoeMud=me
 DHBG!!

Offline -cman-

• Zinc Member
      • http://cman.digitalmechanics.cx
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2000, 10:11:00 AM »
Took a couple of hops in the 26 this weekend.  I find it to be fast and maneuverable; a nice addition.  Not too worried about the full frontal attacks.  A little work with the rudder and some spray and pray from the quad 50's will discourage that sort of stuff.  

Much more vulnerable from the oblique 20-40 degrees angle off nose attack IMHO.  No coverage there (top turret doesn't depress for toejam) and a big fat sight picture.

Definitely the thing for low-level attacks.

One question though: on final approach for landing I dropped gear at 175 mph or so and they were creaking and stressing to beat the band.  Even once I had slowed to 150-145 mph they were still giving the stress sounds.  I thought that the correct landing speed for the B-26 was in the 140-150 range.  Did not try another go around to slow down and check stall characteristics at a slower approach speed.

If this is correct, then the gear stress settings on the B-26 need to be corrected as there is no room for error.  Just a tad too hot and the gear come off.  Slow enough to get rid of the gear stress and you auger in.  Oh well, the beast had a bad rep anyway.  

Can anyone confirm the low-speed stall characteristics?  It should start mushing out about 135 mph with full flaps at 1000 feet.

Yeah, I know.  It's beta.

------------------
-cman-
The Dweebs of Death
"Death before dishonor,
often just moments
before."

combat23

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2000, 12:00:00 PM »
Hey Fishu, right on the 400mph on that ju88(s ? was it) but not at 12 to 15 k.  would have to be over 20k to go that fast.

Would like to see that JU in AH.

see ya on line

Spinner2

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2000, 01:56:00 PM »
   B-26:

Ceiling---21,000ft

Max Speed---281mph at 15,000ft

Pay load---5200lbs

Crew---7