Author Topic: Check6 Event for 9 June 01-- Surigao Strait!  (Read 248 times)

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
Check6 Event for 9 June 01-- Surigao Strait!
« on: June 09, 2001, 02:25:00 PM »
Hey guys  :).. This is my first time hosting a Check6 event, so I'm hoping alot of you show up.. It starts at 3pm est but get there a lil early to make sure you have your ride. Looking at the setup below, the Americans might get their tulips kicked, So I might enable the chog for gameplay (haven't decided yet)
  Anyone who wants to command a sqdn or overall cmdr, send me a note sometime today at bear1@bigisland.com

Overview:
A desperate Gamble to Protect Japan

Admiral Soemu Toyoda, the commanding officer of Japan’s Combined Fleet, made up his mind on October 18, 1944 to send his three separate naval forces to destroy the two U.S. fleets and an immense invasion convoy heading for Leyte. The decision, he said, was “as difficult as swallowing molten iron” --and for good reason. The admiral’s battle plan, outlined on the map shown below, was designed to neutralize the air superiority of the American Third Fleet, whose 800 carrier-based planes outnumbered all of the Japanese aircraft within range of Leyte Gulf. Toyoda knew that even if the plan was successful, it would probably cost him half of his warships.
  But with the security of the home islands at stake, Toyoda’s admirals welcomed the mission. Vice Admiral Takeo Kurita, commanding the main force of battleships and cruisers, felt that the fleet had “the suicide spirit.” Vice Admiral Shoji Nishimura, whose only son had recently been killed in action, was eager to join him in patriotic death. Vice Admiral Jisaburo Ozawa volunteered to sacifice his entire force to lure the Third Fleet away for Leyte Gulf.
  As Toyoda’s forces steamed out to do battle, nearly everything went wrong. Radio failures disrupted the admirals’ efforts to coordinate their attacks, and they were betrayed by their inferior radar equipment.  Human error exacted an even heavier toll: the veteran commanders, their judgment impaired by exhaustion and mounting losses, made blunders that hastened their downfall. Toyoda himself was responsible for many of the reverses that were suffered by his forces. He tried unwisely to direct the battle from his underground headquarters located in a Tokyo suburb, and hi contributed to the destruction of the Southern Force by permitting its two sections to go into action without a single overall commander.
   The far-flung struggle ebbed and flowed for three days, with clashes taking place as much as 500 miles apart. When the battle ended, the Japanese Navy had lost 26 of its 64 participating warships.  Never again would it engage the enemy as an integral fighting force.
Terrain- Phillipines
Icons- short
Dar- Sector bars only (I think that is 9)
Fuel- Normal
Unlimited lives
Use the following planes
Japanese - Ki61 and Niki and Ju88 for Japaneese land bases. Zeke for IJN CV's
American - F4UD and  F6F and TBM for CV's.
Both- PT boats, M16's.
Bases open will be A4, A5 A7 A8 P34 P36 P38 P40 and all the CV's of course.

10Bears

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2001, 03:41:00 PM »
SWEEEEETTTTTTTTT   :cool:

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2001, 03:54:00 PM »
fleets cant maneuver through the straights though  :(
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2001, 12:08:00 PM »
Bump post and Vladd is Japanese CO for today's Check Six Sun June 10, 01 3pm est event
Good luck
10Bears

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2001, 12:16:00 PM »
What a great setup!  Wish I could be there.
  :(

Think we'll ever get weeknight events?  That woudl be great!

Offline Vladd

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2001, 05:14:00 PM »
Well, the Phillipine terrain was great, for sure.

Looking forward to a full scenario using this one (if only HTC modelled the Betty, or indeed any Japanese bomber... )

Thanks for your efforts tonight 10Bears, had some fine fights with the USN players <S>

And Kudos to my squaddie Adjuster who got the CV   :D

Vladd

[ 06-10-2001: Message edited by: Vladd ]

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2001, 05:26:00 PM »
Did we need the N1k and F4U-1C?

Although perhaps accurrate in deployment, Ki61s and Zeros against F6Fs,TBMs and a few -1Ds would have been more exciting then uber quad cannons.

Still, had fun, thnx for the opportunity <S>

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2001, 06:09:00 PM »
Ah geese.. Hope I don't get booted for Mag33 I went over the data and am standing by my decision on who won. You can go take a look at the data if you want in the special events general.

Partly my fault for not explaining the order of battle better.. I apologize. But you guys are supposed to be ww2 history buffs and should know what happens the week before the Layte landing.

On the other hand, maybe it was a good idea to remove bomber threats first I don't know... I know somebody lost a carrier.
I know a CM who really should've PRINTED out the dot commands.

Special thanks to Cit for helping me out on radar settings kbman and Vladd for CO'n and to all who showed up
10Bears

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2001, 06:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager:
Did we need the N1k and F4U-1C?

Although perhaps accurrate in deployment, Ki61s and Zeros against F6Fs,TBMs and a few -1Ds would have been more exciting then uber quad cannons.

Still, had fun, thnx for the opportunity <S>

Yeager

Do we need expensive cars? Do we need cable TV? Do we need PC's in our homes? Of coarse not..we want them, just as folks wanted those 2 AC in the scenario....So shooosh! ;)

Was a fun scenario, I flew the F6F and enjoyed it much during the event. <S> to Jihad, 10bears adn all the participants.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2001, 06:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Citabria:
fleets cant maneuver through the straights though   :(

When the new editor arrives I'll be adding field guns, a few bases and reorganize some of the strat objects.

I'll also eliminate a lot of the small islands in the straits for easier navigation of the ship groups.   ;)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2001, 08:11:00 PM »
Well ammo, I understand needing the two dweebiest rides in the MA in the HA to bring in the regular MA folks.  Perhaps someday enough of us will be interested in the SEs to have to not need the circus freaks (ala nik and chog) to draw in the crowd   :eek:

Hell,l after my two Ki61 sorties I grabbed a N1K just like any other dweeb would do and got HOd by kbman and his quad 20 hispanos lol.....

;)

Y

[ 06-10-2001: Message edited by: Yeager ]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2001, 08:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager:
Well ammo, I understand needing the two dweebiest rides in the MA in the HA to bring in the regular MA folks.  Perhaps someday enough of us will be interested in the SEs to have to not need the circus freaks (ala nik and chog) to draw in the crowd    :eek:

Hell,l after my two Ki61 sorties I grabbed a N1K just like any other dweeb would do and got HOd by kbman and his quad 20 hispanos lol.....

;)

Y

Well I guess i dont see it the way you do. I dont need to label people and the F4's and the N1K's to be happy. Some people just gotta have a crisis or somethin to  complain about to be happy Yeag... To each his own
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2001, 08:08:00 AM »
Some people just gotta have a crisis or somethin to complain about to be happy Yeag... To each his own
====
Thanks for the Psycho-analysis.

Y

[ 06-11-2001: Message edited by: Yeager ]