Author Topic: Fly what ya fly  (Read 146 times)

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
Fly what ya fly
« on: January 17, 2000, 05:46:00 AM »
Was just in this morning, made a comment on how the range on N1k's 20mm made it good for plinking buffs at long range. Heard "that's not what it's made for,it's for fighter sweeps" made me think on game vs real, in game people saddle up a plane according to what they're gonna do, in reality, you run what ya brung, pilot's didn't have a choice of a/c to fight with, even countrie that had multiple types, if your unit had 190's you flew 190's and you BnZ'd in a 190, you sweep in a 190, and you turn fight in a 190. I think telling a guy he should be doing this or that in a particular plane might help his score (oh my the almighty score):rolleyes
but let a guy fight the way he wants, don't think he is nuts to turn fight in a 190, or intercept buffs in a N1K, (note; this does not cover dogfighting buffs) :P
If he loses, hey he lost, BFD, if he wins, he's got bragging rights at the O club,
the primary object is to have a good time, since we've removed all the negatives aspects of air combat eg; throwing up in your mask from too many G's, stand to, mess hall chow, oh yeah, and getting killed dead without replane.  

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
Fly what ya fly
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2000, 08:05:00 AM »
double post

[This message has been edited by dolomite (edited 01-17-2000).]

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
Fly what ya fly
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2000, 08:07:00 AM »
Good idea. This is something that has bugged me too. Maybe we could clear the air and set the proper order of planes that everyone can fly?
In order of preference, greatest to least:

C47- Only the manliest of men would dare. Try to maneuver in front of enemy aircraft so that dropping troops collide with the enemy, destroying them. Careful, only eight shots are loaded!

Fw190- This one is ok only if you fly around on the deck, hugging the terrain at 200 ft.

F4U- Same as above, but you can only use half throttle.

B17- Only sissies fly over 5K.

B26- As long as you don't try to evade enemy fire. Oh, and don't shoot back, either.

Bf109- You must have at least D4 vertical separation which must immediately be traded off for a vertical attack. Yes, full down trim!

La5FN- Start firing from D1.2 and never let off the tit. High deflection shots have the green light for hosing away.

c205V- You must HO everything you see.

N1K2J- You must not HO anything you see.

Spitfire MkIX- Load no more than 25% fuel (if you're so good, why load more?).

P51- Freely TnB with disdain, and never, EVER, run screaming like a girl!

There! That should clarify gaming for us dweebs...  

[This message has been edited by dolomite (edited 01-17-2000).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Fly what ya fly
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2000, 08:13:00 AM »
Since I started flying around V.34, I had limited my flight time to a few planes, last nite I flew 2 aircraft I'd never flown before, the LA-5 and the 51.

P51: Wow, this thing turns beautifully and can accelerate good, I now understand why so many people fly it! You're going to look good in a P51.

LA-5: I came upon 2 P51's  at a 1000 ft. alt advantage with my first enemy encounter in the LA-5, they both ran.  That had me thinking. Then, attacked a 109 and easily killed him.  The plane is definately one of the better planes in the game save the wimpy guns (well, not that wimpy, 2-20mikemike is better than 6-.50's IMO)

I was impressed with the performance of both planes.

Offline Sharky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.31stfightergroup.com
Fly what ya fly
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2000, 08:58:00 AM »
Ripsnort,

Just happened to compare kills in the scoring page with each aircraft vs each aircraft.  Funny thing, the 205 has more kills against any other fighter than it has been killed against any other fighter (did that make sense?)  Seems the 205 a pretty damn good plane!

Sharky

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Fly what ya fly
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2000, 09:02:00 AM »
Sharky, haven't tried the 205 but one sortie, I felt it was well balanced between T&B and B&Z, juries still out for me, I need more time in it.  Sounds like its quite the fighter!

------------------
Brian "Ripsnort" Nelson
-Rip1- VF-101 Grim Reapers (RET)
"There is no reason anyone would
want a computer in their home."
   Ken Olson, president, chairman and
founder of Digital Equipment Corp.,1977

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
Fly what ya fly
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2000, 09:36:00 AM »
c205V is very balanced. It's a pretty good all-rounder. Turns with all but the spit, has good climb, decent guns, great ammo load, good E retention, decent speed.

It isn't the best at anything, but it does well enough to be competitive with the best in all areas.