Author Topic: LW aircraft gun ballistics (not a whine)  (Read 136 times)

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
LW aircraft gun ballistics (not a whine)
« on: January 17, 2000, 04:18:00 AM »
Pyro, or anyone else who can answer these questions.. What muzzle velocities were used for the mg151/20 and mg131? My only source is  Heinz Nowarra's book on the FW190, and it gives 1920 fps for the 20mm, and 2461 for the 13mm. I'm working on my terrible shooting and  looking for a more systematic way of compensating for bullet drop. I set convergence to 400 yds for the 13mm and 550 for the 20mm, and try not to shoot till under 400 yds. Another question is, if set the convergence that way, then will the majority of the rounds hit where the center of my gunsight is at 400 and 550 yds (assuming no g-load, just flying straight)? I.e. if I have my target in sight, at 400 yds I have the center of my gunsight placed on the target and I shoot (and i'm not pulling any g's), will the rounds hit the target?

mauser

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2000, 04:30:00 AM »
Wait till we get MK 103.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2000, 08:18:00 AM »
mauser, assuming you are level the center of the dispersion patern will be on target.

HiTech

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2000, 11:26:00 AM »
Thanks for the reply HT  . How about the muzzle velocities that are currently being used? It'll help gauge how long the rounds have to fly to reach the target (assuming I can gauge the closure to the target too), and will help a little with deflection shots (something I have to do a lot for now). If you can't release the numbers, are the numbers I have within the ballpark? Thanx  

mauser