Author Topic: Ground targets for attack planes??  (Read 146 times)

Offline DocFalconer1

• Zinc Member
Ground targets for attack planes??
« on: June 11, 2001, 09:43:00 AM »
AH has 1 dedicated attack plane, plenty of jabos, and a b-26 (which can be used as an attack plane w/ foward firing MG's).  So, shouldn't we have ground targets other than airfields and factories now??  Attack missions in WWII were highly varied; drop a bridge one day, fly an armed recon the next day, then attack a rail station the next.  So, shouldn't AH have the same variety in attack missions besides just attacking a field or factory??  In my opinion, adding targets such as towns, capturable factories, bridges, railways, trains, rail stations, truck convoys, server controlled tank attacks (on partially crippled towns, factories, supply depots, rail stations, and fields), roads, and supply depots would, quite obviously, increase the variety in attack missions.  It would also add more purpose to planes such as the Il-2, which was primarily used for attacking tank columns, and the b-26, which was used for attacking a huge variety of targets (other than fields and factories).  

As for the naval aspect, adding sea lanes, cargo ships, and convoys would be a great addition.  This brings me to another idea: how to attack the convoys.  In WWII, the most common ways to attack a convoy were with PT-boats, TBM's, b-26's, ju-88's, mosquitoes, and (probably the most common and notorious way) u-boats.  Adding the mossie is already a very popular idea, but adding a u-boat (provided measures are taken to ensure that they aren't uber subs) would be another excellent idea-what's the benefit for HTC on adding u-boats?  Increased profits by attracting navy simmers to AH.

phew  *takes huge breath*

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2001, 10:58:00 AM »
Yep, suggestions like these have been put forth since Oct of 1999, we can just hope that they'll be added.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2001, 02:26:00 PM »
I haven't seen anyone disagree that the above would make the game more enjoyable.  Trains and bridges would be awesome IMO.  

I guess it comes down to HTC weighing all the pros and cons and deciding not to do it.  There really must be some hidden "cons" that aren't readily apparent... except maybe that damned framerate hit.

Can't say I'm overly happy with their decision not to include the additions. :(

AKDejaVu

Offline AKHog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2001, 02:50:00 PM »
Give it time.
We got to remember how many people write code for HTC and AH. I'm sure its not so much that they dont want to do it, its just there are other things that are a higher on the list.

We asked for a navy for a long time, and we got it. We asked for different planes, and in most cases we get em. We ask for a lot of things, some get put on the list, some dont.

That being said, I think the plane set is complete enough *for now*. and I do believe HTC has trains and things on the list, just a matter of time imo.....
The journey is the destination.

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2001, 04:38:00 PM »
Actually HT has had trains and things on his mind from the begining. I visited him while still in Alpha testing and we talked about it. He wants to do it but as someone already pointed out, there is only 6 people at HTC and HT does all the game programming. It will take time but I beleive we will see it all eventually.

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline DocFalconer1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2001, 07:59:00 AM »
Ouch...knew they had a small crew, but didn't know that they had only 6 people...

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2001, 09:05:00 AM »
Trains would be great for supply etc. Roads for faster travel by vehicles and bridges as choke points....
 I think HTC will surprise us. IF not. I like straffing, boming and fighting the gv's in the battles we have already.

-Westy

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2001, 09:09:00 AM »
Trains would be great for supply etc. Roads for faster travel by vehicles and bridges as choke points....
 I think HTC will surprise us. IF not. I like straffing, boming and fighting the gv's in the battles we have already.

-Westy

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2001, 09:13:00 AM »

-Westy

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2001, 09:20:00 AM »
I find there aren't enough mobile targets for my Il-2 or Typhoon to kill at the moment.

GV fodder...err... drivers need more incentive to come out and play.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2001, 09:44:00 AM »
the jap mini-sub would be cool for a future update